Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Primm, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news. I was just at barstow a few times over the past couple of weeks on weekends and the most I saw was 3-4 cars. But this will definitly be helpful when the X comes.

I also found that charging 90% at barstow was fine for reaching the strip. And charging 90% at the hotel was fine to reach barstow (although just barely and driving 80-85 the whole way).

I think that I fall in the category of Charter Member of the LV Tesla Owner's group, and the Facebook group too: P1660, an old-timer dating way back to the dimly-remembered Tesla yesteryear of 20-ought-12. I've made it to a few of the lunches, but not many.

Hi Daddimac and FreqFlier...I see both you you are LV residents as well. You may want to join our local Facebook group: Las Vegas Tesla Owners. We also have get togethers once a month. Of course, one or both of you may already be members but I thought I'd extend the invite!

And on the subject of Primm: I'm 90% sure that I'll be able to drop by this weekend to see what's transpired in the last two weeks. I'll bring my camera. (I want to go to the Merrell outlet to try to find some new hikers.) Stay tuned! (For Primm S/C updates, not necessarily for breaking news about hiking shoes.)

I was just at the Primm location last night (just craving a little drive time in the tesla from las vegas) It looks about 7-10 days away depending on the speed of the install and configuration. All the underground work is done. The trenching to the utilities is done - all of the concrete build ups are done. It's essentially legos and wiring now :) I'm excited to see this one open! I HATE top off charging at Barstow and the socal trip taking sooooooo long! Thanks Tesla for listening to us all! Now just one more in Baker and we could go as fast as we WANTED to thru the canyons! Hope to see everyone soon!

AJ

I was just at the Primm location last night (just craving a little drive time in the tesla from las vegas) It looks about 7-10 days away depending on the speed of the install and configuration. All the underground work is done. The trenching to the utilities is done - all of the concrete build ups are done. It's essentially legos and wiring now :) I'm excited to see this one open! I HATE top off charging at Barstow and the socal trip taking sooooooo long! Thanks Tesla for listening to us all! Now just one more in Baker and we could go as fast as we WANTED to thru the canyons! Hope to see everyone soon!

AJ

I will be in LV for Thanksgiving. I was planning on range charging at my hotel prior to heading to Barstow. If Primm is up, then I won't have to worry at all about charging at my hotel. If I do have easy access to charging (Mandalay), then I will, and either skip Primm, or grab a 10 minute quickie to not stress the run to Barstow.

Primm: evidence of progress. Cabinets and chargers are installed (in a peculiar 3-and-oh-yeah-1-more configuration); it looks to me like a pad for the electric utility's transformer is in; about half of the concrete work is done around the pylons. The concrete was wet. I saw some concrete forms that I think might be for supporting a future solar canopy, should those ever come about.

DSCN5126.JPG
DSCN5127.JPG
DSCN5128.JPG
DSCN5130.JPG
DSCN5131.JPG
DSCN5134.JPG
DSCN5135.JPG
DSCN5136.JPG
DSCN5137.JPG

And, for those of you who have have been on tenterhooks, I bought some hiking shoes. Buy-one-get-second-for-half-price at Merrell. :biggrin:

Well, the experienced S/C installing crew can certainly finish their bit in probably under a week.

But history has shown us that there are other factors (usually involving building inspectors and especially local utility company equipment and workers) that add a gigantic unknown to the equation. Some Superchargers have become [in]famous for long delays when they look good enough to eat -- check out the discussion thread for Oxnard, possibly the most egregious example to date. There are numerous other Supercharger threads where folks make one rosy estimate after another, only to be disappointed again and again.

So it could be up and running as soon as C.r. Moorehead's estimate, and I'd love to see him proved right, but I think that's on the optimistic side. Just a hunch.

Bottom line: I'll throw in my guess and say mid-December. Fingers crossed for earlier. To my fellow Tesla owners: I'd be very cautious about planning a trip that relies on the Primm (or any other) S/C before it's actually up and running.

Once they're up, though, they seem to be highly reliable and to get speedy maintenance when required. And that's way cool.

... Here's hoping Nevada is on the bandwagon now that they won the Gigafactory. ...
~Larry

Good point! If Nevada is really on the bandwagon, then perhaps someday we'll see a more direct S/C corridor connecting Nevada's largest city and the Reno/Sparks Gigafactory site. You'd think that some Gigafactory higher-ups and those with company cars will want a S/C path southward.

It'd be amazing to be able to reach the ski areas without a nearly 200-mile detour. I'm thinking Beatty, Tonopah, and either Lee Vining (my first choice, that is if somebody asked me) or Hawthorne (second). Probably do fine on that route with just 2-bay chargers too.

I sure am generous with Tesla's money, aren't I? Seriously, though, I feel that things are on a very good track as they are, frankly far better than I ever dreamed when I got my S85 at the end of 2012, so I am by no means complaining.

I arrived yesterday morning at Primm and talked to the contractors. They claim that everything will be done in two weeks . . . take with a huge grain of salt and don't plan your trip based upon it.

They were pulling wire right when I arrived.

photo 1.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Good point -- I can do Barstow > LV with my 85, Primm would just allow me to do it faster. :)

Barstow > LV with my 60 is a breeze, but I could do it at 90mph instead of 70mph with Primm open. Not sure how many extra tickets would be the natural product of such driving. :tongue:

I arrived yesterday morning at Primm and talked to the contractors. They claim that everything will be done in two weeks . . . take with a huge grain of salt and don't plan your trip based upon it.

They were pulling wire right when I arrived.

View attachment 62972

I take that to mean they will be done in 2 weeks. Power to the site .... well we all know that is a different story altogether !! :rolleyes:

You do that run easily in your 60?! I've made the run 7 times and more often than not I have less than 10mi left and I have cruise at 65 slowing down to 55 for the big hills.

Wow. What's your configuration. The S60 is ~400lbs lighter than the 85, so despite my heavy foot, I have a lifetime Wh/m of 300 and usually average 70-75mph travelling from Barstow to Vegas.

Most likely culprit is spirited acceleration, rather than high speed. Also 21" tires will reduce range 5-10%.

Beyond that, I have my techniques which include 65mph climbs and unlimited (mostly) speeds on the downhills. I also allow my speed to vary depending on the terrain rather than strictly using cruise control.

I just stopped by on my way down south to San Diego. It's seriously done - Minus one huge green thing we like to call a transformer and a utility connection. It's seriously a shame to see this site go up so quickly and now we start the hurry up and wait process dealing with Nevada Energy. One of the best "fit and finish" jobs I've seen! It really looks good even without juice. Hopefully I am right with my prediction of mid Nov - but it is up to a higher power (pun intended) at this point. I am headed back towards vegas either mon or tues - I wont be betting on the fact it will be done. But it would make for a great surprise! See you all soon at a charger.

CR Moorehead