TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Red Deer, AB

Discussion in 'Canada Supercharger locations' started by MarcoRP, Oct 11, 2019.

1. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Mr. PlugShare

#1 MarcoRP, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Tip from Lonnie (@Lon12). The new Red Deer Supercharger is under construction. The Supercharger will be located across the street from the Shell Gas station and McDonalds. Will add on Supercharge Info. Photo from Western Canada Superchargers

The 2nd new Supercharger find in Alberta today!

We could also use this thread to discuss the other Red Deer location as well. Thoughts?
    D4A5A866-7EDB-4FD6-A3B6-9862254309C4.jpeg

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. bpjod

bpjod Member

Awesome! Much more convenient location, especially when Southbound. Presumably v3 as well.

3. Lon12

Lon12 Member

DE45E991-8AA3-4C4A-A49A-F869EAB7AB92.jpeg 93CFC861-D886-4D08-B4E4-411FBD448480.jpeg

• Like x 2
  4. brandude87

brandude87 Member

"Gasoline Alley" haha!

• Funny x 5
  5. GlenM

GlenM Member

In 10 years it'll be renamed to the Eddie Grant - Electric Avenue. :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

And it'll be the first location in Canada to get an upgrade to Supercharger v4. ;)

• Like x 1
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Red Deer - Gasoline Alley, AB

Along National Highways: AB-2
    Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): AB-2A(Central)

AB-2:

To: Red Deer, AB - 6.9 km
    Diversion: 3.2 km/0.1km*
    To: Edmonton, AB - 154.1 km

A newer site in Red Deer, AB with more stalls, as well as being Supercharger v3.

* I put a custom spot for the distances so that Supercharge.info/Mapbox wouldn't treat it as being on the highway.
    Due to being on the southbound exit, the northbound and southbound diversions are different. I measure the distances northbound, following convention.

8. dasRad

dasRad Member

The critical question is: “How far is this from The Donut Mill?”
    Walking distance?

• Like x 1
  9. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

Personally, I hate this location. Traffic into and out of Gasoline Alley is so much heavier than the current 32 St exit. Yes, more food options will be nice, but otherwise I don't see this as an improvement. It looks like there may be back road access so you don't have to follow the herd, I guess time will tell if this winds up being a better spot or not. Makes me want to upgrade to a Raven so I can just bypass Red Deer altogether, we usually skip it when driving down from Edmonton but we typically stop there on our way back north.

10. Xelloss99

Xelloss99 Member

Depends on what you define as "walking distance".
    Red_Deer_Supercharger.png

11. dasRad

dasRad Member

So, 15 minute walk to the Donut Mill and a 20 minute waddle back. Excellent. Best arrive empty! ;)

• Funny x 1
  12. Lon12

Lon12 Member

F1C84ADC-5ADF-4C25-A156-F6C3ED8DD925.jpeg Looks like 8 stalls.

• Informative x 3
  13. DiscordianDave

Pad layout indicates this is a V3 Supercharger

• Like x 2
  14. DrinkMonkey

DrinkMonkey Member

Gotta say, V3 can't come soon enough. The current Red Deer SC never seems all that "super" to me. Have been there completely alone, reasonably low SoC, and have never had it deliver more than 50-60kW. With Thanksgiving traffic today there was a bit of a lineup, and got only 32kW (totally expected as was 2nd into a pair). Thank goodness the battery was preconditioning for like, 45m beforehand! /s

15. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

Odd, I was the last man in today (fourth of four cars charging), arrived with 39% remaining and was getting 93kW when I connected. I assume my charging partner was into the taper by that time. Of note, a fifth car arrived a minute or so after me, and there was another one waiting by the time we got done, and we passed two more heading toward the charger as we were heading back to the highway. The extra stalls will be most welcome, I counted 20 Teslas on the highway today between Calgary and Edmonton. Wasn't that long ago that seeing even one other one was a big deal.

• Like x 2
  16. Lon12

Lon12 Member

I was getting 48 kW at the Shell today. No line up there.
    Talked a bit with the crew finishing up the new SuperCharger. Looks like they were ready to put down some grass already.
    IMG_2942.jpg

• Like x 1
  17. DrinkMonkey

DrinkMonkey Member

Nice! As I said, have been there totally alone, and still never get anything above 60kW in a M3 LR RWD, and today, with max preconditioning (honestly, I think it started leaving Leduc!) it was at maybe 30-35kW? Have only Supercharged 4 times, so can’t imagine it’s a degradation issue...

18. BR0CK

BR0CK New Member

Interesting development off the Trans Canada. Will they do the Hwy63 corridor to FortMac eventually I wonder?

19. NoBeard

NoBeard Member

Have you called Tesla service? You should. They can look at the logs from your car while you're on the phone and advise. I think there's something wrong with your charging circuit.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

I shouldn't read anything into it like that.

The current Red Deer, AB site was opened 1/22/2015. Tesla agrees 5 year leases, it'll be due to expire next year. So they may intend to close the existing site.

Also, with increased sales from Model 3, and maybe some increased traffic from the opening of the TCH, they may have seen Red Deer as needing expansion, and now are able to get what they consider more suitable sites. Tesla has learned that hotels are problem locations and rarely uses them.

• Informative x 1