Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rancho Cucamonga, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ICE'ing at Rancho Cucamonga... And Ticketed

Saturday night, the pictures say it all, but its great to see security is right on it here!! I do think the signs should say TESLA ONLY.

IMG_7689.JPG
IMG_7687.JPG
IMG_7684.JPG

Saturday night, the pictures say it all, but its great to see security is right on it here!! I do think the signs should say TESLA ONLY.
I wouldn't call that ticketing, but I am thankful that security recognizes our need for access. At some point, official signs may have to be posted, with the required language to allow towing. If you jump to the Culver City thread, you will see all 12 spots were ICE'd all weekend. This should all calm down after the holiday. In the meantime, none of us should plan travel that requires use of a SC in a mall during the holiday.

Don't get your hopes for ticketing or towing. These are customers of the mall, and the mall management isn't going to want to do anything to lose their business. Yes, Tesla owners are potential business, too, but a current customer is worth more than a potential customer.

I'd guess they said the same thing when handicap parking spots were first introduced.

Completely different. Handicap spots are not up to the mall owners. They are required by law to have handicap spots, and the police can enforce this whether the mall likes it or not. With charging spaces, the owner can choose to put up signage that would allow them to tow violators, and then they can choose to have violators towed. It's completely up to the mall and nobody else.

Last edited:
I was there just today. I did see one ICE pull in as I left. The sign does say '30 min general parking', so he was perfectly within his right to park there for up to 30 min. There were many open spots, though.
Remember at superchargers like this with both general parking and reserved spaces, Tesla drivers are perfectly within their right too to park in the "30 min. general parking" spots even when a reserved spot is open. This keeps the spaces from being ICE'd if people do follow the signs and only see reserved spots left.

Don't get your hopes for ticketing or towing. These are customers of the mall, and the mall management isn't going to want to do anything to lose their business. Yes, Tesla owners are potential business, too, but a current customer is worth more than a potential customer.

Actually, while I was charging over the holliday weekend, there were 2 ICE's in Tesla only spots. Both were issued "citation warnings" by mall security. I asked what would happen to repeat offenders and the reply was that they would get "real" tickets from the city, and would have to go to court to fight them. I was really impressed - over the span of 15-20 min, there were 2 different security guards that stopped to write up the offenders, as well as a Rancho cop squad car. So I don't think it is all just posturing by mall management.

Actually, while I was charging over the holliday weekend, there were 2 ICE's in Tesla only spots. Both were issued "citation warnings" by mall security. I asked what would happen to repeat offenders and the reply was that they would get "real" tickets from the city, and would have to go to court to fight them. I was really impressed - over the span of 15-20 min, there were 2 different security guards that stopped to write up the offenders, as well as a Rancho cop squad car. So I don't think it is all just posturing by mall management.
Well, the real tickets could be given, but legally cannot hold up. Parking tickets cannot be given on private property unless there is a specific ordinance, along with proper signage. I do not know of the former in RC (though I doubt it), but the latter is definitely not in place at any Tesla SC to date.

The only exception I know of, where ticketing is allowed on private property, is for handicapped spaces. I wonder how that law works, and if a similar law could be passed for EV's? I highly doubt it, as the EV lobbying efforts cannot come even close.

The only exception I know of, where ticketing is allowed on private property, is for handicapped spaces. I wonder how that law works, and if a similar law could be passed for EV's? I highly doubt it, as the EV lobbying efforts cannot come even close.

If these could be ticketed like handicap spots, I think Tesla would have a much harder time negotiating leases for their superchargers. It depends on how the law is written, of course. But in the case of handicap parking, the law is actually a restriction on property rights. I don't think any legislature is going to decide that EVs merit similar restrictions. And if the law is written to leave it up to the property owner, I don't think many will enforce it.

Well, the real tickets could be given, but legally cannot hold up. Parking tickets cannot be given on private property unless there is a specific ordinance, along with proper signage. I do not know of the former in RC (though I doubt it), but the latter is definitely not in place at any Tesla SC to date.

I understand about questioning whether an ordinance is in place, but how can you question a sign that clearly states "Tesla Parking Only" as proper signage? It seems pretty clear to me.

- - - Updated - - -

If these could be ticketed like handicap spots, I think Tesla would have a much harder time negotiating leases for their superchargers. It depends on how the law is written, of course. But in the case of handicap parking, the law is actually a restriction on property rights. I don't think any legislature is going to decide that EVs merit similar restrictions. And if the law is written to leave it up to the property owner, I don't think many will enforce it.

Granted, but Victoria Gardens clearly is enforcing it. I don't see how this would affect the negotiations of leases if the property owners are the ones choosing how they want to treat the parking situation. To anybody who has travelled in their Model S, it's pretty clear that the property owners all have different views on how they want to handle it and the wide variety of signage for the spots reflects that.