TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger Price Increase

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by seattlite2004, Mar 11, 2018.

1. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

• Informative x 6
  2. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Wow, some of those are massive.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

I can only speak to the South Carolina pricing. Typical SCE&G pricing is 15 cents per kWh. Tesla is charging 20 cents which represents a 33% profit. Things will only get worse as the price of electricity continues to climb. Already it's getting close to the cost of gasoline. With 50 solar panels on our roof, I'm not that concerned.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  4. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

You can’t call the markup a profit with out factoring in the massive cost to build these stations. My thoughts are that Tesla sees an opportunity to make the supercharger program pay for itself and has raised prices accordingly.

Another point: Superchargers are not gas stations they are for long range travel, your EV equivalent is the charger at your house, ideally setup for EV off peak rate plan.

• Like x 14
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 2
  5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Before hike, 10 other states were at or higher than California's rate.... Now only 5 are. Interesting since more Tesla's are in California than any other state.

My use case for SC use is only long drives. I have solar and will always choose home over SC. Nonetheless I am irritated by the hike and it's very rare affect on me. Even if it is the cost of doing business and not a profit center, it is just as irksome to receive the price hike story from Tesla as it is from the power company, cable company, or insurance agent!

How is it that everybody always raises their rates at a clip that somehow always outstrips inflation and my raises?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
  6. UZJedi

UZJedi Member

Given what we know about Tesla, it's likely that they were overly optimistic about the rates to begin with and this is a big correction. I am in Washington and not super excited about the giant hike, but I won't be using them unless on a road trip anyway so it still won't impact me that much.

If this means more charging stations and upgrades to old ones, I am actually somewhat supportive. Tesla can't take losses forever.

• Like x 11
  7. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

This. When used as intended (occasional recharging when away from home), the price hike won't hit hard at all.

• Like x 5
  8. fr100

fr100 Member

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I could not care less for my personal use, but I wonder what it means in the context of Semi Truck charging.

• Informative x 1
  10. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

FUnny thing is, with whatever sketchy non-gaap accounting method they are using, the results on the financial statements will somehow be the opposite of what you assume :p

• Like x 1
  11. Insight75

Insight75 Member

They need to factor in cost of electricity for the Model S and X. Currently they are free to use Superchargers. They have to start making this up. My Model 3 will likely never go on a road trip. My Model X will for sure.

• Like x 1
  12. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Commercial sites like these often attract utility demand charges which residential customers typically do not pay. Demand charges at at Supercharger station could dwarf the volumetric kWh charge due to the massive demand load at these stations.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 4
  14. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

I expect that the S and X fleet will become an increasingly small portion of the total as 3 and, eventually, Y sales increase. However, I do wonder if free Supercharging will continue for future S and X sales.

Many prospective Model 3 buyers in this forum have said that they don't plan to use the car much on road trips, so for those folks this price increase will have little impact, save for those without home or workplace charging who were planning to use Superchargers as the primary means of charging.

15. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

• Like x 9
    • Helpful x 1
  16. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Confused.... California now costs $0.26 per kWh....except at the MegaCharger for the semi, then it's $0.07/kWh. Oh, and the $0.07 is guaranteed.

If you buy a semi at $180K (not a huge premium over a loaded P100D), you get what is estimated to have around 900kWh. If you assume the truck (non-battery) portion of the cost is at least $30K (make your own assumptions here), then that leaves $150K for the batteries. That's $167/kWh ($150K/900kWh) which is way less than the current cars. Big time. So explain how the semi with it's super cheap (subsidized?) batteries and guaranteed super cheap electricity MegaChargers (which must cost a sh!t-ton to build out) make sense in this Tesla eco-system? How can it make sense for Tesla to promise $0.07/kWh for the semis when they just had to hike the SC in California from $0.20/kWh to $0.26/kWh? Is the plan for the M3's and Y's use of the superchargers now subsidizing the semis as well as the S/X? Doesn't sit well with me.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

Easy fix, just add solar and batteries. Wonder where Tesla could get that from? Anyone wanna guess what the extra money will be used for... More superchargers and solar+batteries maybe?

18. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

and the Mod S/X folks that don't get free supercharging....someone has to pay and help the Tesla cash burn. Even with the Supercharger price increase...its still cheaper than the CSS/CHAdeMO chargers.

• Like x 2
  19. goto10

goto10 Member

While I'm disappointed at the cost it's still usually better than gas and most people won't depend on it except for roadtripping.

Still, the "it will never be a profit center" thing isn't that reassuring. The Supercharger network was/is a major play. I doubt even at the new rates that they are likely to recover their capital investment any time soon. It's very possible that they are still heavily subsidizing and that the breakeven cost would be prohibitively expensive.

20. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

$8,000 cash burn / minute
    Q4-2017 EPS - $-4.01

Can we please forever and until the end of time STFU about Tesla being greedy, gouging, lying about "profit centers", etc.

@NerdUno - not calling you out specifically but would be nice all the complainers memorize those numbers before posting.

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1