Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rolling Meadows, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...you want it to not be until next year?? o_O:D

Well no, I’m saying the article seems to imply that it won’t be active until end of this year based on the wording used. They didn’t say it will be active next week or next month or tomorrow.

And so I’m hoping that is not true because it would be great for it to go live sometime soon.

Surprised it is taking this long. It looked "done" when I went by there in early September. Hope it's ready by the Christmas season when I'm back visiting family living nearby. My guess is that it's waiting on some utility inspection/certification or perhaps utility account setup before they'll energize.

Reactions: Bebop
Surprised it is taking this long. It looked "done" when I went by there in early September. Hope it's ready by the Christmas season when I'm back visiting family living nearby. My guess is that it's waiting on some utility inspection/certification or perhaps utility account setup before they'll energize.
dailydriver already said what's holding it up. ComEd has to do some work on their end to support service to the site and is short on crews at the moment. Everything at the actual site appears finished.

dailydriver already said what's holding it up. ComEd has to do some work on their end to support service to the site and is short on crews at the moment. Everything at the actual site appears finished.

While I didn't look too closely, all of the utility infrastructure appeared to be in place (I have 36 years in the electric utility sector and am quite familiar with what's involved in a service connection like this). I didn't check to see if the transformer primary connections had been made, but typically that is done when the utility transformer is placed. Someone also reported the meter was installed and that is usually one of the last steps. Now maybe there is some primary infrastructure work required upstream, but IMHO, that is very unlikely for a service such as this, and that's the only thing that would require line crews. In Ontario, Canada we require an electrical safety inspection by an independent inspection authority and can't energize until we have that "permit". Process is likely different in Illinois, but there could be some similar inspection/certification step that has to occur.

Maybe someone could stop by and see if the meter is "on". It is likely an electronic meter and you would be able to see if the LCD display is on. (The meter will be on even if the main disconnect to the Supercharging equipment is locked off if the site has power).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Acps110 and Bebop
While I didn't look too closely, all of the utility infrastructure appeared to be in place (I have 36 years in the electric utility sector and am quite familiar with what's involved in a service connection like this). I didn't check to see if the transformer primary connections had been made, but typically that is done when the utility transformer is placed. Someone also reported the meter was installed and that is usually one of the last steps. Now maybe there is some primary infrastructure work required upstream, but IMHO, that is very unlikely for a service such as this, and that's the only thing that would require line crews. In Ontario, Canada we require an electrical safety inspection by an independent inspection authority and can't energize until we have that "permit". Process is likely different in Illinois, but there could be some similar inspection/certification step that has to occur.

Maybe someone could stop by and see if the meter is "on". It is likely an electronic meter and you would be able to see if the LCD display is on. (The meter will be on even if the main disconnect to the Supercharging equipment is locked off if the site has power).

I'm coming up Sunday and plan on driving by to check it out. It will be the closest SC for me to use while I'm in temporary housing with no home connection.

I'm not arguing that the site is unfinished, but dailydriver's comment implied he talked to someone or heard something. And since the site is still not energized or listed on Tesla's maps, I have no reason to doubt him. But you're right, it would be interesting to see if the next person to stop by could check the meter.

I just drove by there. The meter is blank (assuming no power to it). However, there are 2 unmanned ComEd trucks parked there. A work truck and a pickup truck. 20171015_150659.jpg 20171015_150718.jpg

Home stretch here, folks. Just went by and spoke to an electrical installer who said he was waiting for a City inspector to sign off.

Com Ed done with their work (had to upgrade fuses in the electrical loop this station is on) and the meter is energized.

Tesla still has to come in and do a final test and sign off, but that should be happening very soon. Should be live in the next few days !