Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger queues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stockport was empty today but no surprise, I guess, as it’s not all that close to the motorway. It’s only available during the Tesla store opening hours, too, until they get new security bollards in place.

I tried Ecotricity for the first time today and was pretty annoyed to discover it charged a flat rate of £12 for a charge that added around 20 miles. Nice to have a reminder that, when capacity isn’t an issue, the superchargers are pretty great.

That’s not right. I’ve been using Ecotricity for years and never been charged a flat rate. It’s probably allocated £12 against your account and will eventually charge you for what you actually took, probably less than £2 for what you used.

Reactions: adsheff
Out of interest, when the SC’s are full do people tend to queue nicely? Is there a designated waiting area etc? I assume people don’t jump in like car park sieves I’m busy car parks?
Just curious as new to this?
the SC’s at blue water shopping center don’t really hav anywhere to queue as the are diagonal along side of the single lane road so you would be blocking it so no idea how someone knows where to wait and be in ‘line’?

Out of interest, when the SC’s are full do people tend to queue nicely? Is there a designated waiting area etc? I assume people don’t jump in like car park sieves I’m busy car parks?
Just curious as new to this?
the SC’s at blue water shopping center don’t really hav anywhere to queue as the are diagonal along side of the single lane road so you would be blocking it so no idea how someone knows where to wait and be in ‘line’?
The only queue I've been in was at Woodall Southbound for about 5-10 minutes. I was 1st and someone behind me. There is nowhere good to wait there, so just had to pull up on the gravel a bit. Wasn't really an issue.

I notice a lot of people sitting at the chargers for long periods. The sat nav often advises a 30-40 minute charge time for my Cardiff - Northumberland journey. However, I've learned to ignore this as I find it much more realistic to stop twice for 10-15 minutes. Also, the more you use it (especially on the same routes), the more you'll start to get a feel for just how little supercharging you need to get you to the next stop - I think if more people did this then the superchargers would be less busy often.

the more you'll start to get a feel for just how little supercharging you need to get you to the next stop - I think if more people did this then the superchargers would be less busy often.

I think we're still a stage where people are reluctant to take a lower charge at one SC in case the next is crowded or offline. Once there are more chargers and people are more trusting of the wider charging infrastructure then I think people* might be content to not charge right up at each stop.

*I'm including myself here - From Newcastle to Harrogate I stopped at Scotch Corner to top back up to 80% on the way there, and on my way back (for a coffee).

• Informative
Reactions: poolmeds
the more you use it (especially on the same routes), the more you'll start to get a feel for just how little supercharging you need to get you to the next stop - I think if more people did this then the superchargers would be less busy often.
This is true and objectively the most rational thing to do. I worry however that as pressure builds it will become like the fast lane on the motorway, where people stay in the lane even when the slower lanes are clear because pressure of traffic means that is is hard to get back into the lane again.

Reactions: Adopado
This is true and objectively the most rational thing to do. I worry however that as pressure builds it will become like the fast lane on the motorway, where people stay in the lane even when the slower lanes are clear because pressure of traffic means that is is hard to get back into the lane again.
I agree. I think it will get worse not better. I think volume of cars is probably outstripping new supercharger capacity.

Reactions: CMc1
We should also factor in the very limited free supercharging that is available to new purchasers these days.

That will encourage early use to get the benefit before it expires, but after that home charging is always going to be cheaper so you should just see people who need it rather than those new drivers using up their allowance.

So the volume of sales shouldn't have a proportionate impact on the queues in the long run, but yes of course, over time there will be more drivers needing it for long distances, but hopefully not so many as to completely fill the bays too often...

Reactions: Cogarch
In fact ... hate to say it, but maybe there shouldn't be any free Supercharging. It's probably not a massive additional pressure on capacity but it must be having some effect.

It's hard to assess what impact it has, I have free SC on my Model S for as long as I own the car.

It does mean that I will use a SC when it is convenient for me to do so regardless of 'need'.

... but... I'll never join a queue to do so, and I'll never remain on charge if all the bays are full and someone is waiting.

Essentially I have to pull over somewhere to have lunch so I'll do it at a SC instead of in the parking area.

And of course, lots of supercharging has historically affected battery charge performance as car has aged as some Model S owners are finding to their cost. Unfortunately, that may also be contributing to issues when high demand due to curtailed charge rates making some Model S' very slow to charge. Hopefully, the circumstances leading up to that action by Tesla have been learned from and its not going to be an ever increasing problem, especially with the charge rate race that is beginning to emerge.

Reactions: Cogarch
And of course, lots of supercharging has historically affected battery charge performance as car has aged as some Model S owners are finding to their cost.

No problems yet, but to be honest it is not something that concerns me greatly.

I am almost half-way through my 4 year PCP and on terms that make zero sense for me to keep the car, so it will go back.at or a little before the end of that period.

slightly off topic but.... are you minded to replace it with another?

Very tough question.

I love the S, but I shouldn't have to spend as much as I did this time on the next one whatever it is.

Model Y may do it for me, but will also consider whatever else is around at the time.

Meanwhile I'll continue to enjoy one of the best cars I've ever owned for the next couple of years...

Reactions: Jez_GB