Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA (LIVE 11 Oct 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like we can narrow the location to the Sundial Bridge parking lot near the Chargepoint charging station. Not the best location but there are public restrooms (not very clean ones) across the street and they will eventually open the newly remodeled Cafe near the Sundial Bridge hopefully in September or October. Rumor has it there are two more superchargers in the works and one of them will be in line with the Kettleman and Firebaugh superchargers with the potential for 50+ stalls. Most likely off I-5. With the new construction of Costco on Bechelli and South Bonnyview I'll keep an eye on anything that could point to a Supercharger.
I know nothing about the approval process for Superchargers, but I suspect that Redding wanted them located near the Sundial Bridge because it is a major tourist attraction for Redding.

I know nothing about the approval process for Superchargers, but I suspect that Redding wanted them located near the Sundial Bridge because it is a major tourist attraction for Redding.
It is also at the junction of Interstate 5 and SR44 that heads east to Lassen and Susanville. Real handy for those heading to and from Eureka on 299 or for those who wish to head NE to Alturas and Modoc County.

While I know nothing as well about Supercharger approval, Tesla does try to find locations where there is no or minimal rent. There have been suggestions that lately many retail establishments want Superchargers because of increased traffic and sales, so Tesla is not charged rent for the spaces and infrastructure. Municipal situations are different, however, since there won't be any increased revenue to businesses.

It is also at the junction of Interstate 5 and SR44 that heads east to Lassen and Susanville. Real handy for those heading to and from Eureka on 299 or for those who wish to head NE to Alturas and Modoc County.

While I know nothing as well about Supercharger approval, Tesla does try to find locations where there is no or minimal rent. There have been suggestions that lately many retail establishments want Superchargers because of increased traffic and sales, so Tesla is not charged rent for the spaces and infrastructure. Municipal situations are different, however, since there won't be any increased revenue to businesses.
This is a bad location if it is true. There is a high transient rate In the area along with numerous illegal activities in the parking lot. There are no services in the area for bathrooms etc unless you walk to the hotel. As well 8 stalls won’t cut it for this area.

Reactions: bb95570
FWIW I drove around this area looking for signs of construction at the end of July and didn't see anything. Of course things could have changed since then.

This will be a nice stop for a walk or a picnic, but the amenities are fairly lacking. I don't even recall seeing a public restroom, but I could be wrong on that. Hopefully there is one somewhere because the Sheraton is going to get tired of Tesla owners wanting to use the bathroom real quick otherwise. Other than the Sheraton, the only nearby business is Turtle Bay Exploration Park. Looking at Google Maps, it looks like the Sheraton has a restaurant, but that will probably be too slow and/or too expensive for most people doing a quick charging stop.

Reactions: Trekboy
Not an optimal road trip stop, Cottonwood or Red Bluff is still better for that. There is a little cafe and public bathrooms by the sundial though on as well as the Sheraton where you could have a quick starter while waiting. It’ll be useful for local apartment dwellers though.

Maybe this time it'll actually happen. That gap is one of only 2 remaining on I-5 over 75 miles, and the other one has 2 blue dots.
This one would still leave a gap of over 60 miles and it would be difficult to get below 50 in that stretch. Dunsmuir is 52 miles. Castella, CA would be the only hope.

Reactions: Big Earl
Maybe this time it'll actually happen. That gap is one of only 2 remaining on I-5 over 75 miles, and the other one has 2 blue dots.
This one would still leave a gap of over 60 miles and it would be difficult to get below 50 in that stretch. Dunsmuir is 52 miles. Castella, CA would be the only hope.
There is nothing but some cabins and Sac River access for fishing at Castella. Doubt that there is enough oomph from the grid to support even a 4-stall SC. Castella is in a very narrow canyon of the river.

Lakehead makes more sense on the north side of Shasta Lake. They have businesses and a many more residences.

Dunsmuir would be sensible however.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Yeah I've driven that stretch a hundred times and never heard of Castella so that isn't it.

Lakehead already has CCS and Chademo so that would be the spot if there will eventually be another splitter(!).

With 61 miles and a 4,000 ft. elevation gain between Redding and Mount Shasta, I'm sure that could be enough to trip up some of the n00bs now that we are entering the mass adoption phase.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Looks like permits were pulled on June 28th, 2022 for the 8 supercharger stalls in the parking lot near the Sundial Bridge. Also the original permit issued for the Save Mart south of town has been voided so I’m assuming that one is dead in the water.
Previous location may not necessarily be dead. It’s hard to know with Tesla. There is a site in Hood River Oregon that was considered dead after negotiations halted & a new site was used. Then the owner of the first site changed their mind. The original site is now under construction.

Can somebody ttell me
Yeah I've driven that stretch a hundred times and never heard of Castella so that isn't it.

Lakehead already has CCS and Chademo so that would be the spot if there will eventually be another splitter(!).

With 61 miles and a 4,000 ft. elevation gain between Redding and Mount Shasta, I'm sure that could be enough to trip up some of the n00bs now that we are entering the mass adoption phase.

Yep, that would do it.

BTW, anybody know who has the parking lot this Redding Supercharger would be located at? Is it the auditorium, park or just a public parking lot?

Redding, CA

Host Type: Parking Lot
Host: ?
Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CA-44, CA-273

I-5

To: Mt. Shasta - 134 Morgan Way, CA - 61.9 miles
Diversion: 1.8 miles
To: Yreka, CA - 96.7 miles

Helping to split one of the "large" gaps on I-5.

Previous location may not necessarily be dead. It’s hard to know with Tesla. There is a site in Hood River Oregon that was considered dead after negotiations halted & a new site was used. Then the owner of the first site changed their mind. The original site is now under construction.
Good point… Hopefully the original location will get built at some point. If not there, maybe by the new Costco across the freeway? Either location would have much easier I-5 access. The Sundial Bridge area is not too far from I-5 but that parking lot gets crowded really quickly on the weekends, especially during nice weather. Additionally there are sometimes major concerts and events by the bridge and convention center that would make access difficult if not impossible. Not the best location but at least its something.

Not an optimal road trip stop, Cottonwood or Red Bluff is still better for that. There is a little cafe and public bathrooms by the sundial though on as well as the Sheraton where you could have a quick starter while waiting. It’ll be useful for local apartment dwellers though.
I agree there's not many food options, but it'll be useful for me. We stopped in this park for a walk with our friends (they drove ICE), but after leaving we needed to charge in Corning 50 miles south of Redding and so our friends got way ahead of us on our journey south. If I could have charged while stretching our legs, that would have been nice and it would have made the charging a transparent operation. Not all SC stops need to be meal/snack stops, A walk does every sedentary traveler good, and most SCs don't have good walking options.

Reactions: Jaymc5
You would figure at a bare minimum the City would have them installed somewhere that would generate sales tax. The Bridge is literally one of the worse places they could have done this.
The city didn't seem to want Tesla chargers...I believe they could have had the first Shasta set a long time ago but were anti Tesla somewhat.
probably just thinking EV's were a fad...like many around here (still even?)