Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing in WA State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about how SC pricing in WA state is determined and if fellow Tesla drivers even care. The data below was pulled from my car's SC map today.

Clearly, the metro Seattle area has the lowest pricing, with $.18/kwh except for 11 AM - 8 PM which is $.36/kwh.

The three most expensive in the state are Aberdeen and North Bend (both $.43/kwh) plus Burlington ($.40/kwh)

I have used the information to plan my trips as some of the neighboring pairs of SC have wide swings in pricing. For example, Centralia is $.38/kwh and Tumwater is $.37/kwh but Kelso is only $.26/kwh. Monroe is $.24/kwh on one side of Stevens Pass but Leavenworth is $.33/kwh on the other side.

For quick mental math, I just assume if you multiply the kwh price by 10 then you have the approx. gasoline-equivalent fuel cost. So paying $.25/kwh is like paying $2.50 for gas. I know that's not precise but it does allow for a quick mental comparison and maybe makes a more real cost per charge make sense.

1651008557592.png

Energy costs vary based on area and how power is generated. Land Lease rates and infrastructure costs all play into needing an ROI.
agree but I guess I'm wondering if people look at this and decide to skip an SC due to cost.

Driving from LA recently, I tried to minimize Cal SC due to their costs and stretching in Myrtle Creek, OR rather than the Medford area because my S could then reach Kelso skipping all other OR SC and also allowing me to skip the pricey Centralia SC

i thought Liberty Lake was the Spokane charger.
Liberty Lake was added as a part of the sales and service center that was built (and just opened) out there.

To make matters more confusing, the service center was originally in Spokane proper. The Spokane supercharger was then built (and is just outside of Spokane city limits). Then the sales department was added. Finally, the new sales and service center was built and opened.

2022-04-27_13-36-56.png

Reactions: Spiegels
agree but I guess I'm wondering if people look at this and decide to skip an SC due to cost.

Driving from LA recently, I tried to minimize Cal SC due to their costs and stretching in Myrtle Creek, OR rather than the Medford area because my S could then reach Kelso skipping all other OR SC and also allowing me to skip the pricey Centralia SC
I think you answered your own question.

Reactions: DSolie
Depends how much time I have... I'm in Seattle like every other week, so I'm well aware of the costs of the SC... When I have time, I'll stop by Northgate during the cheap hours... If I don't have time, I try to squeeze in Bellevue before 11am, even tho it's slower... But depending on how many clients I have to see and where, I won't be able to charge until I leave... Which may or may not be before 8pm. When everythign works out tho, I can definitely see the price difference... So a few weeks ago when I was driving up to Canada, I made sure to strategically stop to minimize costs, lol...

Reactions: Spiegels
Depends how much time I have... I'm in Seattle like every other week, so I'm well aware of the costs of the SC... When I have time, I'll stop by Northgate during the cheap hours... If I don't have time, I try to squeeze in Bellevue before 11am, even tho it's slower... But depending on how many clients I have to see and where, I won't be able to charge until I leave... Which may or may not be before 8pm. When everythign works out tho, I can definitely see the price difference... So a few weeks ago when I was driving up to Canada, I made sure to strategically stop to minimize costs, lol...
This is really an awareness thing. I haven’t seen any conversation about the SC costs which are pretty high compared to what residents pay to charge at home. I spend the winter in CA where “OFF PEAK” home rates are $.19 and peak is $.31. Home charging for me in Seattle is $.11 always and I’m producing a lot of free electricity with my solar panels.

I understand for some people the price doesn’t matter, convenience and getting on with the next thing is top of mind. I was definitely surprised when I realized how much the cost varies along I-5 and planned my SC visits accordingly. Also, with a new S I have a lot of range flexibility there’s might not have.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I'm curious about how SC pricing in WA state is determined and if fellow Tesla drivers even care. The data below was pulled from my car's SC map today.

Clearly, the metro Seattle area has the lowest pricing, with $.18/kwh except for 11 AM - 8 PM which is $.36/kwh.

The three most expensive in the state are Aberdeen and North Bend (both $.43/kwh) plus Burlington ($.40/kwh)

I have used the information to plan my trips as some of the neighboring pairs of SC have wide swings in pricing. For example, Centralia is $.38/kwh and Tumwater is $.37/kwh but Kelso is only $.26/kwh. Monroe is $.24/kwh on one side of Stevens Pass but Leavenworth is $.33/kwh on the other side.

For quick mental math, I just assume if you multiply the kwh price by 10 then you have the approx. gasoline-equivalent fuel cost. So paying $.25/kwh is like paying $2.50 for gas. I know that's not precise but it does allow for a quick mental comparison and maybe makes a more real cost per charge make sense.

View attachment 797862
I am at Leavenworth on Sun July 3 and my Hertz rental Model Y is being charged $8.72 @ 17 kWh, so that is $0.51 - about the same as gas ($5/gal).

I am at Leavenworth on Sun July 3 and my Hertz rental Model Y is being charged $8.72 @ 17 kWh, so that is $0.51 - about the same as gas ($5/gal).
What I have noticed is that the prices went way up one month ago (Seattle rose from $.18 off peak to $.24 and then came back down to $.18 a few weeks later.) Other locations had similar rises but I didn’t check all to see if they came back down. I don’t know enough to understand why there was a short term increase as there was no change in residential energy costs temporarily during that time but I don’t know enough to understand how commercial power supply is priced.

Greater Seattle remains the lowest in the state but I don’t understand the pricing in some surrounding communities like Centralia, Burlington and North Bend. It seems like pricing is taking advantage of people traveling through those areas without a lot of options.

What I have noticed is that the prices went way up one month ago (Seattle rose from $.18 off peak to $.24 and then came back down to $.18 a few weeks later.) Other locations had similar rises but I didn’t check all to see if they came back down. I don’t know enough to understand why there was a short term increase as there was no change in residential energy costs temporarily during that time but I don’t know enough to understand how commercial power supply is priced.

Greater Seattle remains the lowest in the state but I don’t understand the pricing in some surrounding communities like Centralia, Burlington and North Bend. It seems like pricing is taking advantage of people traveling through those areas without a lot of options.
I know there was some outcry about supercharger costs and I think Musk might have said something about having them review cost and then surprise surprise there was a decrease after a recent increase. Supercharger pricing is getting high though, we need to see the way utilities charge for this change before we'll see real change on the supercharger (or other charging company) front. Demand charges are insane and need to be absorbed into the per kW delivery rate. I seriously hope Tesla actual holds to what it says and doesn't try to use the supercharger network as a profit center. I know there's a lot of pressure on them right now burning through cash and it could be very tempting to just bump them up to "skim" some money off the superchargers...