Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Red Deer, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Equipment delivered

IMG_0592.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg

Definitely busy at times, I've seen it full a year ago, now with the 3 invasion (which is a good thing) those 4 stalls will have issues. I'll probably still use them, since I have a 3 year old 75D model S, and can't really get much more juice. After the update a while ago, I went from 93k max to 111Kw. So this will be good for me, there should always be a spot open.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I assume the logic is that the old one gets full too often during peak travel? Why else put another one right where there's a perfectly good one?

The more EV's on the road, the more need that chargers need to be as common as gas stations.

OTOH, see the comments about Albert Lea south of Minneapolis - where the complaint was the old SC was unreliable.

A few times I've been there (old Red Deer SC) the SC has been full. Also, it requires a detour into town. The new one is being built on Gasoline Alley which is a strip along the freeway that is full of restaurants and gas stations catering to traffic on Hwy 2. It's a more suitable location for Edmonton-Calgary traffic. I do hope (and expect) they'll keep the old one open too.

A few times I've been there (old Red Deer SC) the SC has been full. Also, it requires a detour into town. The new one is being built on Gasoline Alley which is a strip along the freeway that is full of restaurants and gas stations catering to traffic on Hwy 2. It's a more suitable location for Edmonton-Calgary traffic. I do hope (and expect) they'll keep the old one open too.
The detour for the old location is fairly modest. My recollection of the road configuration on Gasoline Alley is that the Northbound traffic will have to detour near about the same amount for the new SC. Still, food-wise the new location is going to be better and it is a pretty sweet setup for Southbound QE2 traffic.

If they keep both sites open, I expect the new site will attract all the fancy fast-charging 3s and Ravens; the only advantage for my car with a v3 charger is no stall pairing (which is an advantage, to be sure). I guess my charging decision will be based more on which one has the most vehicles charging rather than location, I try to avoid Gasoline Alley whenever possible.