Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine an adapter for $99, that would allow access to CCS chargers across Canada

I wouldn't expect it to be that cheap. (The J1772 adapter costs $95 US.) You would have to look at how much the European CCS adapter costs. (Which is 170 Euros, so would be about $190 US.)

My guess is they aren't ready to put the demand on the Service Centers yet for the retrofitting for older S&Xs that can't use just the dumb adapter.

They don't have to make the S and X upgrades free for this hypothetical CCS adapter. They could make it 1-2 hours of labour and control demand that way.

But... It took 2+ years just to software enable the existing Chademo adapter for the 3. And they've had a lot of recent free supercharging offers, including back to free unlimited for S and X. They are doubling down on their own charging network. I wouldn't hold my breath for CCS in North America.

They don't have to make the S and X upgrades free for this hypothetical CCS adapter. They could make it 1-2 hours of labour and control demand that way.

Nobody suggested it would be free. In Europe they charge 330 Euros to get the retrofit on your car to work with the adapter. (Actually 500 Euros, but that includes the adapter itself.) So it would cost ~$360 US to make an old S/X compatible.

But they don't have the resources to support that. Even in Europe with the charge people are having a hard time getting the kit and time on the schedule to get their car made compatible.

If only Tesla 'allowed' us the use of a CCS adapter for a reasonable price.

I suppose their reason not to is financial and not technical.

Imagine an adapter for $99, that would allow access to CCS chargers across Canada, and not having to carry around that ridiculous almost $700 chademo monstrosity that serves a dying standard.

C'mon Tesla. Do the right thing.
Ugh I agree, charging on J1772 is brutally slow and I am too cheap to get the $602 adapter because there are plenty of Tesla chargers around town, and home charging is decent.

Maybe next year Tesla can do the Model S refresh with dual charge ports, a CCS / J1772 port and on the other side their traditional Tesla fast charger. Just a thought.

Reactions: Legen---dary
Ugh I agree, charging on J1772 is brutally slow and I am too cheap to get the $602 adapter because there are plenty of Tesla chargers around town, and home charging is decent.

Maybe next year Tesla can do the Model S refresh with dual charge ports, a CCS / J1772 port and on the other side their traditional Tesla fast charger. Just a thought.

I bet the 3 can already do CCS internally. The snakes at Tesla are just not allowing it. Totally unfounded assertion I'm spouting, but with how Tesla has treated me, I wouldn't put it past them to allow the expensive ($602 x tax in BC) chademo adapter sales just to dump stock of this dead-standard adapter, and not allow us to use CCS until the stock is out, or they decide to stop charging so much at superchargers (50c/minute is crazy at the slow rates I get).

I trust them exactly zero these days. Still the greatest cars! lol

Why hasn't this location been entered into Plugshare?
IMG_2890.jpg

Reactions: Araman0

Attachments

• 2C393AD5-F1CE-43A5-B410-2C56F8E325CF.jpeg
    2C393AD5-F1CE-43A5-B410-2C56F8E325CF.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 87
  • FFC36D08-6CD6-47E0-AB84-B302A1759ED0.jpeg
    FFC36D08-6CD6-47E0-AB84-B302A1759ED0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • BAD926D6-D94D-40B8-8D3E-8E6D9654FB2B.jpeg
    BAD926D6-D94D-40B8-8D3E-8E6D9654FB2B.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 530AFB38-19B0-4CC2-BB45-C69C2D16FD0E.jpeg
    530AFB38-19B0-4CC2-BB45-C69C2D16FD0E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • 233B5A8C-8E9F-4BDF-B4C0-DEFDFC31E2DA.jpeg
    233B5A8C-8E9F-4BDF-B4C0-DEFDFC31E2DA.jpeg
    913.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 5FC00418-2598-4424-AA92-EE390F3E7231.jpeg
    5FC00418-2598-4424-AA92-EE390F3E7231.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the reply, you are right, the Level 2 Charger won't be worth my time.
My apartment complex doesn't have an ev car port so I'm figuring out what I can do.

Lets say for a Model S 75D, I guess that charges at >60kW at ~0.45/min? (I dont really know how to quantify that... how much per full tank?)
I'm wondering how many times I have to charge at the SuperStores CHAdeMO to justify the $600 cost.

Planning to get a Tesla around Dec, hopefully the Richmond Center SC would be complete by then.
The questions you've received answers for are relevant to the Model 3. If you are buying a Model S, you might be able to buy it with free Supercharging. If this happens, it will be towards the end of the quarter when Tesla is trying to max out deliveries. You said you might buy in December?

This is off-topic for this thread, and has been discussed in detail in the right forums.

Because then Chuq would come along and tell us we’re all crazy to add Superchargers on PlugShare, a point I strongly disagree with him on.
I'm with @Chuq on that one. PlugShare gets Supercharger info from Tesla, once the charger is complete, operational and "blessed" by Tesla. If you add an oddball charger type at a not-yet-operational site, you are not helping PlugShare users. You are just adding unhelpful electronic cholesterol that has to be scraped out and deleted by somebody else later.

This is not unique to Tesla either. I went through the same thing when trying to add a ChargePoint site. I think it is the same situation with all the "network" chargers: Tesla, ChargePoint, Blink, FLO etc.

Reactions: Chuq and Big Earl
I bet the 3 can already do CCS internally. The snakes at Tesla are just not allowing it. Totally unfounded assertion I'm spouting, but with how Tesla has treated me, I wouldn't put it past them to allow the expensive ($602 x tax in BC) chademo adapter sales just to dump stock of this dead-standard adapter, and not allow us to use CCS until the stock is out, or they decide to stop charging so much at superchargers (50c/minute is crazy at the slow rates I get).

I trust them exactly zero these days. Still the greatest cars! lol
FWIW, if Tesla creates an adapter for CCS, it has to be approved by the CCS technical group, and so far they have said "no". Tesla makes a CCS adapter for use in Europe, but keep in mind that the two CCS systems and plugs are different despite common usage calling them the same.

Sorry you've been burned by Tesla. Hopefully there will be a reconciliation some day. I've had my own set of problems with Elon & co., but my relationship is a survivor.

(Edit) P.S. Similarly, Tesla made the Chademo to Tesla adapter because the Chademo organization allowed them to.

Last edited:
Because then Chuq would come along and tell us we’re all crazy to add Superchargers on PlugShare, a point I strongly disagree with him on.

It's not that it's crazy to add them. It's that it's impossible to add them without entering incorrect/fake data, and when people add fake sites it reduces the usefulness of the site as a whole. I'd hate to be the Leaf owner who limped into a town intending to use a wall outlet to find that it's wasn't a wall outlet, it was a pile of dirt that might be a Tesla supercharger station in a few months. If Plugshare enable the manual addition of superchargers then great, I'd be all for it!

It's not that it's crazy to add them. It's that it's impossible to add them without entering incorrect/fake data, and when people add fake sites it reduces the usefulness of the site as a whole. I'd hate to be the Leaf owner who limped into a town intending to use a wall outlet to find that it's wasn't a wall outlet, it was a pile of dirt that might be a Tesla supercharger station in a few months. If Plugshare enable the manual addition of superchargers then great, I'd be all for it!

Yes, but people add SC locations as Tesla ports, which are then either deleted or the location gets the port changed into some sort of wall outlet and restricted filter. Usual, that filter means the location is restricted to employees and sometimes customers (Hotels). It should be up to any PlugShare user to read the details of the location they plan on visiting, because there are always some errors here and there, in terms of charging ports, restricted location or not, pay parking or not, etc. If PlugShare kept the locations as Tesla ports and put them as Coming soon, people should have enough knowledge to assert that the location is not functional and shouldn’t be counted on.

Usually, Tesla Superchargers under construction are added as Tesla ports. No one can use charge from a Tesla charger other than Teslas (and anyone with one of of those Tesla Jdapters). If we only account for Tesla owners, which are usually aware of any Supercharger buildout near them, could find a Coming Soon Supercharger location on PlugShare, they will probably know it’s a Supercharger and find another location to charge, or they will pass by, snap a picture or two, and move on.

Also, PlugShare is occasionally a reliable source for finding new Superchargers and sometimes getting updates in more isolated and less-frequented areas, like W. Ontario. That is one of the reasons I made the Superchargers on PlugShare thread, so that we credit the PlugShare community for some Supercharger findings, notably Surrey, BC; Smithfield, NC, Newport News, VA, not for you to bash anyone who goes on to add another location on top of the restricted wall outlet location. Just a side-note, usually people who add another location on top of an existing one either don’t have their “wall outlet” or “restricted” filters active. Even with the Nearby Locations when adding a marker, I’ve been told they take another look, still not able to find the marker in question, then proceed to add a new location anyway.

This is my argument, and I know this subject comes up again and again, but I seriously think PlugShare should add under construction Superchargers to their map even as Tesla ports. And again, their agreement with Tesla forbids them to, so I guess this debate will never end.

P.S. for this quote: I’ve been on PlugShare for 3 years and never once has that happened to me, ever. Could you post me a screen pic of that?
Plugshare literally pops up an error saying not to add superchargers as soon as you choose plug type 'supercharger'.

... No one can use charge from a Tesla charger other than Teslas (and anyone with one of of those Tesla Jdapters). ...
Minor detail, but we are (mostly) talking about Superchargers here and the Tesla J adapter works with Tesla Destination chargers aka HPWC aka wall chargers. It does not work with Superchargers.

I saw one in Kansas City last year at an Urban Supercharger (here, but it doesn't matter). The guy spent a few bucks on it and could not get it to work. He was able to use the Chademo across the lot. I figured out later that Superchargers know about them but won't provide power. The HPWC either doesn't know better or doesn't care. The device is available here.