Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rocklin, CA (Tesla Service Center, 18 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know why the Rocklin SC is showing as “reduced service?” We’re coming there later and I like this over the Roseville SC. Thanks

Attachments

• 9784C255-F23D-49AF-8960-05A33F8C7A2E.jpeg
    9784C255-F23D-49AF-8960-05A33F8C7A2E.jpeg
    735.6 KB · Views: 81
Yesterday, this site was reducing our ability to charge beyond 80%. Maybe it has been that way for awhile; I don't know. I really needed more energy to make sure I could reach a supercharger in Truckee, especially since we were dead in traffic for over 3 hours due to some people not knowing how to drive and crash all over I80 thus closing it.

Yea, yea, I know what you are going to suggest..... bypass the 80% limit by resetting the charge level. Nope, didn't work in this case. Never had this issue anywhere else and not at this location in the past, so it was puzzling.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Yesterday, this site was reducing our ability to charge beyond 80%. Maybe it has been that way for awhile; I don't know. I really needed more energy to make sure I could reach a supercharger in Truckee, especially since we were dead in traffic for over 3 hours due to some people not knowing how to drive and crash all over I80 thus closing it.

Yea, yea, I know what you are going to suggest..... bypass the 80% limit by resetting the charge level. Nope, didn't work in this case. Never had this issue anywhere else and not at this location in the past, so it was puzzling.
I just charged there a few hours ago. Station set me to 80% but I had no problem changing it to 90% with the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom

But we’re you able to make it to Truckee on the 80% SOC?

Loomis ? Also gets my vote for closest charger to a freeway.

I usually charge to about 200 miles of rated range, and I get to Truckee with 40 to 60 miles of range, depending on speed and weather. I also have a bike on the bike ra

I usually charge to about 200 miles of rated range, and I get to Truckee with 40 to 60 miles of range, depending on speed and weather. I also have a bike on the bike rack.
That sounds about right. Our issue was towing about 900 pounds of extra weight in 105 degree heat up that 7,200 foot grade to the top. I wasn't expecting this SC to force limit my charge to 80%. On previous trips I was able to charge to 90%.

Key piece of information!

Your experience is unlikely to be duplicated by most Tesla owners. And like a previous poster said, you can just override the charge limit and bump it up to 90% or 100%.
right. On most trips we are not carrying any extra weight and we are fine with an 80% charge at that location. As fate happened, they limited us at 80% without ability to increase it, at just the time we needed it most. We had not ability to increase above 80% on this trip at that location and that was the main point of my post. People charging there may want to keep that in mind in case they get limited like us and another owner we asked.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Mom and FlyF4
right. On most trips we are not carrying any extra weight and we are fine with an 80% charge at that location. As fate happened, they limited us at 80% without ability to increase it, at just the time we needed it most. We had not ability to increase above 80% on this trip at that location and that was the main point of my post. People charging there may want to keep that in mind in case they get limited like us and another owner we asked.
You've said this multiple times, but I am left thinking that you just failed to try to increase the limit correctly. It makes no sense that Tesla would set a hard limit, and I've never seen anything to indicate they would. I've always been able to increase an 80% limit to whatever level I want after it was initially set. And I'm including specifically Rocklin on my way up to Tahoe, which I've used many times over many years.

So how exactly did you determine that you couldn't increase the limit? Did you go so far as to call roadside assistance and complain about the problem? Did you try changing to a different stall? Did you unplug and plug back in? What even made you think you couldn't set it to 100%?

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom and mspohr
I can also say that I have a few times now got hit with the 80% limit and proceeded to override it manually. The last time was just yesterday at the Kettleman location in the afternoon where only 3 stalls were available out of 40 when I arrived. I am looking forward to the expansion site at Kettleman City as this is still a popular charging destination for 5 freeway.

You've said this multiple times, but I am left thinking that you just failed to try to increase the limit correctly. It makes no sense that Tesla would set a hard limit, and I've never seen anything to indicate they would. I've always been able to increase an 80% limit to whatever level I want after it was initially set. And I'm including specifically Rocklin on my way up to Tahoe, which I've used many times over many years.

So how exactly did you determine that you couldn't increase the limit? Did you go so far as to call roadside assistance and complain about the problem? Did you try changing to a different stall? Did you unplug and plug back in? What even made you think you couldn't set it to 100%?
Agree with all this. I strongly suspect user error since this is the one and only time I have heard of someone not being able to override it.

You've said this multiple times, but I am left thinking that you just failed to try to increase the limit correctly.
Well I have tried to clarify multiple times as people keep asking, yet they keep thinking I don't know how this works. I understand it completely. I have been involved in the past to work with installation of superchargers as a consultant. I totally understand the process. Been using these locations for 4 years. I am telling you for certain that this location limited the car to 80% without the ability to bypass it in the normal way. The next stop at the top of the hill, I had no issue going to 90%

So I actually agree, it does not make any sense. This was the ONLY time I had an issue at this location. No need to try another stall as another person in an "S" was having the issue. When I saw it happening, I went around to ask other drivers and there was another person also being limited. I went to their car to attempt to reset the limit and was not accepted.

Next trip out to the factory I plan to ask about that issue. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, it doesn't mean the issue was with our cars. :) Somehow a couple of folks here just don't believe it. As I said, in the past, I have always been able to set the limit above 80% after the SC initially sets it to 80%. I make this trip twice a month down to the Fremont plant, so it was a surprise when it happened. User error, sure, right. I've said enough. Some people just don't think others know what they are talking about. ;)

Well I have tried to clarify multiple times as people keep asking, yet they keep thinking I don't know how this works. I understand it completely. I have been involved in the past to work with installation of superchargers as a consultant. I totally understand the process. Been using these locations for 4 years. I am telling you for certain that this location limited the car to 80% without the ability to bypass it in the normal way. The next stop at the top of the hill, I had no issue going to 90%

So I actually agree, it does not make any sense. This was the ONLY time I had an issue at this location. No need to try another stall as another person in an "S" was having the issue. When I saw it happening, I went around to ask other drivers and there was another person also being limited. I went to their car to attempt to reset the limit and was not accepted.

Next trip out to the factory I plan to ask about that issue. Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, it doesn't mean the issue was with our cars. :) Somehow a couple of folks here just don't believe it. As I said, in the past, I have always been able to set the limit above 80% after the SC initially sets it to 80%. I make this trip twice a month down to the Fremont plant, so it was a surprise when it happened. User error, sure, right. I've said enough. Some people just don't think others know what they are talking about. ;)

So, did you try to move the charge limit above 80%? :)

Speaking just as a normal TMC member and not as a moderator...

If @Silicon Desert was a brand new Tesla owner who'd never Supercharged before, I might be joining the "user error" chorus. But he's been around TMC awhile and it sounds like he has more than a bit of experience using Superchargers. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, even though I have never had resetting the charging limit fail (at Rocklin or anywhere else), nor have I heard of this before.

Bruce.