Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing in WA State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at Leavenworth on Sun July 3 and my Hertz rental Model Y is being charged $8.72 @ 17 kWh, so that is $0.51 - about the same as gas ($5/gal).
The 10 multiple doesn’t really work because you need to compare to the type of car you are replacing. If you just want to compare price per energy, that doesn’t really account for cost per mile.

1 gal of gas is equivalent to 33.7 kWh of energy. So in direct energy equivalents, a LR M3/Y with an 80kwh battery is only equivalent to 2.5gal of gas. If you get 300 miles on a full 100%-0 run, that’s 120 mpg. If that 80kwh costs you $40 to fill up, the equivalent energy in gas at 2.5gal would cost you $16/gal. Diving by 10 gets you to $1.60 per gallon.

In your example you have to compare price and efficiency to compare. A model Y is about 300wh/mile so the $0.51/kWh will get you about 3.3miles/kwh or $0.155/mi. $5/gal gas would be cost equal to a car that gets 32 mpg. As long as you are comparing to cars that get 32 mpg your 10x works. If it is more or less efficient then you’d adjust accordingly.

Sorry to do a deep dive, feel free to ignore my ramblings.

The 10 multiple doesn’t really work because you need to compare to the type of car you are replacing. If you just want to compare price per energy, that doesn’t really account for cost per mile.

1 gal of gas is equivalent to 33.7 kWh of energy. So in direct energy equivalents, a LR M3/Y with an 80kwh battery is only equivalent to 2.5gal of gas. If you get 300 miles on a full 100%-0 run, that’s 120 mpg. If that 80kwh costs you $40 to fill up, the equivalent energy in gas at 2.5gal would cost you $16/gal. Diving by 10 gets you to $1.60 per gallon.

In your example you have to compare price and efficiency to compare. A model Y is about 300wh/mile so the $0.51/kWh will get you about 3.3miles/kwh or $0.155/mi. $5/gal gas would be cost equal to a car that gets 32 mpg. As long as you are comparing to cars that get 32 mpg your 10x works. If it is more or less efficient then you’d adjust accordingly.

Sorry to do a deep dive, feel free to ignore my ramblings.
I don’t disagree or dislike your comments. I was just trying to make some estimation that’s easy to grab on to. My model S gets 405 miles (supposedly) so it’s different than all the calculations for the more popular Y, which comes in different variations which makes having a single standard estimation difficult.

I don’t disagree or dislike your comments. I was just trying to make some estimation that’s easy to grab on to. My model S gets 405 miles (supposedly) so it’s different than all the calculations for the more popular Y, which comes in different variations which makes having a single standard estimation difficult.
Yes, completely agree. Just like an etron is different than Tesla since it is much less efficient. Or the eHummer…People just need to understand its not a simple conversion. It depends which car you are coming from and which car you are going to need how much electricity costs in your area.

Reactions: Spiegels
Yes, completely agree. Just like an etron is different than Tesla since it is much less efficient. Or the eHummer…People just need to understand its not a simple conversion. It depends which car you are coming from and which car you are going to need how much electricity costs in your area.
Even so, the point of the original post was to raise awareness of the wide disparity in pricing in our state. For example on the I5 side of the state, once you leave greater Seattle, prices are much higher (50 - 100%). On long drives, especially considering the range I have, I look at supercharger pricing and plan my stops. Also I’m fortunate because my car can charge at rates that are between 500-1,000 miles per hour. Up to the 70% or so of max.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Got my first Tesla (Model Y) on the recent deal. I was topping off supercharger at Turnwater around 9PM-ish early Feb and it was $.46 kWh. How do you guys find the pricing for superchargers? I'd like to plan ahead and choose which supercharger to use and what time to max the benefit.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, the trip planner doesn't tell me the cost of chargers when I search for superchargers.

Got my first Tesla (Model Y) on the recent deal. I was topping off supercharger at Turnwater around 9PM-ish early Feb and it was $.46 kWh. How do you guys find the pricing for superchargers? I'd like to plan ahead and choose which supercharger to use and what time to max the benefit.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, the trip planner doesn't tell me the cost of chargers when I search for superchargers.

Tapping a Supercharger pin on the map will bring up that station’s pricing, busy times of day, nearby amenities and other information like restroom access code, if applicable.

For example, here is Ballard:

A826B8EC-358C-4D08-A748-6C1580BFBA73.jpeg

Tapping a Supercharger pin on the map will bring up that station’s pricing, busy times of day, nearby amenities and other information like restroom access code, if applicable.

For example, here is Ballard:

View attachment 904397
I believe if you click on the SC in the map it will display the cost and other SC info.

Awesome. Just verified that I could do this too! Thank you both. It was my user error when seting my destination to a SC and it only showed me POI not the price.

Reactions: Jamezam
Awesome. Just verified that I could do this too! Thank you both. It was my user error when seting my destination to a SC and it only showed me POI not the price.
If you are in Renton, the cheapest SC, is the new v3 they just opened at South Center. It's 30 cents all day... I usually go to that one, or Northgate. Northgate is tiered pricing, but if you go during off-peak, it's the cheapest v3 supercharger in the area.

If you are in Renton, the cheapest SC, is the new v3 they just opened at South Center. It's 30 cents all day... I usually go to that one, or Northgate. Northgate is tiered pricing, but if you go during off-peak, it's the cheapest v3 supercharger in the area.
I used the Tukwila SC last weekend and middle of the day rate was $.35/kWh - late night was $.17/kWh. a change from $.31/kWh at all hours in December. It looks like similar changes to all puget sound SC.

I used the Tukwila SC last weekend and middle of the day rate was $.35/kWh - late night was $.17/kWh. a change from $.31/kWh at all hours in December. It looks like similar changes to all puget sound SC.
Interesting. I just checked my invoice, since I charged at Tukwila last night. It looks like I still paid 30 cents kwh. I'll have to double check what the car says later.

I have free supercharging on my 2015 MS, and I don't get the pricing info. So, tell me if the cost is .35 do you multiply that by time or what the car says its sucking in? But, it seems that the incoming power varies according to the charge.
Total energy (power*time) delivered, which is measured in kWh (kilowatt hours), not kW (kilowatts) which is power. 35¢ per kWh.