Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible location - Renfrew, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am headed from Ottawa ro Huntsville friday

Wish me luck !

Supercharger in Renfrew would have been great

was thinking of renting a chademo adapter but not worth it
I just did Ottawa to Huntsville (and then beyond) and back on the weekend with my SR+.
With all of the hills and cooler weather it wasn't possible to make it all the way to Huntsville. I had to stop for about an hour at Greystone Lodge on Golden Lake on the way and then again at Couples Resort for about another 15 minutes. Even then coasted into Huntsville with 17km left. The Destination Chargers saved the day but made for a long trip. A guy pulled into Huntsville beside me with a Model S who was coming from Ottawa and only had 10km of range left.

On the way back I could have stopped at Greystone for about 75 minutes but instead was able to get enough in about 20 minutes to get to the Level 3 charger in Kanata at the Terry Fox park & ride. 11 minutes on the Electric Circuit with a ChaDeMo got me home. I was able to find someone who would lend me the adapter which was awesome as I needed it in Espanola as well at the PetroCan.

This would have been soooo much easier if there was a Renfrew charger!

A side note.... when I was charging in Huntsville we stopped at the Chuck's Roadhouse right beside the supercharger to eat. Note that they tack on an extra 3% onto their bill as an "Honest To Goodness Fee"... no one could explain what it was for but it wasn't negotiable. One person said it was to keep the prices down which seems silly. One said it was to counter the increased minimum wage. The menu said it was so they could server top quality beef... but we had chicken. If you want to eat I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: PStewart
Thanks for the info, I see on PlugShare there are a few Chademos, maybe I should rent one for the trip

if you did it again would you ?

thanks
The Chademos listed seem to have slow charging speeds - not up to Level 3 standards. Also one or two of them seemed to be questionable for availability on Plugshare. Just because it has the plug doesn't mean it has the juice.

I only did the trip because I HAD to get to Sault Ste Marie and this was the only way to get there without the Deep River Supercharger. Added 3 1/2 hours to the trip. I don't think I'd do it again with the SR+ unless there was some urgency. But it's good to know it can be done.

On the upside, the fall colours in Algonquin Park were spectacular this weekend!!!! However that meant there was a lot of traffic on the road which caused some slow-downs.

Reactions: surfaholic
A side note.... when I was charging in Huntsville we stopped at the Chuck's Roadhouse right beside the supercharger to eat. Note that they tack on an extra 3% onto their bill as an "Honest To Goodness Fee"... no one could explain what it was for but it wasn't negotiable. One person said it was to keep the prices down which seems silly. One said it was to counter the increased minimum wage. The menu said it was so they could server top quality beef... but we had chicken. If you want to eat I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
Hahaha that is amazing :)

Hi guys this will be my first post so take it easy on me as we are new to EV's. Currently anxiously awaiting a new Model y that we have on pre-order. From our location, North Bay, it is not a North Bay or Deep River supercharger we are looking to pop up but one at the west end of Ottawa; Arnprior, Renfrew would be perfect. This way we can charge up on the way into Ottawa and top up on the way out. When we plot our trip it indicates no charging required, however, we will be returning ;-). Tesla should understand it is not T.O. were northern Ontario gravitates as it is definitively Ottawa. As a former west end Ottawa boy, still with ties, the Rideau Centre is definitely not what I see as practical or convenient.

Reactions: GarthG and MarcoRP
Thanks wayner for the info, been to that link and it indicates 2019 construction which maybe running out. We understand what the early adopters must have gone through and we believe that purchasing their 6th generation vehicle we will have less anxiety. West end Ottawa definitely would help with this as it will make it no difference from our trip right now, other than a top up on the way out.

I don't believe that any of the SCs under construction will be completed in 2019. If normal practice holds we will likely soon see them move to expected completions of 2020. Your hometown is proof that these SCs can often be built years behind schedule - I believe the North Bay SC was first scheduled to be completed in 2016. It looks like it will open in 2020.

The Perth, Renfrew, Peterborough and Brockville pins all use to say 2018 back in Sep 2018 when I got my car. It was why I got my Tesla and before I learned of Elon time. Fyi I love the car but not the communication skills of Tesla
I don't believe that any of the SCs under construction will be completed in 2019. If normal practice holds we will likely soon see them move to expected completions of 2020. Your hometown is proof that these SCs can often be built years behind schedule - I believe the North Bay SC was first scheduled to be completed in 2016. It looks like it will open in 2020.

Based on the North Bay and Deep River SC's both showing up in Canadian tire parking lots there may be a good chance that the Canadian Tire on O'Brien (hyw 60) would be a good place to look for activity when and if construction does start in Renfrew. West end anywhere Nepean, Kanata, Arnproir; you name it, would be better than under the parliament buildings on Rideau. Guess one is a whole lot better than none and I have aways liked the byward market area. Bet it was for the beaver tails that made the Cali boys put the first one at this location ;).

I just did Ottawa to Huntsville (and then beyond) and back on the weekend with my SR+.
With all of the hills and cooler weather it wasn't possible to make it all the way to Huntsville. I had to stop for about an hour at Greystone Lodge on Golden Lake on the way and then again at Couples Resort for about another 15 minutes. Even then coasted into Huntsville with 17km left. The Destination Chargers saved the day but made for a long trip. A guy pulled into Huntsville beside me with a Model S who was coming from Ottawa and only had 10km of range left.

On the way back I could have stopped at Greystone for about 75 minutes but instead was able to get enough in about 20 minutes to get to the Level 3 charger in Kanata at the Terry Fox park & ride. 11 minutes on the Electric Circuit with a ChaDeMo got me home. I was able to find someone who would lend me the adapter which was awesome as I needed it in Espanola as well at the PetroCan.

This would have been soooo much easier if there was a Renfrew charger!

Adding a tax is actually not allowed in Canada. There are tourism taxes in places like Niagara Falls but it is a bunch of BS. It use yo be if you disputed the tax they would remove it but unfortunately it’s now a bylaw. In saying that some tourist areas are trying to collect a MAT (municipal Accommodation Tax) but thats only for rooms. Huntsville has such a tax (test project) but I do not believe it applies to any but hotels and B&B’s. We pay enough taxes, just more greed.

I message the Town of Renfrew to see if they have any updates and I got this in response:

"At this point in time, we are still waiting to hear back from Tesla. We have sent them all of the information in order to have a charger placed in Renfrew, but have not heard back if they are interested. If there is any new information we will post to our page. Thank you"

So the ball is in Tesla's court, I think the "Permit" status on Supercharge.info is premature :-(

I worry now that they have the Deep River charger this one will even take longer to be built. I still don't understand why Deep River was built before Renfrew. As Renfrew to North Bay is as doable as much as Ottawa to Deep River is. I think
Renfrew shoud have been the first choice for this corridor is it also junctions for those taking HWY 60. So those going to Alguinguin Park and even all the way to Huntsville or coming from can also do that without worry.

I worry now that they have the Deep River charger this one will even take longer to be built. I still don't understand why Deep River was built before Renfrew. As Renfrew to North Bay is as doable as much as Ottawa to Deep River is. I think
Renfrew shoud have been the first choice for this corridor is it also junctions for those taking HWY 60. So those going to Alguinguin Park and even all the way to Huntsville or coming from can also do that without worry.

The math makes more sense in deep river then rideau - renfrew - north bay. Temperatures, weather and the hills between deep river to mattawa means that a remote SC at deep river is a must for complete adoption here. Deep River is a big step and shows a Tesla commitment to us Canucks; ty Elon. Late December Tesla linked us coast to coast with a lot being V3 SC. We can enjoy and hope for more. Sudbury - Ottawa should now be a go now with Deep River online. One just this side of Ottawa would be a bonus.

I hear you and excited for any Supercharger and it would be a challenging stretch for older shorter range cars in winter (but still possible). But I don't agree with adoption. Ottawa - Huntsville is also needed for adoption and if in place I believe would get more people interested in Tesla(buyers) then Deep River to North Bay. And Renfrew - North Bay is still doable with the current new Tesla cars.
weather and the hills between deep river to mattawa means that a remote SC at deep river is a must for complete adoption here. Sudbury - Ottawa should now be a go now with Deep River online. One just this side of Ottawa would be a bonus.

I hear you and excited for any Supercharger and it would be a challenging stretch for older shorter range cars in winter (but still possible). But I don't agree with adoption. Ottawa - Huntsville is also needed for adoption and if in place I believe would get more people interested in Tesla(buyers) then Deep River to North Bay. And Renfrew - North Bay is still doable with the current new Tesla cars.

Rideau to north bay 360 KM and would be pushing newer vehicles in the cold and snow. With one in deep river and one in north bay you should be able to do Huntsville as it is only 130 km from the bay down to Huntsville. Appears they will do major highways first.