Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rancho Mirage CA (LIVE 18 Sep 2019, with SOLAR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F52A3F06-8C1C-4F76-B927-ED7880433F51.jpeg
Spoke to workmen this morning, they are indeed working on Supercharger area and there is a separate electrical area fenced off by the buildings. Digging trenches in parking lot has begun.
I noticed that yesterday but wasn’t sure. I wonder if they will be adding solar canopies. It would be nice but would probably attract ICE-ers.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
View attachment 418051
I noticed that yesterday but wasn’t sure. I wonder if they will be adding solar canopies. It would be nice but would probably attract ICE-ers.

Would a canopy have a noticeable impact on the charging rate? The car has to manage the temperature of the battery when Supercharging... without the canopy, would the battery maybe get hotter quicker from the sunlight?

Would a canopy have a noticeable impact on the charging rate? The car has to manage the temperature of the battery when Supercharging... without the canopy, would the battery maybe get hotter quicker from the sunlight?
Temperature is definitely a factor in charging speeds- There were forum members who tried out the new V3 charger at Fremont,CA and those who tried during the day (it was ~100F) got 200kW peak power while a member who went at 3am (~75F) reached 239kW.

I think for V2 chargers that go up to 150kW I don't think there will be much throttling because of the extra heat from the sun. Might be worse on S/X because the cooling architecture on those aren't as good as the 3 but I think you'll still get respectable speeds.

As a side note- I'm starting to get annoyed at the glass roof on my Model 3. It gets pretty hot and I can feel it on my forehead while driving. It was one of the reasons I was eyeing the SR model when they first announced the car since I wanted a normal roof that I assumed would have some heat insulation. (Not arguing that the glass roof's "cooler" and nicer but California summers are getting extreme) It would be great if Tesla adds solar canopies to all their chargers with high solar irradiance, they have the entire system made in-house- would be a great PR move.

Temperature is definitely a factor in charging speeds- There were forum members who tried out the new V3 charger at Fremont,CA and those who tried during the day (it was ~100F) got 200kW peak power while a member who went at 3am (~75F) reached 239kW.

I think for V2 chargers that go up to 150kW I don't think there will be much throttling because of the extra heat from the sun. Might be worse on S/X because the cooling architecture on those aren't as good as the 3 but I think you'll still get respectable speeds.

As a side note- I'm starting to get annoyed at the glass roof on my Model 3. It gets pretty hot and I can feel it on my forehead while driving. It was one of the reasons I was eyeing the SR model when they first announced the car since I wanted a normal roof that I assumed would have some heat insulation. (Not arguing that the glass roof's "cooler" and nicer but California summers are getting extreme) It would be great if Tesla adds solar canopies to all their chargers with high solar irradiance, they have the entire system made in-house- would be a great PR move.
The parking lot where these superchargers are being installed does have some solar canopies, as do a number of other parking lots in the desert. We get about 330 or days of sunlight so they are very effective.

As an aside, I’m wondering if there will be some non-Tesla chargers installed here.

Reactions: peakshaving

We have had our M3 in Palm Springs and the glass roof really heats up the interior even though we had dark tint applied. The black seats don’t help either.

We have had our M3 in Palm Springs and the glass roof really heats up the interior even though we had dark tint applied. The black seats don’t help either.
M3 in Palm Springs here, too. I had the roof tinted at Ceramic Pros in Palm Desert and I feel zero heat coming through. Getting windshield done next week. I also got the window shades of Tesla website but I don’t even need them with the tinting.

Moderator note: you are welcome to discuss the issue of the Model 3 glass roof letting in heat — or not — in the Model 3 forum . Thank you.

M3 in Palm Springs here, too. I had the roof tinted at Ceramic Pros in Palm Desert and I feel zero heat coming through. Getting windshield done next week. I also got the window shades of Tesla website but I don’t even need them with the tinting.

My guess (operative word) is that because this location is so far off the interstate, these will be of the urban charger variety.

I think that it would be highly unusual for travelers to detour so far off Interstate 10 when Cabazon and Indio are less than one mile off the freeway.

These will be for snow birds, locals, and visitors.

My guess (operative word) is that because this location is so far off the interstate, these will be of the urban charger variety.

I think that it would be highly unusual for travelers to detour so far off Interstate 10 when Cabazon and Indio are less than one mile off the freeway.

These will be for snow birds, locals, and visitors.
This Supercharger is only 5 miles from I-10 and both Indio and Cabazon can be fully used especially on weekends. Might be worth the slight detour.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
This Supercharger is only 5 miles from I-10 and both Indio and Cabazon can be fully used especially on weekends. Might be worth the slight detour.

No disagreement on the distance from Interstate 10. From my recollection on my annual trips, it takes on average 10 minutes each way on Bob Hope Drive. These urban chargers deliver a maximum of 72kW versus the SC along the interstate delivering "up to" 150kW for Model 3 and 120kW for others.

Certainly there may be one-off situations during the holidays where there are long queues for both locations and a 20-minute detour plus slower charging times will work. But I believe that these times will be infrequent and exceptional.

I guess time will tell! :)

No disagreement on the distance from Interstate 10. From my recollection on my annual trips, it takes on average 10 minutes each way on Bob Hope Drive. These urban chargers deliver a maximum of 72kW versus the SC along the interstate delivering "up to" 150kW for Model 3 and 120kW for others.

Certainly there may be one-off situations during the holidays where there are long queues for both locations and a 20-minute detour plus slower charging times will work. But I believe that these times will be infrequent and exceptional.

I guess time will tell! :)

I live in Rancho and my guess is a lot is use will be locals who live in condos and apartments where home charging is not an option. Many of the local hotels have free destination charging to I don’t see much impact on this SC from their guests, especially for those who don’t have free supercharging. The newly opened SC facility in Palm Springs will probably take some pressure off Rancho Mirage.

But you’re right: time will tell.