Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - raleigh please put more!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I had the pleasure of checking out the one Raleigh supercharger a few weeks ago, while visiting a relative who lives nearby. I was lucky to get a spot that opened up right as I pulled up, but power sharing made it so slow that I left after a couple of minutes and went on to Cary. (Was heading out of town that way anyway.)

Charlotte may look like it's better, but not really. The northeast and southern locations are at busy residential area shopping centers like Raleigh's. The third is in a similar parking lot, but at least it is a lot closer to a through-interstate. I see why the first supercharger in a city is sited like that, to help ease range anxiety for new buyers when Tesla was first starting out.

Where would you Raleigh folks like to see new superchargers?

(I lived in the area decades ago. I could guess myself, but curious what current residents will say.)

Raleigh definitely needs another one. Charlotte is getting a new one soon per the Tesla map as well as Gastonia. There is also one under construction just south of Charlotte on I-77. I wonder if Tesla just hasn't been able to find a good location in Raleigh. Also to be fair Charlotte and Asheville are cities people travel THROUGH a lot, warranting a lot of superchargers. Raleigh people travel TO, not through.

Reactions: SigNC and jsight
Why are there so few superchargers around Raleigh (ok Durham, chapel Hill and Cary) have them. Just look at the map- not dissing on Asheville or around Greensboro…however Raleigh has the one North Hills SC at 150 Kw….and becoming more packed and slower…..please Tesla put more in Raleigh!

Are you unable to charge at home? That definitely makes life with an EV more difficult. I'm amazed at how many Supercharger sites are already in North Carolina, honestly.

The one down in Garner is an 8 stall 250kW location. I'd say that's profoundly better than a 12 stall 150kW location.

It would be nice to see a 12 stall 250kW installation at the 40/440 interchange. Probably in that Crossroads Plaza area.

Where would you Raleigh folks like to see new superchargers?
Raleigh (actually now Durham) resident here. As a resident, I don't really care about local Superchargers as I would never use them. Okay, I did plug into Cary once right after it opened, and Durham to show someone I was giving a ride to how Supercharging worked, but really no reason to use local Superchargers.

That said, if I didn't have home charging, I would want Superchargers at a location I had a reason to visit for 30-45 minutes each week. I.e. a grocery store. So that said, the Cary location is awesome. North Hills (Raleigh) is not too bad, although I don't really consider Target to be a true grocery store. Of course neither of those is close to where I live anyway.

Of the Triangle area Superchargers for travelers, Cary and Raleigh are not useful at all. Durham and Garner serve I-40 traffic pretty well. Those approaching the area from the north could be served reasonably well by Henderson, but maybe Wake Forest would be a decent option closer to the area? And from the south, US-1 & NC-55 in Apex would be a compelling location.

Did anybody notice that Cary has yet another Coming Soon Supercharger on the FindUs map?

1673358177987.png

1673358217285.png

Any guesses as to location? It seems like they have the I-40 corridor pretty well covered for travelers, so I would expect this one to either be for servicing locals, or maybe the US-1 corridor? Crossroads or Tryon Rd?

Reactions: SigNC
Did anybody notice that Cary has yet another Coming Soon Supercharger on the FindUs map?

View attachment 894167
View attachment 894168

Any guesses as to location? It seems like they have the I-40 corridor pretty well covered for travelers, so I would expect this one to either be for servicing locals, or maybe the US-1 corridor? Crossroads or Tryon Rd?
Looked in wake county and city of Cary and came up empty but maybe I missed it.