Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rock Springs, WY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is for discussion of the upcoming supercharger at the White Mountain Mall in Rock Springs, Wyoming. DrivingRockies received confirmation from mall management that it is coming:

I reached out to them on the 24th of January. Today I received this in reply:

"Yes, the superchargers will be in the mall parking lot between Applebee’s and Sapporo’s Japanese Steakhouse. Construction should start in the spring but is mostly dependent on the weather. Coming soon, though."

This will "complete" I-80 in a marginal sense. It would be completely traversable in warm weather in an 85+ although you'd have to drive at slow speeds to complete the Cheyenne to Rock Springs stretch. Keep an eye out for permits in Rawlins as that would make the drive much easier.

Reactions: Galve2000
Rock Springs, WY

Interstates: I-80
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-191

I-80:
To: Cheyenne, WY - 264 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Ogallala, NE - 427 miles

US-191*
To: Jackson, WY - 177 miles
Diversion: 32 miles (different route :p)

To: Billings, MT (US-191, WY-28, US-287, US-26, US-20, WY-120, MT-72, US-310, US-212, I-90) - 376 miles
To: Sheridan, WY (I-80, US-287, WY-220, WY-257, US-26BYP, I-25, I-90) - 375 miles
To: Gillette, WY (I-80, US-287, WY-220, WY-257, US-26BYP, I-25, WY-259, WY-387, WY-50) - 351 miles
To: Lusk, WY (I-80, US-287, WY-220, WY-257, US-26BYP, I-25, US-18) - 334 miles
To: Loveland, CO (I-80, US-287, I-25) - 291 miles
To: Silverthorne, CO (I-80, WY-130, WY-230, CO-125, CO-14, US-40, CO-9) - 318 miles
To: Glenwood Springs, CO (WY-430, CO-10N, CO-318, US-40, CO-57, CO-7, CO-13, I-70) - 228 miles
To: Santa Fe, NM (I-80, WY-789, CO-13, US-40, CO-27, CO-131, I-70, US-24, US-285, CO-17, US-285, I-25) - 602 miles
To: Grand Junction, CO (US-191, US-40, CO-64, CO-139, I-70) - 244 miles
To: Farmington, NM (WY-430, CO-10N, CO-318, US-40, CO-57, CO-7, CO-13, I-70, US-50, US-550, NM-516) - 468 miles
To: Moab, UT (US-191, US-40, CO-64, CO-139, I-70, US-191) - 323 miles
To: Nephi, UT (I-80, US-40, US-189, UT-52, I-15)- 244 miles
To: Tremonton, UT (I-80, I-84) - 211 miles
To: Pocatello, ID (I-80, US-30, I-15) - 243 miles
To: Idaho Falls, ID (US-191, US-89, US-26) - 260 miles
To: Lima, MT (US-191, US-89, US-26, Local, I-15) - 343 miles
To: Big Timber, MT (US-191, WY-28, US-287, US-26, US-20, WY-120, MT-72, US-310, US-212, MT-421, I-90) - 421 miles

Lots of holes to fill.
* This will in fact be the _ninth_ Supercharger on US-191.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I want to eventually do NYC to Yellowstone someday (probably in the spring season) and have been playing around with EVTripplanner. I would like to do this Via I-80 but things get pretty dicey after Cheyenne, WY – a SuperCharger in Rawlins, WY would certainly help. (as would a ChAdeMo in Lander or anywhere along rt-287/ rt-26)

If I had to do NYC to Yellowstone this spring, I would charge to 100% at Cheyenne, spend 3-4 hours at a KOA in Rawlins, and another 3-4 hours in Lander before continuing onto the park. My intended final destination: old Faithful Snow Lodge.

but yea, it would be a long day of Level 2 charging and I'd drive myself nuts.

This is great news!

I did see the charger you mentioned at Breadboard in Lander on PlugShare (along with that beautiful Model X with the crazy wingspan) unfortunately my Model S only has a single on-board charger and I'm not sure it's worth it to pay $2000 to bump up to 80 Amps. Most of the destination chargers in NYC are 208 V x 40 Amps, and those are the very best ones. As I type this my car is presently charging at 205 V x 24 Amps, or 15 miles per hour. (sucks) so 80 Amps charging capability would have little impact on my daily life -- although it would be useful for my proposed trip to Yellowstone.

BTW it would be great if the Plugshare info for these chargers could be updated to reflect that it is an 80 Amp J1772 plug, when I 1st came a cross it i assumed it maxed out at 24 Amps, which is why I would prefer a NEMA 14-50 hookup at a KOA.

I think it's fairly obvious that Tesla is working to add a number of chargers in this section of I-80, but it's hard for us to find them at this stage. If it's anything like Nebraska, we'll see several come online at about the same time.

That's my new Model X at the Breadboard in Lander and Riverton. Pacific Corp has a good sized grant from the department of energy for adding a lot more charging infrastructure on the interstates in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. I've been talking with them about adding some level 3 to the locations I have leases at. In this order I should be adding Level 2 with options of adding level 3 later in Dubois, Rawlins, Cody, Alpine and Fort Collins. Things are looking good for Thermopolis, Laramie and Casper too. Need some leads on locations interested in hosting chargers in Evanston, Farson and Rocksprings.

I feel like whenever you wash your car then it rains. I'm starting to put in some high speed charging and Tesla starts to get serious about adding stations in Wyoming, go figure. I waited 3 years of being told they would be installed in a few months before I starting to do it myself. At least I'll have my stations ready for Bolt's other EV's and when the Superchargers are full. More EV's and charging options the better I always say.

That's my new Model X at the Breadboard in Lander and Riverton. Pacific Corp has a good sized grant from the department of energy for adding a lot more charging infrastructure on the interstates in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. I've been talking with them about adding some level 3 to the locations I have leases at. In this order I should be adding Level 2 with options of adding level 3 later in Dubois, Rawlins, Cody, Alpine and Fort Collins. Things are looking good for Thermopolis, Laramie and Casper too. Need some leads on locations interested in hosting chargers in Evanston, Farson and Rocksprings.

I feel like whenever you wash your car then it rains. I'm starting to put in some high speed charging and Tesla starts to get serious about adding stations in Wyoming, go figure. I waited 3 years of being told they would be installed in a few months before I starting to do it myself. At least I'll have my stations ready for Bolt's other EV's and when the Superchargers are full. More EV's and charging options the better I always say.
I totally agree. I've made several trips from SLC to Boise where the SuperCharger network is already "complete". I can't go the 80mph limit between Tremonton and Twin Falls, and I'd love to be able to make a detour to make some visits halfway between Twin Falls and Boise. Those two stretches are pretty barren for charging. MAYBE you could find an RV park. More charging availability on these corridors would definitely improve flexibility, and reduce anxiety.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere 13 weeks is expedited while 26 weeks is standard time from start to finish. I keep watching for other locations on 80. And not sure if could make it from here to Jackson. How much does AC impact range. Don't ranges increase in summer over published range for battery