TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by rvyay, Jul 31, 2017.

1. rvyay

rvyay New Member

(Not VA Center Commons)
    Tesla's website shows a supercharger coming to downtown Richmond near the Carpenter Center by end of 2017 with the caveat that location and timing is subject to change. I read that Tesla was shifting its strategy to put superchargers in urban areas to give condo and apt dwellers a place to charge (also eventually for the Tesla network). Perhaps this location is related to this strategy?

Does anyone have any info on this? I searched, but I could only find info on the mall site. I assume this isn't related to the new Richmond showroom, as that site has destination chargers only.

2. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

That is not the actual location. The pin on the map is simply over the name Richmond on Google maps. It appears that they are simply going to expand the station in Glenn Allen.

Superchargers in VA

Superchargers in VA

• Like x 1
  3. rvyay

rvyay New Member

Thanks, Sonny. I didn't expect it to be the actual location, but Glen Allen isn't technically Richmond. And Tesla calls one Glen Allen and this one Richmond. I was hoping there'd be one closer to my place downtown. Oh well...fingers crossed!

4. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

Still waiting to see some construction signs at Glen Allen, the markings have been present for weeks, but no work seems to be present.

5. se210

se210 New Member

When you google "9850 West Broad Street" they have 4 charger outside in the parking lot in the Glen Allen store but not supercharger ?

6. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

There are many reasons why a store may have HPWC's but not Superchargers such as not enough power from the grid, not enough space in parking lot, landlord would not allow, permitting would not allow, no available 24 hour services or Tesla just didn't want to.

7. BigD0g

BigD0g Member

There is not enough power available in the shopping center to support an SC. My birdy told me this long ago, they wanted one, but Dominion couldn't provide the power to support it.

8. EVTECH

EVTECH Member

I also heard that Tesla is no longer installing superchargers outside Service Centers because of the unexpected demand it puts on service. People stopping by to charge have small concerns they want addressed right away, service didn't have the time allotted, and the owner gets upset because it can't be taken care of. It's a bad experience for everyone. Heard this in regards to the supercharger up in Dedham MA.

• Helpful x 2
  9. se210

se210 New Member

When you look on Tesla future supercharger they show one on E Grace between 7th and 8th street, going to look around next time I go downtown.

10. CHRGIT

CHRGIT Member

Sorry, the future upcoming Superchargers are only on the town name, not the exact location.

11. se210

se210 New Member

Thanks did not know, may make more sense to install one around 288 or the split of I 95 and I 85.(Petersburg area)

12. SteelSully

SteelSully Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking as well, since there is a fair amount of distance between the Glen Allen and Rocky Mount chargers on 95. I would absolutely love a supercharger off of 288/95 since that would be in the path of my daily commute! Petersburg - not so much...