Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger price hikes: what's your opinion?

Supercharger price hikes: what's your opinion?

• I mainly charge at home and I think higher Superchargers costs are good

Votes: 152 80.4%
  • I mainly charge at Superchargers and I think higher Supercharger costs are bad

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • I am a fictitious person

Votes: 19 10.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I put in an 80 amp charger (Tesla) on a route not on Tesla's scope. NOT a supercharger, just 80 amp wall charger, and a 14-50 for anyone who wanted to use it. I paid $1500. Listening to people cry about 8 cents or 15 cents per kWh just makes me shake my head. Tesla pays for the property lease by the year, the equipment, and the installation, and then they used to pay for the power, and people abused it by driving five or ten miles to get "free" charging, sitting for hours to top up the battery, because charging at home would have been "expensive".

I'm glad Tesla is starting to have people pay more for charging. Free stuff is always abused.
Nice! i'm guessing you have a winery? is this why you installed the charger?

Wow, that is a rather misplaced comment from someone attempting to agree with you, in a roundabout sarcastic way.
But you weren’t agreeing with me.

The way I understood your post was, you mocking me for saying teslas supercharging network shouldn’t be a profit center
Which I never said. Elon Musk said it wouldn’t be, Elon Musk said they were only going to charge what they pay for electricity.

So now tesla backtracking and lowering the price makes it look like they were charging more than they paid for electricity.

But then again this falls into teslas regular operating procedure. Their policies change based on Elon’s mood.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

I love how people like you who recently purchased a tesla feel like they can criticize others based on only the information you know now.

Sigh.. ok so now were stereotyping each other in this thread?

People like you?
Wait... most people like me who bought late are the ones being involved in the rate hike no? (late buyers)
And people like you who got the cars earily have super charging for life?

maybe we should say do you like to troll much?
o_O

Or are you ranting because you have a M3 and your lurking in the Model S section?

Lemme kindly requote what whiteX said which i find is totally appropriate for this thread being in this section.

Poorly chosen survey answers (missing a number obvious choices, one example being "I charge at superchargers and think it's reasonable"). Also, survey aimed at the wrong audience - most Model S owners have free supercharging today.

Garbage-in => garbage out. Bad survey => meaningless results.

White totally hit on the mark with this comment.

So SIR....
If you want more love, goto the M3 section.
Im fairly sure you will get more pitchforks on your side there then here.

Last edited:
Really? You spend $500 a month and would spend $600 to $700 a month -- that's 20% to 40% more -- buying gas elsewhere? No Costco where I live but I didn't realize that the cost savings was that large.

If you drive a shitty gas guzzler it is. Even when I crunch my numbers against say getting a Prius I'm still looking at car payment + gas of around $450+ depending how much I drive .

Bigger question is why are you not driving a Tesla? You are on a Tesla board \i/ saying you buy $500 a month in gas. I have a referral code that would give you 6 months of free gas!

Ironically. I'm cheap. I make more than enough money being self employed to drive a p100d. I just can't justify negative equity items. I like traveling more. I became a fan because of the model 3's starting price back in the olden days .

At this point I'm looking at a used model S.

Thanks for the reffrere though!

Would you rather have cheaper charging or less congestion at Superchargers.

I see people lining up for long waits to save a few cents/gallon at Costco gas stations. Believe the below market pricing at Superchargers has contributed to the posts about congestion at Urban Superchargers.

Raising prices will allow Tesla to pay off some debts, finance the V3 faster Superchargers and reduce unwanted congestion and over use.

The German manufacturers have often commented that providing charging at below cost pricing is unsustainable.

Not sure what you mean by below market prices. In California, superchargers are now 3x more expensive than my ev-a rate at home. Thank goodness I have free supercharging for life. My commute is 260 miles round trip.

As long as it remains less than gas I am OK with it. But that does not appear to be the case in many areas. I understand it should be more expensive than home charging. I just wish they did not make it free for so many X and S owners as free makes people do crazy things.
Most model S/X owners are wealthy enough to own their own home and therefore charge at home. I have lifetime free supercharging from when I bought my Model S over a year ago. So far I have used a supercharger 10 times total.

As far as price, Tesla should charge whatever the market will bear. Subsidizing the price of superchargers by cannibalizing other business units' cash flow is not a viable long term strategy. Price signals need to be accurate to optimize the supply/demand curves and make the most economic good for the most people.

If you drive a shitty gas guzzler it is. Even when I crunch my numbers against say getting a Prius I'm still looking at car payment + gas of around $450+ depending how much I drive .
I can well believe that someone would pay $500 a month for gas. What surprised me was the claim that gas costs 20% to 40% more when purchased at places other than Costco. Not that I would know, since there is no Costco within hundreds of miles from where I live and I don't buy gas (or pay attention to prices) anyway.

Last edited:
Most model S/X owners are wealthy enough to own their own home and therefore charge at home. I have lifetime free supercharging from when I bought my Model S over a year ago. So far I have used a supercharger 10 times total.

As far as price, Tesla should charge whatever the market will bear. Subsidizing the price of superchargers by cannibalizing other business units' cash flow is not a viable long term strategy. Price signals need to be accurate to optimize the supply/demand curves and make the most economic good for the most people.
If all Model S/X drivers were like you we would not be having this issue. Glad to hear you are following the spirit of the charging system.

My wife and I put in an 80 amp charger (Tesla) on a route not on Tesla's scope. NOT a supercharger, just 80 amp wall charger, and a 14-50 for anyone who wanted to use it. I paid $1500. Listening to people cry about 8 cents or 15 cents per kWh just makes me shake my head. Tesla pays for the property lease by the year, the equipment, and the installation, and then they used to pay for the power, and people abused it by driving five or ten miles to get "free" charging, sitting for hours to top up the battery, because charging at home would have been "expensive".

I'm glad Tesla is starting to have people pay more for charging. Free stuff is always abused.

What are you basing the free supercharging abuse claim on? I don't recall reading about that in Tesla's press release

Ironically. I'm cheap. I make more than enough money being self employed to drive a p100d. I just can't justify negative equity items. I like traveling more. I became a fan because of the model 3's starting price back in the olden days .

At this point I'm looking at a used model S.

Thanks for the reffrere though!

So I checked Gassbuddy.com for all the Costcos in my area (not picking one in particular), and to save $100 a month based on all the gas prices near them you would have to buy 714 gallons of gas a month...or 1428 gallons a month to save the $200 you mentioned. I don't see how you can save $100 to $200 a month on $500 of gas at Costco.