Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quanah, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for asking - Model S FSD 2019 ("all things considered" = wind & temps) I can slow to 65 mpg Amarillo V3 to Trinidad 2,200 ft climb. Trinidad to Amarillo East is no problem. Certainly have options. I am 70 - former pilot, and my bladder wasn't what it used to be haha. I always see what conditions are and use NAV system for projections - flight planning you know. I've gone to Childress at 65 miles/hr I think 223 easily. Retired, I don't have to drive fast.

On a review of the latest firmware, it was noted from a Youtube (the bastion of fact) reviewer that the firmware considers OAT and altitude on trip planning on the NAV app - any opinions on that?
We are never "former pilots." We may not be current but we are always pilots.

Reactions: CarlS
Quanah got added in addition to Vernon. Hopefully it holds true.

1669118425395.png

Sonic food, I like. Their bathrooms, not so much. I guess the standard bio break option will be to hike over to Love's and buy another tube of Chapstick as a token of my appreciation. I'm always happy to see another charging option on those long, lonely roads that take me to the mountains, so this is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully Sonic offers free tater tots to the Oncor crew so this gets a top spot on their priority list.
I drive this way from Dallas to/from Santa Fe every 4 weeks or so with my dogs and I agree this new location will be a welcome addition on 287. My 2017 Model X P100D has borderline range issues in the winter driving this route to the mountains when temps are low and headwinds work against us. Range issues are less now that Henrietta and Childress Superchargers are online but it was a miserably slow nail biting trip when I had to get from Dallas all the way to Childress in the winter on a single charge. I’m heading this way again next Friday so I’ll make sure Sonic knows we ordered tator tots for Oncor…. :cool:

Although this route is now covered fairly adequately, it is still surprising that there is none at Wichita falls , the biggest town between DFW and Amarillo with plenty of food options.
Isn’t Vernon apparently next?

To that end if they start with Wichita Falls they really need to work their way up I44 toward OKC and Tulsa with some density.

Reactions: CarlS
Charged there last night...4 of 8 stalls open, as others have noted. It's super easy to access being right on 287. There is indeed a customer-accessible bathroom in the Sonic.

It's so new that the car did not want to route me there even when closer to Quanah than Childress, so I had to manually select Quanah as a destination. I was on my way to Dallas, and even while actively charging at Quanah, the nav insisted that I drive backwards to Childress to charge there instead! (It figured things out once I had enough charge to make it to Henrietta.)

One note for dog owners, diagonally across Simpson St is a house with three dogs (behind a fence) that loudly barked at my dog non-stop, even when we were all the way across 287. My dog doesn't mind, but if your dog is stressed out by being barked at, you may want to park closer to Airport Rd and unload your dog on that side of your car. (This is a good idea to not stress out those three dogs further, as well!) On a positive note, Water Tower Park is just a couple blocks down and my dog had a great time there while we charged.

If they were really on top of community relations, Tesla could offer to pay for a qualified trainer to help the dogs bark less and reduce their stress levels. Or just build a wall in the Sonic parking lot. I feel bad that those dogs will have to watch random dogs get in and out of Teslas all day now, and never actually get to interact with them.

Sonic food, I like. Their bathrooms, not so much. I guess the standard bio break option will be to hike over to Love's and buy another tube of Chapstick as a token of my appreciation. I'm always happy to see another charging option on those long, lonely roads that take me to the mountains, so this is a pleasant surprise. Hopefully Sonic offers free tater tots to the Oncor crew so this gets a top spot on their priority list.
Saves the boring stop to Childress for a lot of us mountain enthusiasts in TX.

Stopped at Quanah between Amarillo and Dallas. As other have noted, only four of eight are operational. It charged at 380mph. Only a Sonic for food.
Yeah Pinoli, They haven't opened up the other four since inception - I think the there are photos of them once open with the covers, except maybe final inspection, I'm sure they will eventually open the other 4. I went to Taos Ski Valley last week - not fun or fast coming back to Southlake, TX Sunday AM in the snow and ice, but my AP MS as always was such a pleasure to ride/drive. My first and last stop on my round trip was my first experience with the Sonic host. The restrooms were a solid 8/10. I made sure to tell the Sonic people that we appreciate their hosting. I think it's the first time I have ever paid $10 for a small limeade (nice tip to the staff).

any word on when Tesla will open up all 8 stalls and not just 4 operational ?
I went by 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday evening at 7pm , and not even the SONIC was open. Seriously.

My gut feeling is that the remaining 4 stalls will get Magic Docks. This would be the only CCS compatible charger between Wichita Falls and Amarillo, and be VERY popular.