Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger protocols?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've owned our 2019 M3-LR for a year and a half now and used the Tesla Supercharging network only a few times, and each time there were always plenty of open charging stalls. But as more and more Teslas are being produced, I've heard that Tesla Supercharging locations can get really crowded, and it's only going to get worse. My questions are: When you pull up to a Supercharger location with all of the stalls being used, is there a protocol for lining up to get your turn at the chargers? What if there is more than one direction from which to approach the charger stalls? Are there any signs posted to help people get in line to charge?

The few times this has happened to me, I use the "CVS Rule" where we all just figure out where the common line begins and ends, and line up in chronological order. Hand gestures (the pleasant ones, like a wave and a thumbs up) help with communicating.

I went to one with two separate approaches, and when that occurred, we all tacitly agreed to one line that moved quickly.

>>> and it's only going to get worse.
Just remember that Tesla is building a lot of new cars - but is also building a lot of new Superchargers. I think congestion is going to happen, but it's going to be temporary and local, just until Tesla can get location and permits to expand. For example, see:

Reactions: Carolina Karl
is there a protocol for lining up to get your turn at the chargers?
I was going to ask this same question today. I don't have my Tesla yet, but today at the M54 Services there were 8 SCs and all were in use and 3 other Teslas were waiting to get in, but all approached from different sides with no identifiable queue. Is this an exception or have SCs become a place of angst when busy?