Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Pricing Map?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think im an idiot but did they remove the supercharger rates in v11? I could have sworn it was there when I clicked on the supercharger in the car but I cant find the rates anymore...

"
Specific pricing for each Supercharger site is shown on the selected pin’s pop-up on your touchscreen. When your charging session is complete, an estimate of the final charges is shown on the screen. Final invoices are available in your Tesla Account, in the ‘Charging’ section.
"

Did they remove this or am I just doing it wrong?

I think im an idiot but did they remove the supercharger rates in v11? I could have sworn it was there when I clicked on the supercharger in the car but I cant find the rates anymore...

"
Specific pricing for each Supercharger site is shown on the selected pin’s pop-up on your touchscreen. When your charging session is complete, an estimate of the final charges is shown on the screen. Final invoices are available in your Tesla Account, in the ‘Charging’ section.
"

Did they remove this or am I just doing it wrong?

Supercharger pricing was still there last time I checked. Example:

1655257707287.jpeg

Did you somehow get free Supercharging pushed to your car? That’d be pretty sweet. 😜 (I think prices don’t show up if you have free Supercharging.)

Supercharger pricing was still there last time I checked. Example:

View attachment 816751

Did you somehow get free Supercharging pushed to your car? That’d be pretty sweet. 😜 (I think prices don’t show up if you have free Supercharging.)
oh i see it now thank you for that. I kept clicking on the list on the left which directed me to the charger instead of zooming out on the map and selecting the pins.

Reactions: jsmay311
Another price increase… around here, CA Bay Area “discount” pricing moved up 15%, “peak” pricing moved up ~ >20% now .58$. The other thing that was pretty sneaky IMHO is that discount pricing timing moved back from up to 10:00 AM to 08:00… so clearly they found that many SFW or others were charging between 8-10 and they can now essentially gouge them at .58$ per kWh. (Which is about 50% higher than the regular PGE rate at that time). Not really sure how any of that makes sense as those hours are LOWER priced across the board for electricity, but IMHO its now moved into a PROFIT center vs. a “don’t expect to make any money from it”..

Another price increase… around here, CA Bay Area “discount” pricing moved up 15%, “peak” pricing moved up ~ >20% now .58$. The other thing that was pretty sneaky IMHO is that discount pricing timing moved back from up to 10:00 AM to 08:00… so clearly they found that many SFW or others were charging between 8-10 and they can now essentially gouge them at .58$ per kWh. (Which is about 50% higher than the regular PGE rate at that time). Not really sure how any of that makes sense as those hours are LOWER priced across the board for electricity, but IMHO its now moved into a PROFIT center vs. a “don’t expect to make any money from it”..
It is possible that the demand rate that Tesla pays has a different TOU schedule than the TOU rates paid by others. Or, perhaps you are correct and Tesla just wants some additional revenue. Those using the Superchargers will either adapt to the new schedule or just have to pay the peak rate.

Where I live, Supercharging typically costs about triple the residential electric rate, so 200% higher. FWIW.

Reactions: KJD
It is possible that the demand rate that Tesla pays has a different TOU schedule than the TOU rates paid by others. Or, perhaps you are correct and Tesla just wants some additional revenue. Those using the Superchargers will either adapt to the new schedule or just have to pay the peak rate.

Where I live, Supercharging typically costs about triple the residential electric rate, so 200% higher. FWIW.
It’s possible, although I will say that at about 07:00 PST is exactly when renewables ramp up about 4-5X and available supply vs. demand is about 2.5x so that is exactly when the providor should be trying to encourage consumption - and thereby charging to get ppl to charge then vs. later in the day when demand/supply is only in balance and then renewables start to go offline. unsure, but a better alignment and coordination is going to be required going forward to make all this more predictable, efficient and manageable.

It’s possible, although I will say that at about 07:00 PST is exactly when renewables ramp up about 4-5X and available supply vs. demand is about 2.5x so that is exactly when the providor should be trying to encourage consumption - and thereby charging to get ppl to charge then vs. later in the day when demand/supply is only in balance and then renewables start to go offline. unsure, but a better alignment and coordination is going to be required going forward to make all this more predictable, efficient and manageable.
There is a recent stdy from Standford University showing that EVs should be chrged during the day before 4 PM when there is a solar energy surplus.

I'm unable to currently see SC prices on my in-dash nav. Bay Area. Maybe they took the API offline for price updates? I can still charge speeds and live stall usage though. I'm on 2022.20.17.

I think focusing solely on the guessed-at price Tesla pays for the power omits the very considerable costs of setting up a SuperCharger station, getting rights to the property, and so forth. Simple business economics suggest Tesla might try to lower those costs by nudging people toward the less busy hours, thereby lowering peak usage, and thus reducing setup and capital costs.

Reactions: Farmer and Rocky_H
Not sure exactly when it happened (I suspect quite recently), but Tesla has pushed out peak/off-peak pricing to Supercharger locations in a bunch more states, including my home state.

One interesting thing that I noticed looking at prices around Chicago is that many of the locations that were switched to peak/off-peak pricing also have a nearby location with newly discounted fixed prices. For example, most Superchargers in Chicagoland currently have a fixed price in the range of $0.38-0.42/kWh. The handful of new peak/off-peak locations are $0.52-0.54/kWh peak and $0.26-0.27/kWh off-peak. And a handful of other locations that are nearby peak/off-peak locations have lower fixed prices of $0.26-0.27/kWh.

Seems like Tesla is trying to ease congestion at busy locations 2 ways: by instituting peak/off-peak prices at those busy locations AND by lowering the fixed prices at nearby locations to draw demand away from the busy locations.

Of course, these pricing schemes would be more effective if Tesla would just publish the prices online. :rolleyes:

1666111470533.png

Since Tesla knows when each kWh was purchased at each site, they can figure out what to charge. Remember that utility rates for commercial installations can be quite complex. Not just due to the demand charge but also ratchets that lock in a minimum demand charge for a period of time (like a year) and block kWh pricing. Usually more kWh usage in a month results in lower per kWh charge. Then there are sometimes time of day/ time of use schedules. Rolling all this into a per kWh charge can get quite complicated.

Reactions: moa999
All our local OFF PEAK pricing jumped up this week to a PENNY below the peak pricIng. OFF PEAK is now ~.42 vs. .43-.45 PEAK. What else happened this week in this area? Bay Area had the worst power outages due to storm damage in over 15 years. In my area of COURSE people were having to charge their Teslas, I saw 8-10 Tesla at the local Menlo Park charger in the early morning hours this week when there are usually NONE.. and by 09:00 it was full.

I could sort of understand if pricing was built to be somewhat elastic, that’s sort of lame though. But it would be REALLY s…ty if they simply jacked it up knowing everyone in this area was going to need it.

At this point in the business and commodity cycle, NAT GAS is down lower than it was 24 months ago. Oil is lower than it was 20 months ago and going lower. It simply cannot be that the resource souring for electricity has jumped for that time or at all.

TWT if it comes back to the .23 off peak it was just prior to this latest power issues. Caught me off guard Elon, never again.

Can confirm. Supercharger off-peak pricing has been adjusted up near where I am in the Bay Area too:

20230320_135733~2.jpg

11pm - 4am = $0.43/kWh
4am - 8am = $0.45/kWh
8am - 12pm = $0.56/kWh
12pm - 11pm = $0.48/kWh

However, in Tesla's defense, residential rates for PG&E have skyrocketed over the last year. The current rate for me is $0.406/kWh all day (non-TOU).
So Tesla adding a few cents above that to recoup their costs and generate a small profit, I think is reasonable.

Also with the prior off-peak rates, people would just charge at a supercharger off-peak since it's cheaper than home charging, even if they lived in a single family home. This is the definition of charger abuse.

Residential power outages caused by poor PG&E equipment is not fault of Tesla. There were many, many warnings sent out before the storms hit. You should've considered the probability of home power loss and considered alternatives. For example, I went to the office (where we have level 2 chargers) and full charged to each day as a buffer while I worked. Charging to 100% is enough to last me at least a week of driving until I can go to the office the next week.

Tesla never promised you any electric rates for life. They're welcome to do whatever they want with their network.
If you bought a Tesla simply to charge cheaply at a supercharger, you're foolish. Did you really think that was going to last forever?

Can confirm. Supercharger off-peak pricing has been adjusted up near where I am in the Bay Area too:

View attachment 919630

11pm - 4am = $0.43/kWh
4am - 8am = $0.45/kWh
8am - 12pm = $0.56/kWh
12pm - 11pm = $0.48/kWh

However, in Tesla's defense, residential rates for PG&E have skyrocketed over the last year. The current rate for me is $0.406/kWh all day (non-TOU).
So Tesla adding a few cents above that to recoup their costs and generate a small profit, I think is reasonable.

Also with the prior off-peak rates, people would just charge at a supercharger off-peak since it's cheaper than home charging, even if they lived in a single family home. This is the definition of charger abuse.

Residential power outages caused by poor PG&E equipment is not fault of Tesla. There were many, many warnings sent out before the storms hit. You should've considered the probability of home power loss and considered alternatives. For example, I went to the office (where we have level 2 chargers) and full charged to each day as a buffer while I worked. Charging to 100% is enough to last me at least a week of driving until I can go to the office the next week.

Tesla never promised you any electric rates for life. They're welcome to do whatever they want with their network.
If you bought a Tesla simply to charge cheaply at a supercharger, you're foolish. Did you really think that was going to last forever?
Well, I really doubt that a commercial company like Tesla is paying anywhere near the RESIDENTIAL rates for wholesale electricity purchases.

I didn’t have the issue last week when all the power was out, I had charged the car purposely (at my local city charger which WAS ZERO and is now .10$).. so when the power was out, the ~80kw Tesla was recharging laptops, hotspots, phones, iPads, battery backups, and running a 12V fridge to keep as many perishables cold and near frozen so we didn’t just have to throw everything out. that worked well and cost me nearly nothing.

It was only when I opportunitistically decided to charge up early in the morning while getting a coffee - thinking well it’s .23, not .39 at home and yes 2x my downtown LVL2 rate - but faster - which it wasn’t too much faster at only 24kw rate, and it caught me off guard. As I said, TWT if this is a blip, or the new world order.