Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger price hikes: what's your opinion?

Supercharger price hikes: what's your opinion?

• I mainly charge at home and I think higher Superchargers costs are good

Votes: 152 80.4%
  • I mainly charge at Superchargers and I think higher Supercharger costs are bad

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • I am a fictitious person

Votes: 19 10.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have all paid for it. About 2k of the purchase price was factored in to support superchargers

What is the source of that claim?

It's pretty obvious that the cost/car or the SC network depends upon the volume of production as well as whether you got free SC'ing or not. Since Tesla has been ramping production upwards faster than the SC network buildout, the cost/car has been falling.

The supercharger network is huge and the vast majority of SC'ers are still barely utilized but they still need to be there for the network to be effective. So the cost of increasing SC network capacity is not proportional to the increase in Tesla sales. It's less.

Prices should be increased, even more - higher than utility rates to reflect the price of the infrastructure. Even consider pricing based on demand - ie higher prices at locations and times when the facility is near 100 percent in use.
Supercharger convenience has not been priced into their use - and definitely needs to be done.
EV public charging needs a sustainable model - free or under market pricing is not sustainable. In fact, just like Tesla looks forward to EV competition, we should all be looking forward to public EV competition that is sustainable from a market perspective..

What is the source of that claim?

It's pretty obvious that the cost/car or the SC network depends upon the volume of production as well as whether you got free SC'ing or not. Since Tesla has been ramping production upwards faster than the SC network buildout, the cost/car has been falling.

The supercharger network is huge and the vast majority of SC'ers are still barely utilized but they still need to be there for the network to be effective. So the cost of increasing SC network capacity is not proportional to the increase in Tesla sales. It's less.
Its based on Tesla. Before free supercharging was around it was a $2k option to add it on to your car.

I don't agree with the way Tesla is increasing the cost for ALL of the superchargers. I agree that they should not be free because people abuse of them however it doesn't make any sense to increase the cost of supercharging like they did in Quebec.

We pay electricity here at 8cents kWh (day or night) and tesla is basically charging 15$ for a 60 kWh charge... especially in winter when the charging is slower and usually unavoidable. I usually charge at 60kWh / hour in winter time. So the cost of electricity for Telsa is 4,80$ for the electricity and yet they charge 15$. Our public charging stations here are, for the most part, much slower but a lot less expensive then supercharging. Tesla could easily charge the equivalent of 8$ for a 60 kWh charge and make 200% profit. They could easily adjust depending on the electricity prices to have something a little more reasonable.

With these changes most new telsa owners will go on the public charging network which will make all other EV owners mad.

Reactions: Eevee
We pay electricity here at 8cents kWh (day or night) and tesla is basically charging 15$ for a 60 kWh charge... especially in winter when the charging is slower and usually unavoidable. I usually charge at 60kWh / hour in winter time. So the cost of electricity for Telsa is 4,80$ for the electricity and yet they charge 15$. Our public charging stations here are, for the most part, much slower but a lot less expensive then supercharging. Tesla could easily charge the equivalent of 8$ for a 60 kWh charge and make 200% profit. They could easily adjust depending on the electricity prices to have something a little more reasonable.

If you think charging networks are so lucrative, I'm pretty confident Tesla would let you get some like-minded investors together and create your own for-profit SC network. Tesla would probably sell you the necessary equipment at close to cost and help your new for profit company with technical matters. It wouldn't bother Tesla one bit if you tried to undercut them on price either. They might require you to build out in a useable manner, across the continent, so you weren't just soaking up the customers from the highest volume stations.

I don't agree with the way Tesla is increasing the cost for ALL of the superchargers. I agree that they should not be free because people abuse of them however it doesn't make any sense to increase the cost of supercharging like they did in Quebec.

With these changes most new telsa owners will go on the public charging network which will make all other EV owners mad.
That is indeed quite an increase. Model 3 is selling like hot cakes and I bet Tesla is faced with a dilemma. Superchargers are packed and I dont think its cost beneficial for them to add more. I suspect superchargers are quite costly to install. Im sure they have done the math.

Still $15 is cheaper than a gas vehicle.

Reactions: Science fan

I am sorry, but I have no sympathy for a Quebecor complaining about electricity rates knowing that Quebec poaches another province for their electricity.

That is good point. There is a level 2 charger across the parking lot from Kamloops superchargers. It is free. Imagine a guy with a Bolt/Leaf pulling in and seeing a Tesla charging at the level 2 charger while the superchargers are unoccupied. I wouldn't want to be the Tesla owner having that conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many people who replied in this thread have super charging for life, and just venting, because they like to vent. :X

As for price hikes... im in the group that has super charging for life, so if someone else has to pay for it, then so be it, as long as my super charging for life doesn't go away.

But i am not going to be happy if Tesla can no longer support even supercharging for life, because of all the M3 owners, and we are forced to pay.

So as rude as it may sound, if i dont need to pay because i was promised i wouldnt, and someone else has to pay because they bought their car late, then so be it. Nothing in the world is fair, and someone always ends up having to pay for it.

If your not happy, then just dont use the superchargers, im pretty sure they will still be full with other M3 owners and people like me will still need to wait in line for 30 min to use the charger.

And yes, its gotten really bad at the super chargers in a high density city.
There be fights breaking out even from people who say they were first in line.

So other EV's getting mad at you using public? HA... come to LA, try to line steal a Super charger, you'll get every Tesla owner thinking s/he's entitled more then you come raining down on your door.

I mainly charge at home and have free SuperCharging but I don't like the fee increases.
I think free or low cost SuperCharging is a huge draw and can help get more people into electric cars.
I don't think the model needs to be 'sustainable' at the moment. I think it must be seen as an investment.

I think it's OK to charge something for SuperCharging but just a tiny amount to help deter people from using it when they don't need to. As it stands, the major deterrent is that the chargers are often very busy.

Reactions: twonius
It's sad. In many areas the cost of driving a Tesla and filling at a station is now considerably higher than driving ICE and filling with gas.

Being that Tesla's site bragged over and over about the gas savings and it now costs more, I don't know what to think other than adoption will surely slow. I don't think people want to pay more per mile than driving their old car. I already do charging at home here in MI (.18). Costs me $18 to "fill" and I would get 170 miles range (winter). Gas is $2/gal. I only need 8 gallons $16 to drive that far in a full size car.

$2 a gallon! Must be nice lol
Try almost $4 in Los Angeles
It's sad. In many areas the cost of driving a Tesla and filling at a station is now considerably higher than driving ICE and filling with gas.

Being that Tesla's site bragged over and over about the gas savings and it now costs more, I don't know what to think other than adoption will surely slow. I don't think people want to pay more per mile than driving their old car. I already do charging at home here in MI (.18). Costs me $18 to "fill" and I would get 170 miles range (winter). Gas is $2/gal. I only need 8 gallons $16 to drive that far in a full size car.

From a non Tesla owner (but all EV family) I’m very happy to see it. Probably 97 percent of our charging is done at home where it’s suppised to be done. When I do a road trip I don’t want to arrive at a congested fast charger because it’s cheaper than at home.

Personally I think theee times the cost of home charging for any given region is a nice number.

JMHO.