TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger Proposal for NC - Warsaw, NC

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by pgiralt, Jan 13, 2014.

1. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

What does everyone think about the idea of a Supercharger in Warsaw, NC? It's the only semi-populated area along the south-eastern part of I-40 and would be key for trips from the Raleigh area to the southern coast beaches. Personally, we travel to Emerald Isle all the time and while I can make it on a range charge without too much of a problem, it would be nice to be able to have a supercharger there if I wanted to be able to do a day trip to the beach or if I didn't have a place to charge while at the beach. Anyone else think this would be useful?

My proposed site is:

Quality Inn Warsaw
    2676 W Nc 24 Hwy
    Warsaw, NC 28398

2. tomp

tomp Member

I think that's a great idea, or at least somewhere in that vicinity. The inability to easily travel to the beach is unfortunate and this would be a great addition.

3. voidptr

voidptr Member

+1. They need something along that route to make Wilmington/Topsail possible.

4. muleferg

muleferg Member

I vote for that.

5. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I'm all for putting a Supercharger at every intersection and restaurant. :smile:

6. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

Something on the way to the coast would be a great addition.

+1

7. jandkw

jandkw Member

Mid-way from Raleigh to the popular Wilmington and Carolina Beaches, love it. Support 100%.

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Don't know if Tesla actually listened to my suggestion or just a coincidence, but there is now a dot in the Warsaw area on the new 2015 Supercharger map!

9. muleferg

muleferg Member

Wonderfull.:love:

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I got my junction of I-77 and I-81 heading to SW Virginia added to the map too. Very happy about that. I was surprised to see Commerce, GA along I-85 removed, but if that is a trade, I'll take it.

11. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Just thought I'd note... No surprise, but the Warsaw dot got bumped to 2016 with most of the other 2015 dots not yet under construction. Glad its still there, as this would close the last major hole going out to the NC coast from the triangle area.

12. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Recently I've preferred to drive 15/501 to Laurinburg, then cross country to Sunset Beach, avoiding Raleigh traffic. Lumberton seems only marginally out of the way. However, Warsaw would be very useful for out of state folks going that direction, or people that prefer interstate driving. Looking forward to trying it out when I get my car THIS WEEK!!

What happened to Columbia, SC?

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Wilmington and Carolina Beach used to be a regular destination for us. Seeing as Charlotteans have Lumberton along the 74 corridor, I think Warsaw makes a good case. Then you have both NC Stores/Service Centers covered for going to the beach! :)

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

77 miles from Rocky Mount, 128 miles from Burlington. Makes sense. Could be smaller than 8, maybe 4 stalls.

15. mjcostajr

mjcostajr Member

Definitely need this Warsaw Supercharger ASAP! Nearly impossible to make a quick trip from Wilmington to Raleigh and back. Does anyone make this trip? Where do you charge if you're only in Raleigh for a few hours? Do you drive out of the way to Lumberton? Help!

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Not sure where in Raleigh you are going, but check out Plugshare. There are lots of charging options in Raleigh. If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, there are even a few around including one on the NC State campus (and one in Duke as well) that is free.

17. darrenf

darrenf Member

The CHAdeMO at North Hills mall is convenient to 440, reliably operational and in my experience always available. Oh, and free.

18. attack7

attack7 Member

How about the reverse trip -- if you're going from Raleigh to New Bern and back, where are people picking up a charge? There's a destination charger in New Bern, but not sure how busy it might be.

19. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Taking a quick look at evtripplanner out of curiosity, it's 207 actual miles from Raleigh to New Bern to Rocky Mount supercharger, +/- depending on actual addresses. Not a huge detour.

20. mjcostajr

mjcostajr Member

Typically in the Southpoint or Crabtree Valley areas - shocked there aren't even destination chargers available there. For a quick turnaround CHAdeMO would be the way to go. I'll give plugshare a look for NC State Campus. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

SMH Just realized I had CHAdeMO filtered out from PlugShare. This North Hills is perfect. Thanks!