Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rockford, IL - McFarland Rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, this appears to be an installation using two of the new Pre-fabricated SuC modules. I see no other reason for keeping the Charge cabinets separated.

@MarcoRP @mociaf9 Tesla's find us map shows Rochelle, IL Q4-2021. Any chance either of you dig into permitting for a location? 1st. option, If I had to guess, would be in the area of I-39 and IL-38 lots of service facilities there. Option 2 would be I-88 & IL-251 (Love's)

Reactions: EV3_
Current Rockford supercharger is old and can be very busy, so this is good news. Is this being installed at Woodman’s?

Not only that, the Schaumburg Tesla store had been parking 2 test drive cars in front of stalls basically making it a 6 stall location. Not sure if they are done with that or not, havent seen them the last two stops. Looking forward to using this site more.

I took this photo on Wednesday morning. Counted a total of 12 charger stations with 4 utility cabinets. Comed was there with heavy equipment working across the street at the former Gander Mountain building. It looks like these Superchargers connect under McFarland Road to that building. Hearing about Tesla's plans to open the Rockford sales and service shop here is one of the reasons I placed my order last May. Before that, I had a Ford Mustang Mach-e GT reserved. I live about 10 minutes away from this Woodman's and shop there weekly.

Attachments

• Tesla-Superchargers-Woodmans-RKFD.jpg
    Tesla-Superchargers-Woodmans-RKFD.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 216
Something happened with the Gander Mountain because the news just announced that a Goodwill was going in that location.

Yeah who knows what happened. They probably wanted way to much for the building. The only downside to the new chargers at woodmans are the tolls. However, the new 250kw speed and 12 stalls will be far superior then the location by the mall.

Yeah who knows what happened. They probably wanted way to much for the building. The only downside to the new chargers at woodmans are the tolls. However, the new 250kw speed and 12 stalls will be far superior then the location by the mall.
They probably found out what the property taxes are for that location. And City of Rockford is a joy to work with as a business /s. We have some of the highest property taxes in the USA. That is why Costco built in Loves Park a couple years ago and snubbed Rockford.

Last edited:
Reactions: josh62294
My new Model S has arrived at the delivery center in Schaumburg. I was sent a text today where they offered to change my appointment and pick it up early. So moved my appointment up to Thursday (tomorrow). This was also the first time I was able to talk with someone in the Schaumburg office who seemed to be knowledgable about their operations.

I asked about the fate of the Rockford Tesla location in the Gander Mountain building. He said they had decided there was not enough demand for Rockford and changed their focus to opening the Libertyville location this year (which is also close to the Wisconsin border). ☹

• Informative
Reactions: jgillispie
Brought my new Model S home tonight. Only had a 35% charge when I arrived in Rockford. Plugged in my wall connector. It reported about 4 hours and 30 minutes at 48 amps required to charge up to 90%. I dropped the charge max level to 80% which might help the battery longevity. It has been charging so far for about 2 hours. The conduit is still cold. The flexible cable from the Wall Connector to the car is slightly warm. I'm calling my Wall Connector install a success!

Ooops. Sorry, I meant to post this in the Wall Connector install thread.

But now that I have my new Tesla, I'll check out the new Woodman's Supercharger location and report back here when I find it operating.

Last edited:
Brought my new Model S home tonight. Only had a 35% charge when I arrived in Rockford. Plugged in my wall connector. It reported about 4 hours and 30 minutes at 48 amps required to charge up to 90%. I dropped the charge max level to 80% which might help the battery longevity. It has been charging so far for about 2 hours. The conduit is still cold. The flexible cable from the Wall Connector to the car is slightly warm. I'm calling my Wall Connector install a success!
Welcome to the Tesla family!