Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Warsaw, NC (closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a beautiful day out yesterday so decided to make the trip down from Raleigh to visit the new charger. Took my camera along and vlogged it

Main takeaways: Don't bother trying to walk over to the Dunkin Donuts on the other side of the highway, its just an express one & if you do, don't step in the sludge disguised as grass like I did lol....

haha....glad you made it....Going only 70 on that part of I40 will get you run over in the summer

I'd love to see one around Biscoe, NC. I come down I-74 heading to the beaches south of Wilmington from VA. Burlington is about 30 minutes out of the way and having one in that "dead" zone would open up everything between Wilmington and Myrtle.

I'm not familiar with Bald Head Island, but couldn't you just charge at your property, even a standard 120 outlet would get you a full charge over 2 days and nights. I imagine you don't do much driving while you're there.

If you're parked and plugged in to a 120v outlet you don't need a charger. It will charge very slowly, but if you're there for a few days or a week that's more that's good enough. A destination charger might be more convenient, or speed up the charging if you have another reason to spend time near it.

So I agree destination chargers would be nice to have, but I think not absolutely necessary.

Unless the 120v outlets are limited, or not available at every reserved ev parking spot.

I'd love to see one around Biscoe, NC. I come down I-74 heading to the beaches south of Wilmington from VA. Burlington is about 30 minutes out of the way and having one in that "dead" zone would open up everything between Wilmington and Myrtle.

I created a thread on this topic but BEMC (Brunswick Electric) has just installed 3 free charging units in the county. One is at Leland (Brunswick Forest) just of 17 that you would benefit from. Further down there is are free ones at Ocean Isle Beach (30A) and Calabash (I believe fast DC).

• Informative
Reactions: swengl
Should have said: "One is at Leland (Brunswick Forest) just off 17 that you would benefit from."

According to PlugShare, the Calabash location is at the Boundary House restaurant and has Greenlots chademo and CCS plugs (both free). Appears to be confirmed in a photograph. Interesting to see how often the 30A in Ocean Isle is utilized.

Last edited:
Everyone -- My wife stopped at the Warsaw NC charger on the way back to DC from Wilmington and had a horrible experience. While charging, she attempted to enter the Quality Inn to use the restroom. She was told that the restroom was out of order -- and by coincidence it was out of order 2 weeks ago when she she drove to Wilmington. She asked if this was because she was an MS onwer charging and the guy behind the front desk said "Leave and don't ever come back".

While the charger is in a convenient spot right off interstate 40, the hotel is a dump. I'm posting pictures of trash and beer cans everywhere on the grounds. I wrote to tesla and posted in the Tesla Forums. I'm also going to write a trip advisor about it. Avoid this spot if at all possible.

mav

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 230
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 210
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 215
  • image000004.jpg
    image000004.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 215
I went through there June 9th and the bathrooms near the front desk were locked. I asked and was told the bathrooms were being renovated and believed them at the time due to there being old toilets laying on the ground by the dumpster, which is right next to the supercharger. Since then I've heard of another person claiming they were told the bathrooms were out of order months later. So at this point there are three reports over a 6 month period that the bathrooms are out of order. The three explanations are:

1. The bathrooms were out of order periodically over the last 6 months
  2. It's taking more than 6 months to complete the claimed renovations
  3. They have a policy against Tesla owners using the bathrooms

According to PlugShare, the Calabash location is at the Boundary House restaurant and has Greenlots chademo and CCS plugs (both free). Appears to be confirmed in a photograph. Interesting to see how often the 30A in Ocean Isle is utilized.

I used the boundary house/st nick nacks location the other day. Works great and used my chademo adapter to take advantage of fast charging.

OIB is used less frequently.

Everyone -- My wife stopped at the Warsaw NC charger on the way back to DC from Wilmington and had a horrible experience. While charging, she attempted to enter the Quality Inn to use the restroom. She was told that the restroom was out of order -- and by coincidence it was out of order 2 weeks ago when she she drove to Wilmington. She asked if this was because she was an MS onwer charging and the guy behind the front desk said "Leave and don't ever come back".

While the charger is in a convenient spot right off interstate 40, the hotel is a dump. I'm posting pictures of trash and beer cans everywhere on the grounds. I wrote to tesla and posted in the Tesla Forums. I'm also going to write a trip advisor about it. Avoid this spot if at all possible.

mav

I'd offer that the best bathrooms require a 2 minute walk to the Mcdonalds.

I've charged there 8x and only issue I had was at 9pm one night. There was an undesirable element in the back of hotel that looked to be trading cash for pharmaceuticals. I left there fast.

I just charged here today for the first time. I used stall 1A and only maxed out at 85KW. My SoC was at 39% when I pulled in and was the only one there. I can't imagine I've gotten so many DC charges on my pack that they are already limiting me. My MS is only 7 mos old and only has 12K miles on it. Has anyone else had similar experiences at this SuperCharger? Thanks!

I've not experienced it at that one, but certainly at others. High likelihood it had nothing to do with your car, but rather the supercharger.

Yesterday I was at the Charlotte supercharger and it dropped from 115kw to 50kw in a 1 minute period. Left it there for a while but then decided to move over to another stall and it was back up to 80kw (where it should have been for the SoC it had reached). I've seen lower than expected rate probably 6 or 7 times and have supercharged probably around 100 times. Only one I ran into that was limited across all stall pairs (because I tried them all) was Virginia Beach. Starting with about 2% SoC I never saw above 60kw on any stall.

Reactions: ASUComputerGuy
I've not experienced it at that one, but certainly at others. High likelihood it had nothing to do with your car, but rather the supercharger.

Yesterday I was at the Charlotte supercharger and it dropped from 115kw to 50kw in a 1 minute period. Left it there for a while but then decided to move over to another stall and it was back up to 80kw (where it should have been for the SoC it had reached). I've seen lower than expected rate probably 6 or 7 times and have supercharged probably around 100 times. Only one I ran into that was limited across all stall pairs (because I tried them all) was Virginia Beach. Starting with about 2% SoC I never saw above 60kw on any stall.
Thanks Zarwin! I appreciate the reply and the info. I don't supercharge a lot, I mostly charge with CHAdeMO and with J1772 adapters.