Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Roanoke Rapids, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any updates on this one? If they're still on track for Q1 this site is probably under construction already.
As mentioned, the Sheetz right off 95 is a good guess if anyone is in the area to scout it out.

I checked out the Sheetz a few weeks ago and there weren't any signs of activity, not even utility markings. I drove around to a few other potential locations but didn't see anything worth noting.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore but on the map of 'where chargers should go' #2 hurt a lot for a trip I needed to take to Arapahoe, NC. Unfortuantely COVID lockdowns kept me from going after all, so I didn't have to figure it out. Now we won't need to go as my daughter aged out of YGuides and missed her 2nd/3rd year options.

😆wowwwww.

Roanoke.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: jcaruso
Sorry to see Roanoke Rapids is pushed back to 2022, it would have cut in 1/2 the gap between Rocky Mount, NC and Petersburg, Va and made the trip a little less stressful.
I’m headed to Norfolk, VA tomorrow from Raleigh. A Roanoke Rapids Supercharger (or Emporia, VA is my preferred location) would really be a welcome addition on the I-95 corridor. A charge in either RR or Emporia would enable me to go to Norfolk, and back to RR without having to futz with the VA Beach or Norfolk Superchargers which are always crowded and a considerable distance out of the way from where I need to go.

Oh well, I can’t believe duplicate charging stations on US-70 in Goldsboro and Kinston took precedence over a location on I-95, especially since they’re only about 20 miles apart, but look how long it took to get any Supercharger near Charleston… the Supercharger location picker algorithm is definitely not perfect.

Reactions: Bobbo8 and jsight
the Supercharger location picker algorithm is definitely not perfect.
Those two sites (Goldsboro and Kinston) were almost certainly at the behest of Sheetz and Smithfields, not initiated from the Tesla side. Those outlets realize they have a vested interest in getting out ahead of the EV charging curve. The ones that appear on the Coming Soon map are the ones that are more likely the Tesla-initiated ones.

I will say that I'm quite surprised that Sheetz themselves is not hurrying this one along though. They do seem to be very good about determining where the weak spots in the network are and being proactive about it, although there are exceptions to that rule as well.

Oh well, I can’t believe duplicate charging stations on US-70 in Goldsboro and Kinston took precedence over a location on I-95, especially since they’re only about 20 miles apart, but look how long it took to get any Supercharger near Charleston… the Supercharger location picker algorithm is definitely not perfect.
Maybe, but the run from rocky mount to Petersburg is only 95 miles and I have to assume the beach traffic to and from on 70 gets pretty heavy on Friday/Sunday where maybe 16 chargers made sense.

Obviously, more chargers the better :)

Maybe, but the run from rocky mount to Petersburg is only 95 miles and I have to assume the beach traffic to and from on 70 gets pretty heavy on Friday/Sunday where maybe 16 chargers made sense.

Obviously, more chargers the better :)
It may on the weekends in peak summer traffic, but 95 is crazy all the time. For me, it is really more about the folks going to VA Beach/Chesapeake/Norfolk from points west and south. When I leave Raleigh the Rocky Mount charger is just not far enough along to make sense stopping at because it’s so close to Raleigh. RR or Emporia would be a perfect place about 130-140 miles into the trip to plug in for 10-15 mins. Emporia is my preferred location because it’s along highway 58 which is a main east-west artery in Southern VA and it’s also where the ElectrifyAm charger is. I figure in the future there’s a good chance we could have both a Tesla and non-Tesla EV so I’d like to be able to stop at the same general exit to charge if we are driving in a caravan to VA.

Reactions: Bobbo8
According to installers at the new Garner, NC location, the RR Supercharger is actually going to be at the Halifax, NC Dunkin right along I-95.

Dunkin'
(252) 538-0012
Other then the Dunkin Donuts there isn’t much there. Roanoke Rapids would have been a better site BUT I am thankful they are closing the gap

Other then the Dunkin Donuts there isn’t much there. Roanoke Rapids would have been a better site BUT I am thankful they are closing the gap
Yeah, I agree. I did zoom in one the map and see there's already a ChargePoint charger at the Dunkin, so it sort of does make sense that they would possibly co-locate this there. I also suspect this allows them enough distance to put one in Emporia, but that's just me being EXTREMELY hopeful, because that would be my preferred location since it also is where the EA charger is.