Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger queues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So obviously it’s a busy time on the roads, but thought I’d share my supercharger observations. I did 240 miles up the M1 and A1 yesterday and back again today.

Woodall was maxed out (8 out of 8 stalls busy) both times I was there - around 12:30-13:30, so “peak” lunchtime. One or two cars were queuing at times, but not for long - I had to wait about five minutes.

I got the feeling that people were being decent and moving on when able to do so, not just hogging the chargers. (I certainly stopped charging “early” once I had enough to get to Newport Pagnell)

I even saw Scotch Corner full, which has been pretty empty when I’ve been there before. My Mum said she never thought she’d so many Teslas “up north” :)

Newport Pagnell was busy, but I didn’t see it full.

Of course once you get over half occupancy charge rates plummet with the current v2 superchargers, which makes the charge times longer.

Really feels like northbound M1 around Woodall would really help... I know it’s on the “coming soon” list (for years)

So obviously it’s a busy time on the roads, but thought I’d share my supercharger observations. I did 240 miles up the M1 and A1 yesterday and back again today.

Woodall was maxed out (8 out of 8 stalls busy) both times I was there - around 12:30-13:30, so “peak” lunchtime. One or two cars were queuing at times, but not for long - I had to wait about five minutes.

I got the feeling that people were being decent and moving on when able to do so, not just hogging the chargers. (I certainly stopped charging “early” once I had enough to get to Newport Pagnell)

I even saw Scotch Corner full, which has been pretty empty when I’ve been there before. My Mum said she never thought she’d so many Teslas “up north” :)

Of course once you get over half occupancy charge rates plummet with the current v2 superchargers, which makes the charge times longer.

Really feels like northbound M1 around Woodall would really help... I know it’s on the “coming soon” list (for years)
I arrived at Woodall around 1.30 pm today (black M3) to a full house. Had to wait around 5 minutes before a slot was made available by another M3. Possibly you! Max charge rate was about 55kw but I managed to get sufficient charge and abandoned after about 40 mins. Noticeable that the few M3s seemed to get away faster than the older X and S. It is getting quite busy!

Warrington's 2 stalls were maxed out Friday evening. I assume as it is only 2 stalls, it maxes our regularly. But first time I had seen cars stacked waiting to charge - one Model 3 was out on entrance road looked to be waiting too. We had thought that we were good, as 0/2 available turned into 1/2 available as we were rocking up, but I guess they were just swapping over. Didn't bother to add to the queue.

I had put contingency in, having come from Telford via Wrexham, but plan B was an unnecessary stop at Stoke so not ideal when pushing on. As Warrington SC was effectively my destination I popped out at 7:30 following morning. Warrington was overly slow even lone charging, so kept limit lower than needed to get us to Oxford, instead charging at Warwick. Wanted to get home with around 50% as slow charging and always the risk of emergency callout.

Apart from Warrington that I abandoned, we never had to share a pair. Unexpected bonus was that we got a parking space whilst rest of spaces were probably a bit of a bun fight. On return, Warwick S, two Ecotricity stalls were ICEd. Also stall next to us at Telford got ICEd whilst we were eating there, but occupants just nipped in for a comfort break so didn't cause anyone any delay.

Overall, a good experience, even if chose to pop out for a pre breakfast charge. Lesson reiterated, do not rely on Warrington supercharger even if it is convenient.

driven/used/depart %/arrive %/#charges
239/302/88%/62%/2 (Warwick 17kWh/Telford 38kWh) northbound
227/282/62%/54%/2 (Warrington 21kWh/Warwick 42kWh) local trips and southbound

Overall trip efficiency ~80% / 292Wh/mile

Thanks to member of this forum for their referral miles.

Reactions: Roy W.
Warrington's 2 stalls were maxed out Friday evening. I assume as it is only 2 stalls, it maxes our regularly. But first time I had seen cars stacked waiting to charge - one Model 3 was out on entrance road looked to be waiting too. We had thought that we were good, as 0/2 available turned into 1/2 available as we were rocking up, but I guess they were just swapping over. Didn't bother to add to the queue.

I had put contingency in, having come from Telford via Wrexham, but plan B was an unnecessary stop at Stoke so not ideal when pushing on. As Warrington SC was effectively my destination I popped out at 7:30 following morning. Warrington was overly slow even lone charging, so kept limit lower than needed to get us to Oxford, instead charging at Warwick. Wanted to get home with around 50% as slow charging and always the risk of emergency callout.

Apart from Warrington that I abandoned, we never had to share a pair. Unexpected bonus was that we got a parking space whilst rest of spaces were probably a bit of a bun fight. On return, Warwick S, two Ecotricity stalls were ICEd. Also stall next to us at Telford got ICEd whilst we were eating there, but occupants just nipped in for a comfort break so didn't cause anyone any delay.

Overall, a good experience, even if chose to pop out for a pre breakfast charge. Lesson reiterated, do not rely on Warrington supercharger even if it is convenient.

driven/used/depart %/arrive %/#charges
239/302/88%/62%/2 (Warwick 17kWh/Telford 38kWh) northbound
227/282/62%/54%/2 (Warrington 21kWh/Warwick 42kWh) local trips and southbound

Overall trip efficiency ~80% / 292Wh/mile

Thanks to member of this forum for their referral miles.

Visited Warrington and it was full and had seen Tesla’s on the road leaving as well so assume some had been queuing.

First time I’ve been there but probably will not bother with it again at peak periods unless desperate.

Been down to Hampshire today. Decided to charge early at Norton Park on the way down but both stalls were in use ( around 11 am) , with someone waiting so I decided to wait until I came home and went to Fleet. Out of the 12 stalls there , 5 were out of order but there was only a single Model S on another. This was at 7pm.

Stockport was empty today but no surprise, I guess, as it’s not all that close to the motorway. It’s only available during the Tesla store opening hours, too, until they get new security bollards in place.

I tried Ecotricity for the first time today and was pretty annoyed to discover it charged a flat rate of £12 for a charge that added around 20 miles. Nice to have a reminder that, when capacity isn’t an issue, the superchargers are pretty great.

I tried Ecotricity for the first time today and was pretty annoyed to discover it charged a flat rate of £12 for a charge that added around 20 miles. Nice to have a reminder that, when capacity isn’t an issue, the superchargers are pretty great.

That’s odd. I tried Ecotricity on the M27 Southampton services on Christmas Day and gave up after 10 minutes . I was charged 69p.

I travelled from Worcester to Northallerton via Scotch Corner. I've had to use the Scotch Corner Supercharger 3 times this weekend due to roadtrips over to Cumbria, the Yorkshire Dales and then over the moors to Whitby and others. First day, I saw what you saw, and wasn't amused.

The second two times, there were 4+ stalls available. In busy periods, and with more cars coming to the UK, we're in for a lot of this. I'm seeing more white Model 3's than I ever thought I would. I'm literally all over the 3 countries of mainland Britain all of the time, and I'm seeing it everywhere with the exception of Hopwood services in the Midlands. It's the ONLY Supercharger I use frequently that I've never seen at capacity.

With more cars coming soon, I think we're all going to be rather unhappy and a lot of new drivers will be in for some disappointment about the developing reality of more Tesla's being on the road with the infrastructure clearly not keeping pace.

Been down to Hampshire today. Decided to charge early at Norton Park on the way down but both stalls were in use ( around 11 am) , with someone waiting so I decided to wait until I came home and went to Fleet. Out of the 12 stalls there , 5 were out of order but there was only a single Model S on another. This was at 7pm.

We were heading the other way but same experience (and same time!). Stopped at Winchester on way up a little after 11 hoping to get just enough charge in that we might've got to destination and home again, plus needed a brief stop to change clothes anyway. It had been 1/2 occupied for a while but was 2/2 for last few mins, so I figured maybe the first one might be done soon. But when we arrived there were 2 charging and 2, maybe 3, waiting. Any 2 stall site is not a very appealing proposition in my view, and this one's just enough of an inconvenience off the A303 to add to that problem as well. Fleet on way back OK although heading SW it requires a detour. A303 route to the SW is otherwise a bit of a desert.

The 2 stall site issue is interesting for non-tesla rollout. It is quite likely to cause big delays and would turn me off EV ownership, yet it accounts right now for most non-tesla sites.

Anyway, I'll look to avoid Norton Park in the future I think. 2 stalls and a fairly busy part of the country aren't a great recipe.

Reactions: *Adam
With more cars coming soon, I think we're all going to be rather unhappy and a lot of new drivers will be in for some disappointment about the developing reality of more Tesla's being on the road with the infrastructure clearly not keeping pace.

Just wait till the 0% BIK rate kicks in, not just Teslas but the whole EV charging network is a shambles.

We rarely use the SC network and I feel sorry for anyone relying on them for work trips, its going to be utter chaos.

Reactions: pow216 and CMc1