Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quanah, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went by 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday evening at 7pm , and not even the SONIC was open. Seriously.

My gut feeling is that the remaining 4 stalls will get Magic Docks. This would be the only CCS compatible charger between Wichita Falls and Amarillo, and be VERY popular.
oh great :-/ so until Vernon opens (which is delayed now to Q4 '23) I might still have to stop at Henrietta SC as FTW to Childress is too far with my driving and there might be wait times at Vernon...

and yes - indeed - if Vernon has CCS it will be the ONLY place for CCS vehicles to charge between DFW and Amarillo.

Hope to be making the DFW trip up 287 towards the Texas Panhandle in a few weeks when we pick up our MYP in Dallas. Figure we will charge before leaving the DFW area and then somewhere between Vernon and Childress. Hopefully that will get us in to Amarillo where there are a couple of options.

Although this route is now covered fairly adequately, it is still surprising that there is none at Wichita falls , the biggest town between DFW and Amarillo with plenty of food options.
Years ago, before Henrietta got theirs, local news reported on Tesla looking into building one in Wichita Falls. When it finally got built, it was in Henrietta.

It has made me wonder if city leaders at the time didn't want any EV charging station in town, because there were no DC charging stations in town (except a few Level 1 chargers at two or three dealerships and a couple hotels) until there was a 50kW station installed at the GMC dealer last year. (And its $5/session fee, plus $5 flat fee, and $0.50/kWh)

(Yes, I created this account just so I could reply)

Years ago, before Henrietta got theirs, local news reported on Tesla looking into building one in Wichita Falls. When it finally got built, it was in Henrietta.
I always wondered why this was the case.

Wichita Falls seemed the most logical on the DFW / Amarillo 287 corridor.

By no means complaining about the current setup with Childress / Quanah / Henrietta but always will wonder why these were the sites versus Childress / Vernon / Wichita Falls.

Side note - I remember back in 2017/2018 driving between CO and TX. Biggest two stretches were Trinidad to Amarillo and then Childress to Denton and a real nail-biter for a new-to-Tesla driver in an S60! My how times have changed.

It has made me wonder if city leaders at the time didn't want any EV charging station in town, because there were no DC charging stations in town (except a few Level 1 chargers at two or three dealerships and a couple hotels) until there was a 50kW station installed at the GMC dealer last year. (And its $5/session fee, plus $5 flat fee, and $0.50/kWh)
Who knows. Seems like a win to drive traffic to local businesses...no pun intended.

(Yes, I created this account just so I could reply)
Welcome to TMC!

Reactions: drdumont
Welcome to TMC!
Thank you! Though, I don't have plans on owning a Tesla, I do intend on charging at the Tesla superchargers that support NACS when I buy me an EV around beginning of/middle 2025. Most likely an F-150 Lightning, or it would be awesome if Ford mad an EV Maverick.

I currently have an F-150 XLT 5.4L, gets about 14.5-15.5MPG on the highway, and 9-11MPG in the city. I am getting really tired of spending $50-70 to fill up the tank. Paying $10-ish to charge up the 98kWh battery in an F-150 Lightning is sooo much more attractive.