Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redding, CA (LIVE 11 Oct 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. A supercharger that brought all that business to town is just too good to be true right?
Up until a few months ago there was a literally a stand set up across the street selling nothing but TRUMP 2024, MAGA, and DON'T TREAD ON ME flags. You never know what the politicians have in mind when Tesla wants to come to town.

They have approval and a permit, right? Did something change?
I don’t think anything really changed, someone else mentioned they heard city of Redding was playing hardball…not the first I’ve heard the city being difficult with a charger. IIRC they sited the target charge points being used 1% of the time as a reason not to have a supercharger?

Def a need, the amount of teslas in town has exploded over the last couple months

I don’t think anything really changed, someone else mentioned they heard city of Redding was playing hardball…not the first I’ve heard the city being difficult with a charger. IIRC they sited the target charge points being used 1% of the time as a reason not to have a supercharger?

Def a need, the amount of teslas in town has exploded over the last couple months
Playing hardball is a GREAT idea if your goal is to get Tesla owners to completely bypass your town in favor of Corning, Red Bluff, Mount Shasta, and Yreka.

Yes not right if the city is being this way. This is one of the main reasons they dumped Redding and placed on in Red Bluff. I would rather it be here along with a service center since we have way more here in town that Chico. Susanville was a great addition now the worry driving here to Reno is over.

Playing hardball is a GREAT idea if your goal is to get Tesla owners to completely bypass your town in favor of Corning, Red Bluff, Mount Shasta, and Yreka.
This is nothing new for City of Redding. I grew up there. They played "Hardball" with Wal-Mart over a proposed DC for years until Wal-Mart put their DC in Red Bluff. Costco has been trying to move and add gas pumps like every other Costco for literally 15 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Supercharger end up off Knighton Road, one exit south, outside of the city limits. Anderson is another great spot near the Wal-Mart and Outlet Mall.

Yes not right if the city is being this way. This is one of the main reasons they dumped Redding and placed on in Red Bluff. I would rather it be here along with a service center since we have way more here in town that Chico. Susanville was a great addition now the worry driving here to Reno is over.
Wooh, Wood, Wooh... more than Chico? Everyone knows there's more Teslas here than in Redding! Ha!
And, we have the service center.. so there!

Costco has started construction just across the highway from where this SC is supposed to be. However I still don’t see any sign that they have started construction on the SC yet. I really hope it won’t be to much longer. My home charger was brocken for a couple days and Target was my only viable option during that time. And I can see why nobody charges there, also why does the city care if nobody uses the chargers they are not paying for them, are they?

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Maybe my Austin/Brandenburg analogy didn't make much sense. I actually meant to agree with you on Weaverville's progress. Weaverville has actually begun digging with some equipment in place, whereas Redding only has some spray painting to mark underground utilities on the far end of the Save Mart parking lot. These markings have already been there for a couple of weeks, and I'm assuming they are for the SC.

An inside source told me it isn't the City of Redding pushing back, in fact, they have given it the green light. However, Ross is pushing back and demanding they get more from the deal. The Neighboring store, Save Mart has given the thumbs up. This is getting ridiculous. Redding is long overdue for a Supercharger
What kickbacks if any would they get, if any? I doubt Teala is paying anyone extra other than the full burden of install..

What kickbacks if any would they get, if any? I doubt Teala is paying anyone extra other than the full burden of install..
Typically, large retail stores have all kinds of rights built into their leases that could give them veto rights over whether a supercharger can be built on the parking lot. Some negotiate those rights to extract additional fees back to the retail store owner. Tesla was smart to negotiate directly with Target to bypass store by store parking negotiation.

Reactions: mociaf9
My guess would be that their argument is that adding the supercharger will impact on parking availability and traffic levels/patterns in their portion of the lot, and that this is the basis underlying a request that their rent be adjusted to make up for these "impacts".

OK Gents here is what I have have....

I called Tippins office last week (City Manager) his staff was incredibly nice and confused about the Chargers. I gave them the info (from page 5 on this thread) and they spent some time looking into it. The plans were 100% approved with the location, Tesla has not moved forward. So this is where the hang-up is. The city however has finally got off their ass and approved the new J1772 chargers at the Sundial Bridge in the Sheraton parking lot. So those are up and running. If you have plug share I have uploaded and posted pics of them

Costco has started construction just across the highway from where this SC is supposed to be. However I still don’t see any sign that they have started construction on the SC yet. I really hope it won’t be to much longer. My home charger was brocken for a couple days and Target was my only viable option during that time. And I can see why nobody charges there, also why does the city care if nobody uses the chargers they are not paying for them, are they?
All the Hotels on Hilltop dr have chargers. Don't waster your hard earned moo-la-la, when you can get it for free