Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve picked up our M3SR+ on the 22nd of December and are supposed to have 1 year of free supercharger (was a drive to shift cars last quarter).
I had to charge up on the day I’ve picked up the car but not since (might have something to do with this pandemic) until this Friday. We needed a quick top up before driving down to the coast. We arrived at 62% and only wanted top up to about 70%. I did condition the battery (but only from around 11 miles from the superchargers). It was charging at 33kW. My Leaf can do more than that! I know it should charge faster when the battery is empty but why so slow? It should have been around 50kW according to the charge graphs I have seen.

Another confusing thing is that the car did not show this charge. It still only lists the first supercharge from the 22nd of December. I was not charged for it and it doesn’t appear under my charge history (but the charge from the 22nd doesn’t appear either). This is a lease car but the charging should appear there, doesn’t it or is that because of the one year of free supercharger?

We are going on a long trip on the 12th to Devon and while I like not having to pay for supercharger I wouldn’t want to charge at 33kW.

11 miles is nowhere near enough to get the battery to temp, you need at least 50
Well, it depends on ambient & battery temp and how stop/start the driving is (acceleration and regen will warm the battery more than a constant 70mph)

@ParHunter from Tesla you get 400kWh supercharging for each referral and they last 6 months. As you use them you should still see them in charging history online e.g.

2886A42E-BCED-4B74-BB8A-30CE315A71CD.jpeg

You may have got more as part of your lease? On some leases the supercharging doesn’t show on your account as it goes into the main account of the lease company instead. Best check with them

Last edited:
The lowest I've had is 58kW in same spec car with pre-heating and outside temp of -0.5C. That was from 56% to 78%, and 86kW to 58kW. 33kW feels a bit low even without pre-heating.
According to this video it takes about 25mins to heat up the battery on the 2021 models.

Well, it depends on ambient & battery temp and how stop/start the driving is (acceleration and regen will warm the battery more than a constant 70mph)

@ParHunter from Tesla you get 400kWh supercharging for each referral and they last 6 months. As you use them you should still see them in charging history online e.g.

2886A42E-BCED-4B74-BB8A-30CE315A71CD.jpeg

You may have got more as part of your lease? On some leases the supercharging doesn’t show on your account as it goes into the main account of the lease company instead. Best check with them
Anyone who is leasing the car, what do you see when you do a Supercharge? Is that session appearing on the website? My account is not showing any car on the Tesla Website. I think that is because of the lease. The Tesla app is however working.

thats a lot! How many kwh does it use to precondition the battery vs the increase in speed you get from it?
it depends on many factors, the biggest one is SOC, the lower you are the better. I've only ever seen 150kw on a V3 and that was arriving with less than 10%, it did precondition for a few miles but not that many. IME pre-conditioning is only really useful for very low ambient temps.

We’ve picked up our M3SR+ on the 22nd of December and are supposed to have 1 year of free supercharger (was a drive to shift cars last quarter).
I had to charge up on the day I’ve picked up the car but not since (might have something to do with this pandemic) until this Friday. We needed a quick top up before driving down to the coast. We arrived at 62% and only wanted top up to about 70%. I did condition the battery (but only from around 11 miles from the superchargers). It was charging at 33kW. My Leaf can do more than that! I know it should charge faster when the battery is empty but why so slow? It should have been around 50kW according to the charge graphs I have seen.

Another confusing thing is that the car did not show this charge. It still only lists the first supercharge from the 22nd of December. I was not charged for it and it doesn’t appear under my charge history (but the charge from the 22nd doesn’t appear either). This is a lease car but the charging should appear there, doesn’t it or is that because of the one year of free supercharger?

We are going on a long trip on the 12th to Devon and while I like not having to pay for supercharger I wouldn’t want to charge at 33kW.

Was anyone else charging next to you? Was this a V2 (two cables) or V3 supercharger (single cable)?

Off topic, but interesting: I have just watched a (long) YouTube video of a Porsche Taycan EV road trip from Naples, Fl to New York. The unbelievable hassles with charging en route just have to be seen! Disconnects, changing from one to another, slow charging etc etc.
Thank our lucky stars for Tesla's foresight in planting chargers before making the cars, and making them generally hassle-free!

Off topic, but interesting: I have just watched a (long) YouTube video of a Porsche Taycan EV road trip from Naples, Fl to New York. The unbelievable hassles with charging en route just have to be seen! Disconnects, changing from one to another, slow charging etc etc.
Thank our lucky stars for Tesla's foresight in planting chargers before making the cars, and making them generally hassle-free!
Have you seen out of spec motoring's Mustang mach e trip (well first half) jesus THAT is bad! Makes me glad that the Supercharger network is that good!

Birmingham (St. Andrews) is marked up like that. I notice there are 4 "main cabinets" at the end of the charger stalls (and there are 16 V3 chargers) so my guess is that 4 chargers are fed from each control cabinet.
I have no idea if that's the normal arrangement for V3 chargers or not.
Can other more enlightened listers comment?