Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
I was at the Oxnard Supercharger today watching Tesla's go in and out and saw a new P85D pull in. The guy plugged in, got out and waited for about 12 minutes and then unplugged and left.

Was just curious how many miles did he get for only being plugged in for literally 12 minutes? :confused:

I've made supercharger stops like that before. If, for example, I start my day with a full battery (or close to it) and drive 130-150 miles to a supercharger, and if the next supercharger is also 130-150 miles away, then I might stop just long enough to stretch my legs and pick up enough range to arrive at stop #2 safely. Then stop #2 becomes longer (e.g. lunch or dinner).

It goes against the common advice on these forums to "ride the bottom of the battery" (recommended because you'll gain range more quickly when the battery is low), but it generally worked well for my family on our long trip up & down I-95 last summer.

I've had to stop for biological breaks and have told my passengers we'd have to stop at superchargers. Those breaks were 10-20 minutes and if I was going to stop didn't want the idle time to go to waste.

I've stopped for 15 minutes or less regularly. I do this as a combined road trip bathrooom/stretch break and to pick up some charge to reduce charge time at the next stop. At 360+mph, I've picked it 75 miles of charge or more easily in that time. I drive a lot for work and I find taking a 15 minute break every 90-120 minutes is a good safety habit to stay attentive while driving. Coincidentally, this is also the typical distance between SCs.

I have not had my car long enough to make any habits, but this one makes sense to me. Stopping at most superchargers along the way does make the equivalent of the bio breaks I typically use on long trips anyway, every 1 1/2 hours or so for ten-fifteen minutes to walk a bit and freshen my energy level. Good idea to use superchargers for that.

My wife does this regularly. Her commute once a week to Oakland or Vallejo is just a tad more than a full charge at home will provide. So she stops either in Fremont on the way there or Gilroy on the way back for about 15 -20 minutes. Gets her home with just a few miles left and we just charge overnight for her regular commute to San Jose. She could use Gilroy every couple of days for her normal commute for free electricity, but home charging is the best, being both convenient and cheap.
Hopefully, her business will provide a source soon so that the quick SC stop can be eliminated.

I was at the Oxnard Supercharger today watching Tesla's go in and out and saw a new P85D pull in. The guy plugged in, got out and waited for about 12 minutes and then unplugged and left.

Was just curious how many miles did he get for only being plugged in for literally 12 minutes? :confused:

Even with my slower charging 60kWh pack, I've done the same. If I was really low and just needed enough to get home, 5-10 minutes would do it :) that would net me about 50-70 miles. Hopefully, i had a bit of range to begin with, so add that to whatever I had, and I'm Jucin.