Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redondo Beach (LIVE 20 Jan 2015, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some speculation & wild guesses to throw out there.

Glendale\Burbank is getting a new Service Center on the next few months (location unknown) posable SpC?
Van Nuys Service Center is expanding (finally, compared to other SC's its a dump) posable SpC?

Thousand Oaks & Calabasas are both rumored to get SpC's, I have heard Malibu as well.

so you're saying speculatively that there will be a -4- new SCs in the area soon. doesn't that seem like a lot?

Last edited:
Culver City-Hawthorne-Redondo Beach are within 9 miles of each other so obviously enabling road trip charging isn't the only goal.

Rumors of a Downtown location have been floating around for awhile, maybe the new Service Center is closer to the I-5 / CA-134 Interchange so why not combine SC with SpCing?

Thousand Oaks has lots of safe malls\retail locations, The Oaks Mall would be perfect (172 West Hillcrest Drive Thousand Oaks, CA 91360) The Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar would be my choice :biggrin:.

Calabasas is only 15 miles from Thousand Oaks but based on Culver City-Redondo Beach proximity its a possibility, The Commons at Calabasas is a good location.

Finding an ideal location in the northern tip of the San Fernando valley is more challenging, while the I-5 at Roxford is convenient its not the great neighborhood.

Seems like a lot? yes, but so does Culver City-Redondo Beach.

Cottonwood mentioned Fountain Valley as a coming soon, after that I would list Top of San Fernando Valley then Thousand oaks if they are wanting more inter city sites.

Rumors of a Downtown location have been floating around for awhile, maybe the new Service Center is closer to the I-5 / CA-134 Interchange so why not combine SC with SpCing?

Sounds good to me. Unfortunately I have not heard anything about a downtown location. Furthermore, La Habra and Mission Viejo SvC have been lited as "coming soon" for ages and there seems to be no movement on them. Thus I don't see what you are suggesting happening any time soon.

If Fountain Valley comes on the map after Redondo Beach, Culver City, and Hawthorne then I'll just shake my head and laugh. Absurdity.

Of all the sites discussed here in recent posts, I think Fountain Valley would be the most important for immediate use. SJC is simply overwhelmed. My guess is that if it had 12 stations it would not be enough. FV would definitely off load that considerably, and is exactly 1/2 way between SJC and Redondo.
Anaheim/Buena Park would be an amazing location for those coming to/from Downtown to the OC.

Mods: Can we change the title of this thread to match the others? No longer needs a "?" as it is almost open: "Supercharger - Redondo Beach"

@4SUPER - Absolutely, something needs to be done to reduce congestion at SJC. However, Tesla is very heavily favoring the 405. For folks that are continuing along the 5, Fountain Valley will do absolutely nothing to help them out. IMO, we need at least one SpC along the 5 between SJC and Tejon. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. It just seems so logical to me and so illogical what Tesla is doing with the 405.

@4SUPER - Absolutely, something needs to be done to reduce congestion at SJC. However, Tesla is very heavily favoring the 405. For folks that are continuing along the 5, Fountain Valley will do absolutely nothing to help them out. IMO, we need at least one SpC along the 5 between SJC and Tejon. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. It just seems so logical to me and so illogical what Tesla is doing with the 405.
Yes. I would agree that something would be needed along the 5. That is why I suggested Anaheim. Close enough to San Diego to relieve SJC, and would allow a different option for all the folks who use the 5, instead of the 405. OTOH, Anaheim may be too far from Tejon. For those heading that direction, they could just take the 405 from points south of the 405/5 interchange. For those well north of that, say Downey, etc, a perfect option would be just over the hill, maybe around the 134. The Valley has nothing so far. This would be great for people heading in many directions.

Maybe it's just been easier to negotiate site leases on the 405. I think they are probably planning sites on the 5.

Really happy for this site. Culver City was too close to my home. This is close too, but much more convenient for me if needed, though this will not be often. I would rather pay for my own electricity and charge at home overnight, then spend time at a SpC. Then again, it's always nice chatting with the other Tesla folk.

One thing is for sure, I will probably never visit Hawthorne again. Unless, of course, it's for an event.

The Redondo Beach location allows for those who park at LAX to now SuperCharge in any of three freeway directions. It can also help those who need to SuperCharge before parking the Model S. It's a real time saver for those who no longer need to drive out of the way for a charge.

This location gives those who are enjoying a leisurely road trip on Highway 1 between Oxnard and San Juan Capistrano a more accessible place to top off with plenty of range for side trips.

Last edited:
Stopped by just to check it out, tried the Tomboy's Famous Chili Hamburgers joint accross the street but its not as good as the real Original Tommy's hamburger IMO.
IMG_0186.JPG

Traveling S on the 405 in car NAV exits you on Inglewood then you have to loop back north by making 3 left hand turns
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 5.12.55 PM.png

Might be quicker to exit Rosecrans blvd East, especially if in traffic (I am sure there are plenty of locals in the area that can advise)
Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 5.21.10 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 5.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 5.14.42 PM.png
    474 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Stopped by just to check it out, tried the Tomboy's Famous Chili Hamburgers joint accross the street but its not as good as the real Original Tommy's hamburger IMO.

Ahh, The Original Tommy's on Rampart! That sure brings back the memories when I was at SC and only had enough dough to take my date to Tommy's for dinner, then the Nine-Oh on Jefferson!

Might be quicker to exit Rosecrans blvd East, especially if in traffic (I am sure there are plenty of locals in the area that can advise)
View attachment 70291[/QUOTE]

When going south on the 405, getting off on Hindry would be quicker than exiting Rosecrans (and both quicker than exiting Inglewood. But be aware that Hindry is a small access road for a couple of car dealerships and that it is closed off by gates between 11p and 6a, so Inglewood would be the best way to go late at night.