Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It should help resolve this. Quartzsite, AZ will load up at busy times due to the larger gaps nearby.

Indio, CA (V2) -> Ehrenberg, AZ 101.4 miles
Ehrenberg, AZ -> Quartzsite, AZ 17.4 miles
Quartzsite, AZ -> Buckeye, AZ 99.9 miles
Quartzsite, AZ -> Wickenburg, AZ (V2) 93.2 miles

Really, they could do with splitting those gaps, but it's hard to add a Supercharger when there's nowhere to put it.
Imma gonna show off my knowledge of the highway and my ignorance of all things electrical.

I would tend to agree that there ain't much east of Quartzsite, save perhaps Tonopah. There are some filling stations and a Pilot Truck Center there. Map says the distance between Tonopah and Buckeye is 25 miles or so.

East of Indio there is Chiriaco Summit. I would think that there could be enough power for a smaller set up--8 stalls. And east of there is Desert Center, at one time the access to Kaiser's steel mill. (It is also the back door to I40 from the Coachella Valley on SR 177 to SR 62 to US95). I am sure (again see note about my ignorance) that the mill used quite a bit of electricity back in the day. Besides the mill, the settlement of Eagle Mountain was the company town. In addition, the Colorado Aqueduct passes nearby with its pumping stations to lift water up so that it can flow downhill and into siphons on its way west. I don't know how much power is needed to lift continuously all that water close to 260 meters. But I would think that the power would be available; it might depend upon how far Edison would have to string a line.

The downside is that there is absolutely nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada at Desert Center. Chiriaco Summit has a Chevron station and a museum (at one time.)

• Informative
Reactions: Tyl and Big Earl
really? No wonder there were long waits at the station if everybody can do that. I thought they charged you idle fees if the station is full and you to stay longer than 80%
The hope is that not everyone will nor needs to. I remember the old days when I had to charge above 90% in our old 85kWh (~71kWh) pack to make it to Indio driving against a strong headwind. I found that dropping cruising speed made a huge difference; ~8% per every 5mph without a headwind. Nowadays with more charging stations, charging stalls, and longer range Teslas, it's not as important and the need to charge above 80% isn't necessary for most.

As for Carl's Jr, it would be handy to have mobile ordering with two-way feedback that would tell the orderer an estimated time of when the order would be ready given the demand for the eatery. In return, Carl's Jr could get a sense of upcoming demand based on Tesla's trip computers loading their location as a destination. Pretty much the holidays, college drop-off, and graduation season is when they'll need to staff up for the crowds that will be coming.

Reactions: tmoz
As far as I know the car will also keep charging beyond the 80% limit if your destination requires more charge. I know it did for sure as I saw it in my own car.

BTW Chiriaco Summit used to have a HPWC about 8 years ago. Back in 2014 there was no Supercharger except Quartzsite and Buckeye. The only one in LA was the Tesla design center in Hawthorne. I remember charging up to 100 % there, then stopping at Chiriaco Summit for an hour adding a measly 30 miles, and then driving extra careful to Quartzsite.

Once Indio opened the HPWC wasn't used any more and removed.

……. adding 88 more down the street! Great!!….. that will give the Quartzsite area 124

Normally I would hope for them to spread out the installations, but I guess there really isn't much point in this case.

I see they are adding a new station in Fredericksburg, VA. The one I use isn't all that crowded, even though it's convenient to Rt 95. This one is further away, in fact, further from town. Not sure why it's going in, other than possibly because it's Sheetz and the existing one is Wawa. I wonder if Sheetz pays for any of the installation or operation. I know Wawa gets some business of it.

Seemed like everyone was having issues at this site today. Stalls would start to charge and then fail a few minutes into the charge cycle. Charging handles felt pretty hot, I wonder if they overheated?
There is a good chance they were overheated. They're all in direct sunshine at 110-degrees. I bet the older V2 chargers in the restaurant parking lot would work though, since they don't utilize liquid cooling.

I charged there for about 15 minutes yesterday evening at around 5 pm without any issues. I was getting around 120 kW at 40% and then tapering down normally from there. It was 110-degrees at the time as well.

The cables on the 250 kW chargers are water cooled. The handles on all of them get hot from the connector resistance.
That's understandable, I just wish they'd de-rate rather than fully killing the charging session. Had to swap spots a few times to get enough charge to get back home. Unplugging and replugging didn't work, it'd immediately throw an error.

Reactions: tmoz
Shade! It would be great if that ’shade’ were to be that of solar panels. SHADE is critical in the desert southwest! We just can’t emphasize that enough. Design wise, the superchargers across the street by Terrible’s, Dateland AZ, Coalinga CA, and others certainly have the ‘proof of concept’ satisfied. So why not at these locations as well? If solar shade canopies were to be installed here we’d have it made in the SHADE!🥴. 🫡

Reactions: Sasmania