Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Redondo Beach (LIVE 20 Jan 2015, 8 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I highly doubt this location will be expanding any time soon. I'm here charging here at 5:45am and I'm the only one here. 1 stall ICDd. Every other spot in this fairly large lot is filled (wrapping around the side of the building). It is unlikely that the owners would be willing to give up additional spots when there seems to be insufficient spaces for their own guests.
I'm currently staying at this hotel, (the red model s parked by the chargers) and you're right, we've come back to the hotel late a few times and had a hard time finding a spot.

I'm currently staying at this hotel, (the red model s parked by the chargers) and you're right, we've come back to the hotel late a few times and had a hard time finding a spot.
Yep, I saw your red beauty there. As an update, there were a couple of spots I saw on my way out, right next to the giant surfboard. Very undesirable spots, as someone mentioned above, as that is where the traffic comes in an out.

Reactions: AMPd
What is wrong with superchargers 4A and 3A at this site?

I am refilling at 230Am to make it home and have had multiple isssues.

4A was charging fast until when I hit 44% and then my MS85 sounded like it was going to take off. Huge buzzing sound! Was at 88kW at the time.

Then I moved over to 3A and was not able to get any charger fluctuating from 0-16kW and getting buzzing sounds.

I am at 2A now and getting expected charging rates and little to no noise.

4A was charging fast until when I hit 44% and then my MS85 sounded like it was going to take off. Huge buzzing sound! Was at 88kW at the time.

Then I moved over to 3A and was not able to get any charger fluctuating from 0-16kW and getting buzzing sounds.

After the first bad pedestal you encounter, consider calling Tesla (using the customer service phone number printed on each pedestal). Ask them for the best pedestals at the site and/or which ones to avoid (whichever ends up being the shorter list).

While there is a feature request somewhere in the queue to add more value to the Nav info (updated green/yellow/red/grey bars for relative pedestal health instead of just red as it is today), for now, calling is your best option. To maximize the value of the 3-5 minutes that such a call takes, I’ll ask about all of the remaining sites for the next leg of my trip. So maybe 6-7 sites over 1000 miles, for example.

While the information you get is a snapshot in time, it’s generally spot on, and can save, collectively, hours otherwise spent playing pedestal roulette at, say, 0230 during a holiday weekend.

The last couple of longer road trips (LA to BC/AB and LA to ID and back) have had a higher number of bad pedestals, and a trip 6 months ago from LA to SD to VT had a bad (whole) site that caused all sorts of problems - especially since it wasn’t marked as bad in Nav until the day after I called (despite problems logged in PlugShare for 2 weeks).

So... calling ahead until we get more (and more accurate/timely) info in Nav is yer best bet. The representatives have always been willing to help. Better to have the knowledge and use it than to keep getting frustrated.

Lastly, Redondo had a supply issue earlier in the year (SoCal Edison) but that’s been fixed. It’s a busy site, tho (livery, travelers, commuters, non-garaged locals). Can go from full to empty to full in the course of an hour.

I was at this SC (staying at the hotel) in late October. Arrived around 3pm on a weekday and all stalls were full with a few people waiting. Went out to dinner around 6pm, all stalls still full. Returned about 8pm and was able to get a spot and charge. Site seems very busy on weekday afternoons.

In an unrelated issue, when the app said there were 4 minutes left to charge I rushed down from my room so I wouldn't be taking up a spot after charging was complete. 15 minutes later I was still sitting in my car waiting for charging to finish. They need to give better estimates on the app notifications.

I was at this SC (staying at the hotel) in late October. Arrived around 3pm on a weekday and all stalls were full with a few people waiting. Went out to dinner around 6pm, all stalls still full. Returned about 8pm and was able to get a spot and charge. Site seems very busy on weekday afternoons.

In an unrelated issue, when the app said there were 4 minutes left to charge I rushed down from my room so I wouldn't be taking up a spot after charging was complete. 15 minutes later I was still sitting in my car waiting for charging to finish. They need to give better estimates on the app notifications.

I think--emphasis on think--that the countdown is rounded up to five minute intervals, so when there is actually 12 minutes remaining, the display shows 15 minutes.

When you charge to near capacity, the battery goes through some sort of rebalancing act with the cells. The time remaining display is no longer a decent estimate. Those last few kW can take a lot of time, and the display (if I recall) just says, "calculating time remaining," or something similar.

Call the 888 number on the stall to report this problem. Tesla will be grateful.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Call the 888 number on the stall to report this problem. Tesla will be grateful.

Has anybody used 3A and 4A since this complaint was posted?

Is it me, or are these stalls generally slower in charging anyway, than other Supercharger locations? I used the stall closest to the hotel entrance two nights ago, can’t remember the stall number, and got no faster than 160 miles per hour. First World problem, but it took 36 minutes to get 97 miles, starting at 25% battery charge.

I noticed there is a second Redondo location opening (in addition to the Manhattan Beach location) on the map.
The grey pin in Redondo Beach on the Tesla Find Us web page could also indicate that the existing Redondo Beach Supercharger will be expanded.

The grey pins do not indicate exact locations, only the approximate center of the city/town where a future Supercharger could be or where an existing Supercharger will be expanded.

I was at this supercharger site last Saturday, Sept. 15. I was staying at one of the hotels on the property, chosen because of the chargers there. When I got there around 2:30 p.m. there were cones blocking off the back 2 chargers and the other 6 chargers were full with people waiting. I didn't want to wait and had just enough charge left to be comfortable for a round trip to where I was going next, so I checked into the hotel and left without charging and increasing my margin of comfort. When I came back around 8 p.m. the cones were gone and all 8 stations were in use. I wonder why those 2 stations were coned off and then not coned off. I doubt if they were broken they got fixed on a Saturday between 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. I am wondering if something shady was going on (like someone put the cones there to reserve them for themselves, used them, and then removed the cones and left?).

Reactions: avesraggiana
I was at this supercharger site last Saturday, Sept. 15. I was staying at one of the hotels on the property, chosen because of the chargers there. When I got there around 2:30 p.m. there were cones blocking off the back 2 chargers and the other 6 chargers were full with people waiting. I didn't want to wait and had just enough charge left to be comfortable for a round trip to where I was going next, so I checked into the hotel and left without charging and increasing my margin of comfort. When I came back around 8 p.m. the cones were gone and all 8 stations were in use. I wonder why those 2 stations were coned off and then not coned off. I doubt if they were broken they got fixed on a Saturday between 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. I am wondering if something shady was going on (like someone put the cones there to reserve them for themselves, used them, and then removed the cones and left?).

That would be hard to verify unless you were willing to stake out the joint for six odd hours.

It does cause one to wonder, though. Whenever I’ve happened upon a broken supercharger, it’s never been coned off, always someone there before me passes on the word, before I even start maneuvering into the space.

Before I never really saw this supercharger with a line. I think people avoided it but when Hawthorne was temp closed it was a mad house. If I see people waiting, I know one of the chargers is broken. Most owners will try at least once. I think calling Tesla support and have them mark the stalls in use is way better than cones though. Because at least it will deter people from trying to go to the location.

Hopefully they get some urban superchargers nearby soon so the Redondo/Hawthorne superchargers will get some relief. Maybe the Culver City one too if it is north enough.

I am really looking forward to way more urban superchargers being deployed versus V1. They are great for traveling locations but the waits and time to charge makes it way better to just charge at home if you can. If you can't....that has to be very tough.

I do hope they get another location in the area soon.

***TEMPORARY CLOSURE ALERT***

Note that the Hilton Garden Inn will be resurfacing their parking lot, and it will impact SuperCharging from 10/28 to 11/3.

Stations will be very limited between 10/28 and 11/1.

TOTAL closure on 11/2 and 11/3. See attached image.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 56