Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Richmond, VA - S Providence Rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not even open yet but already damaged.

midlo.jpg

Reactions: mociaf9
Update: Transformer and meter in place.
Looks like this one is getting close!

I only live a few minutes from this location, so if any of the "Superchargers visited" crowd would like to meet up when visiting this Supercharger I'd be happy to slip over to chat for a few. If I'm in town I can probably be there on short notice.

Hope to finally meet some of y'all!

Reactions: Big Earl and Lanny
Looks like this one is getting close!

I only live a few minutes from this location, so if any of the "Superchargers visited" crowd would like to meet up when visiting this Supercharger I'd be happy to slip over to chat for a few. If I'm in town I can probably be there on short notice.

Hope to finally meet some of y'all!
I live 25 minutes west and would be interested in a meet up if we can get a few people interested.

Reactions: corywright
Stopped by here for a quick charge today. This is a very interesting location in my estimation. Other than Stoney Point a few miles down the road it’s kind of out of the way of traveler or even commuter traffic. You have to use the Powhite (toll road) to really get to it unless you are just taking local roads or live off Midlo Trnpke or Chippenham. There are many other Sheetz and WaWa’s on this side of Richmond all over the 288 corridor that would’ve been a better location. IMO placing one near the 288/64 interchange or further down 288 would’ve been ideal. I’m pretty sure there is a WaWa right there too before you head into Short Pump. Idk my only guess is this SuC is to service locals and not travelers, but even then it’s still a very curious location. I guess if they eventually put one further out on 288 up near Short Pump/I-64 this one won’t look so weird. Also the parking signs seem backwards as the “Tesla charging only” signs are in the front (where all the cars are parked in my picture) whereas the “15 min general parking” signs are in the back (where I parked). Just my 2 cents as someone who grew up in Richmond but now lives in SC!

DBD251D8-1368-42D2-B816-CC0FB0E8A6DE.jpeg

Stopped by here for a quick charge today. This is a very interesting location in my estimation. Other than Stoney Point a few miles down the road it’s kind of out of the way of traveler or even commuter traffic. You have to use the Powhite (toll road) to really get to it unless you are just taking local roads or live off Midlo Trnpke or Chippenham. There are many other Sheetz and WaWa’s on this side of Richmond all over the 288 corridor that would’ve been a better location. IMO placing one near the 288/64 interchange or further down 288 would’ve been ideal. I’m pretty sure there is a WaWa right there too before you head into Short Pump. Idk my only guess is this SuC is to service locals and not travelers, but even then it’s still a very curious location. I guess if they eventually put one further out on 288 up near Short Pump/I-64 this one won’t look so weird. Also the parking signs seem backwards as the “Tesla charging only” signs are in the front (where all the cars are parked in my picture) whereas the “15 min general parking” signs are in the back (where I parked). Just my 2 cents as someone who grew up in Richmond but now lives in SC!

I completely agree about this being an odd location. I live just west of Richmond and grew up in the area this is located. It's not the safest area these days. The 288 corridor would make much more sense.

I completely agree about this being an odd location. I live just west of Richmond and grew up in the area this is located. It's not the safest area these days. The 288 corridor would make much more sense.

Stopped in for a charge yesterday (Sunday) around 3:30 PM. Every stall was taken. I was 1st in line and when I left someone was waiting for my spot. It's a 13 mile tolled drive for me to get to this Supercharger from home and another 13 miles back. I sure wish Tesla would put a SC out 360 or really anywhere along 288 from 360 to the river on the west side. We don't even have EA or other DC fast chargers out here. #hurtin

Stopped in for a charge yesterday (Sunday) around 3:30 PM. Every stall was taken. I was 1st in line and when I left someone was waiting for my spot. It's a 13 mile tolled drive for me to get to this Supercharger from home and another 13 miles back. I sure wish Tesla would put a SC out 360 or really anywhere along 288 from 360 to the river on the west side. We don't even have EA or other DC fast chargers out here. #hurtin

Reactions: Chris Barnes
THANKS! I put in a suggestion for the Metro Richmond Zoo (8300 Beaver Bridge Rd, Moseley, VA 23120). Would help fill in a giant hole where there aren't any chargers and maybe help with zoo attendance in the process!
I'm not sure a zoo is a good fit for typical Supercharger use models. You have road trip use (where a quick in and out is desired) and you have use by locals who have no ability to charge at home/work and would ideally like to combine their periodic (weekly, or perhaps more often) charging trips with a regular activity (such as grocery shopping).

A zoo is a place you would go to occasionally and spend a few hours (not 15-30 minutes), so it seems like destination chargers would be the more appropriate chargers for this kind of venue.

I'm not sure a zoo is a good fit for typical Supercharger use models. You have road trip use (where a quick in and out is desired) and you have use by locals who have no ability to charge at home/work and would ideally like to combine their periodic (weekly, or perhaps more often) charging trips with a regular activity (such as grocery shopping).

A zoo is a place you would go to occasionally and spend a few hours (not 15-30 minutes), so it seems like destination chargers would be the more appropriate chargers for this kind of venue.
Please feel free to suggest better locations (using the link Tdreamer provided). I could literally put in 30 gas stations on the west side of Richmond but I'm sure Tesla doesn't want that kind of feedback from me.

Please feel free to suggest better locations (using the link Tdreamer provided). I could literally put in 30 gas stations on the west side of Richmond but I'm sure Tesla doesn't want that kind of feedback from me.
I don't really have a horse in that race as I'm rarely in that part of Richmond, but let me ask: what do you think the biggest need is: travelers passing through on highways (US-60, US-360, I-64), or local users that have no home/work charging options? That will help dictate where and what types of hosts would be best suited for network expansion.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tdreamer