Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA (LIVE 11 Oct 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a sad day for Redding that this is no longer a supercharger site. This was the second attempt for a supercharger to be here in Redding. It may be in fact that one will still be placed here, maybe a large installation like Kettleman city. But we are rural north and I had received an email from the city manager that EV adoption is not huge here and the charger at Target is only used 0.2 percent of the time. We are a major crossroad. We cannot drive to Reno from here thru Susanville in a model X. With the installation of Red Bluff only 15 minutes from Corning does give us a chance still, but probably not a priority. Anderson has installed a DC quick charger. I hope we will be re-reconsidered.

Reactions: Trekboy
The charger at target is only used .2% of the time because it’s trash and you’d get harassed by nearby transients. As usual Redding isn’t looking at the big picture, it’s not locals who are going to be using it the majority of the time. You can drive so much business to nearby restaurants and stores by having a SC there with a major interstate running though town, but what do I know.

Reactions: Blup85
The charger at target is only used .2% of the time because it’s trash and you’d get harassed by nearby transients. As usual Redding isn’t looking at the big picture, it’s not locals who are going to be using it the majority of the time. You can drive so much business to nearby restaurants and stores by having a SC there with a major interstate running though town, but what do I know.
I totally agree. The BIG picture here is that a SC in Redding is not for the locals, it is for the entire Tesla community, as Redding really is a hub to many outlying areas. Cybertruck customers will be huge in Northern California when the light bulb finally clicks in people's heads up here. A charger in Redding will have a tremendous psychological effect on all.

• Love
Reactions: Blup85 and ICEthis
I totally agree. The BIG picture here is that a SC in Redding is not for the locals, it is for the entire Tesla community, as Redding really is a hub to many outlying areas. Cybertruck customers will be huge in Northern California when the light bulb finally clicks in people's heads up here. A charger in Redding will have a tremendous psychological effect on all.

Exactly. We just road tripped down to LA for the weekend. Stopped at some great Superchargers like Kettleman City -- wow. But even other, smaller stations are great. In Sacramento we were able to check out a great restaurant we'd probably have never tried otherwise. Redding would benefit greatly from travelers stopping at a Supercharger. Locals will certainly use it but the target is people passing through, which is essentially anyone traveling through this end of the state.

In the end I'm glad to see the Red Bluff site open, and dang it's fast. I was the only one there last night and hit over 900 miles per hour. I'd still like to see a site open in Redding, though.

Reactions: Blucenturion
Or maybe this is part of a sinister plan by the fine denizens of Trinity County and northwestern Lassen County. Maybe Weaverville will receive a Supercharger to the west, while Bieber and Nubieber vie for the Supercharger to the east.

I have it on good word from a Tesla shop that it wasn’t Tesla but the city of Redding not approving it. So they moved on.
You have just echoed my sentiments on the thought processes going on in Redding Governmental Brains. No forward thinking going on here. The only thing they're interested in is compliance with state mandates. My wife and I recently sat through a 1 hour presentation at a City Council meeting on a wonderful downtown tear down and restructuring project. Half of the presentation focused on "parking" for retail customers and for residential units above those retail units. We were quite excited about the whole thing until, at the end, we realized not one word had been mentioned about any charging infrastructure. And this is Redding's 50 to 100 year plan?

You have just echoed my sentiments on the thought processes going on in Redding Governmental Brains. No forward thinking going on here. The only thing they're interested in is compliance with state mandates. My wife and I recently sat through a 1 hour presentation at a City Council meeting on a wonderful downtown tear down and restructuring project. Half of the presentation focused on "parking" for retail customers and for residential units above those retail units. We were quite excited about the whole thing until, at the end, we realized not one word had been mentioned about any charging infrastructure. And this is Redding's 50 to 100 year plan?
How many times are they going to try to “revitalize” downtown? I really don’t get the thinking of the city leaders...and you wonder why so many smart and talented people grow up there and leave town to never return. But hey we have an in n out!

Looks like we’re now looking at Q4 of this year 2021 for the Redding Target Supercharger. Just updated on their new supercharger map. Find Us | Tesla

Redding, CA | Tesla
I saw this also - Yeah! However, when you say "Redding Target Supercharger", Tesla is actually referring to a "target date", not necessarily a Supercharger opening at Target. Although the Target Store HAS been mentioned in the past as a possibility. We'll see.

I saw this also - Yeah! However, when you say "Redding Target Supercharger", Tesla is actually referring to a "target date", not necessarily a Supercharger opening at Target. Although the Target Store HAS been mentioned in the past as a possibility. We'll see.

Oh yeah, went back and looked and it does look like they mean “target opening” date and not the actual store. I just assumed Target the store because of the prior rumors. I think road trippers would much prefer to have superchargers at a location right by the freeway and lots of coffee shops and restaurants in the same lot. I know I prefer that when I’m on the road.

The Target store locations work well for people who live in apartments who can’t have a home charger and do all their charging at public chargers. They can do some grocery shopping or whatever while they charge a few times a week.

Just found this Plan Check for the City of Redding, Ca.
Plan Number PLCKC-2021-00114
Applied Date 01/26/2021
Type Building Plan Check (C) - Misc Structures
Completion Date
Expiration Date 07/26/2021
Status Pending
Main Parcel 068750008000
Project Name
Address 4629 CHURN CREEK RD Redding CA 0
Description CHURN CREEK MRKT PLACE PARKING AREA - TESLA SUPERCHARGER EV STATION

Just found this Plan Check for the City of Redding, Ca.
Plan Number PLCKC-2021-00114
Applied Date 01/26/2021
Type Building Plan Check (C) - Misc Structures
Completion Date
Expiration Date 07/26/2021
Status Pending
Main Parcel 068750008000
Project Name
Address 4629 CHURN CREEK RD Redding CA 0
Description CHURN CREEK MRKT PLACE PARKING AREA - TESLA SUPERCHARGER EV STATION
Just in case anyone is wondering where to see the description you listed, which for some reason isn't viewable in the eRecord itself. It can be seen when the record comes up in a search.

Redding, CA_permit.JPG

I wonder if this will dramatically decrease usage of red bluff. That one is in front of a grocery store. And further south of the shasta uphill climb. I'd definitely use redding if I go up that way again.
Shasta caverns was a fun 3 hr activity.

Redding, CA

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5

To: Mt. Shasta, CA - 63.9 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Yreka, CA - 99 miles

To: Medford, OR - 153.1 miles

More splitting in Northern California. Not Oregon. Just saying.