Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Question: Corning to Mt Shasta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip up to Washington, from SoCal.

When I look at trip planners (A Better Routeplanner), going north on the 5, we charge at Corning, and then take a detour around the mountains to Mt Shasta. The trip is 162 miles, and 3 hours.

Google has me drive straight up the 5.
108 miles, and 1 hr, 42 min.

Does anyone know why ABRP has me driving around?
Has anyone DRIVEN this area - is there any problems doing this with a Tesla that I'm unaware of?

Attachments

• MtShastaRoute.JPG
    MtShastaRoute.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 70
I drove through there last Saturday, 10/13/18. Road work on both sides trying to remove the burnt trees was the only issue, Road was open, just down to one lane in a few places. It's a pretty sad looking area, and I worry about winter rains may cause issues, Looks like Cal Trans is trying to get ahead of it though.

I was very impressed with the fire damage when we were there this week. What must it have been like to drive thru with the fires raging on both sides of the freeway? And it goes on for miles. When we had the grass fire on Hwy 580 leaving the Bay Area for the Sierras they had to close down that artery. It still had the red fire retardant on the roadway from the planes bombing the fire when I later went thru.

-Randy

When I look at trip planners (A Better Routeplanner), going north on the 5, we charge at Corning, and then take a detour around the mountains to Mt Shasta. The trip is 162 miles, and 3 hours.

Google has me drive straight up the 5.
108 miles, and 1 hr, 42 min.

Does anyone know why ABRP has me driving around?
I would take the 5. I don’t see any road closure alerts in that area on the map at QuickMap

Planning a trip from Chilliwack BC to Indio CA early December 2018. Will be staying at BW overnight and use one of the 4 superchargers at the Hotel. If full will try the new superchargers across the road. Will charge the model 3 as soon as I arrive and will Park the vehicle overnight. Weather is always a concern that time of year in this area. Given all the problems people have been having with the Model 3 this winter, I will follow many of the useful suggestions already noted by owners. But has anyone stayed in the area recently and had issues with frozen handles, stuck windows or windscreen wipers?

Planning a trip from Chilliwack BC to Indio CA early December 2018. Will be staying at BW overnight and use one of the 4 superchargers at the Hotel. If full will try the new superchargers across the road. Will charge the model 3 as soon as I arrive and will Park the vehicle overnight. Weather is always a concern that time of year in this area. Given all the problems people have been having with the Model 3 this winter, I will follow many of the useful suggestions already noted by owners. But has anyone stayed in the area recently and had issues with frozen handles, stuck windows or windscreen wipers?

If our so far very mild winter continues, you'll have no problems in Mt. Shasta City. It'll be chilly, possibly even a bit below freezing, but by no means exceptionally cold.