Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Raleigh NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still probably a bit down the road, but there is a supercharger projected for Raleigh on the 2016 map. Just looking at the map it's hard to make out where it will be. Accuracy is sometimes quite a bit off with the projected sites, but I made an overlay to show where it currently falls, which is pretty much right in the center of Raleigh. I doubt it will be in the center, but who knows. My first guess would be the Crossroads area. Just thought I'd go ahead and start the thread so we can track it.

2016-03-09_17-18-53.jpg

I've been wondering where this one would end up. As far as I can tell Wake County, City of Raleigh, and Town of Cary don't have online permit search capabilities unless you know the permit number, so hard to find out that way.

Crossroads area is certainly a possibility and getting in and out is not too bad if you're coming from 40 or heading back towards 40 because you can bypass Walnut St, but parking in Crossroads is pretty crowded so I wonder where they'd put it. Also not a huge amount of food. There's more stuff over by the Carolina Ale House, but that's a pain to get to because it involves Walnut.

Another possibility is Cary Towne Center. Easy access from 40 and plenty of parking, but again not much food besides the food court.

Since Tesla seems to like putting SC locations near outlet malls, I thought maybe they'd put it in the outlet mall on Airport Blvd, but that place is a ghost town.

I think a better choice would actually be Southpoint, but that's technically Durham and might be too close to Burlington.

I'm actually not sure which path they are trying to augment by putting a SC in the Raleigh because it seems like you can get between any of the locations around us pretty easily without having to stop here. I guess only time will tell. :)

City of Raleigh permit search lets you put in just street name and it will pull back all permits on that street so at least suspected areas could be checked.

devservices: View Permits

edit... Now I'm screwing around with all the online tools for wake county, which are both interesting and infuriating, and stumbled on the original corporate certificate to do business here, signed by Musk. Nothing special, just thought it was interesting.

http://services.wakegov.com/booksweb/PDFView.aspx?DocID=108984589&RecordDate=12/27/2012

Last edited:
Sheetz did reply multiple times in the thread on reddit from their official account, never once contradicting the claim, thought they never confirmed it either. I'd guess this would be new construction and the "by the end of september" might have been mis-heard as when construction would start? Don't know, the timeline seems impossible for an entire new construction site.

Just wishful thinking, but the White Oak Shopping Center at Exit 306 in Garner is easy on/off with the new exit ramps finished. There's already a Sheetz there with plenty of space in their parking lot, plus an entire undeveloped corner as well as a massively underutilized parking lot in front of the new Cabellas. Seems that would be a great spot for a future Supercharging station that's about 7 minutes from the heart of downtown Raleigh.

Raleigh, NC

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi*): US-1, US-401
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-440, I-540

Neighbors:
South Hill, VA (US-1,US-1BYP,I-85,US-1): 71.8 miles
Rocky Mount, NC (u,I-440,US-64,I-495,US-64): 53.4 miles
Warsaw, NC** (u,I-440,I-40,NC-24),: 73.0 miles
Wilmington, NC*** (u,I-440,I-40,US-117,u): 133 miles
Lumberton, NC (u,I-440,I-40,I-95,US-301): 96.0 miles
Burlington, NC (US-1,I-540,I-40,u): 66.4 miles
Lexington, VA (US-1,I-540,I-40,u,NC-86,US-158,US-29,US-60,I-81,I-64,US-11): 205 miles

* US-70 is also not far away
** Yeah, it's closed, but clearly they'll looked for another location
*** Because Warsaw, NC is closed

Uh, well, it's a location. I guess it's on US-1 on the way to South Hill, VA. Doesn't seem to do much for long-distance travel.

I agree it's not a location for enabling long distance travel. Maybe it's meant to be an urban charger, and a trial for the Sheetz partnership.

But, as an urban charger, I think a better location would be more central to the greater triangle, somewhere in RTP, in the general vicinity of the airport.

That would also put it close to I-40 and I-540, and might also support some long distance travel

Raleigh, NC

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi*): US-1, US-401
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-440, I-540

Neighbors:
South Hill, VA (US-1,US-1BYP,I-85,US-1): 71.8 miles
Rocky Mount, NC (u,I-440,US-64,I-495,US-64): 53.4 miles
Warsaw, NC** (u,I-440,I-40,NC-24),: 73.0 miles
Wilmington, NC*** (u,I-440,I-40,US-117,u): 133 miles
Lumberton, NC (u,I-440,I-40,I-95,US-301): 96.0 miles
Burlington, NC (US-1,I-540,I-40,u): 66.4 miles
Lexington, VA (US-1,I-540,I-40,u,NC-86,US-158,US-29,US-60,I-81,I-64,US-11): 205 miles

* US-70 is also not far away
** Yeah, it's closed, but clearly they'll looked for another location
*** Because Warsaw, NC is closed

Uh, well, it's a location. I guess it's on US-1 on the way to South Hill, VA. Doesn't seem to do much for long-distance travel.

I know this thread is about Raleigh, but I did want to point out the Warsaw station is not closed. I'm confused as to why everyone keeps saying it is. It is odd that it doesn't show up on Tesla's list however, but I have used this station 3 times in the last two weeks traveling from Raleigh to Wilmington.

I don't think they are making many of them public until the new Model 3 has rollled out entirely so they could announce at once they just brought online dozens in the same press release. All speculation on my part, but this one is up and running great.