Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Roseville, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost there. Need a meter.

Attachments

• 20171119_174954.jpg
    20171119_174954.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20171119_175035.jpg
    20171119_175035.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20171119_175010.jpg
    20171119_175010.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 113
That's a good point... I'm not certain this one is ready for prime time just yet...

However, the stalls are numbered and lit up.
upload_2017-11-23_12-26-52.png

My car is plugged in and charging...
upload_2017-11-23_12-27-30.png

But the meter is still reading all zeroes... So...be wary, as Tom states, till they officially green light this one.
upload_2017-11-23_12-28-27.png

Reactions: Lamb11rl
There are many factors that play a role in how fast your car will charge. The two main ones though are going to be the current state of charge that you have...and the other is the temperature of the battery. A cold battery will charge slower. A battery that is almost full will charge slower.

Tesla Superchargers can output 135Kw, but I think I've only seen about 110-115 at the most in my car when I've arrived at a SC after driving a couple hours (and therefore being rather low on range). The battery starts to taper off the charge as it gets closer to being full. Think of it like filling up a glass of water at the sink that you cannot spill. At first you can turn the water on full blast...but as the glass gets closer to being full you have to slow things down to keep it from spilling over. The same applies to the car, they have to slow down the charge rate as your battery gets closer to being full.

A cold battery must first heat up before it can take full power...so if your battery was cold then that would also explain why you could be seeing a lower charge rate. That's why it's always a good tip to Supercharge at night when you arrive (mostly in winter) at your destination instead of waiting till the morning.

The other factor that comes in to play is if you and another Tesla are sharing the same "charger" in the cabinet. Which you would know based on the numbers on the stalls. Two cars parked next to one another could be sharing the 135Kw, but if one of you moves one spot over you could each have the full 135 to yourself.

Now...having said all of that...when I was there with my car I felt it was going a little slower than usual as well. I noticed that the meter was not counting up at all. So this thing may only be putting out half power right now....but that's just a feeling I had...no data to back that up.

Thanks! Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I was at about 45% charge and was thinking it’d be higher. It went down to about 50 when it got to 80%. Battery should have been warm as I was driving it for about an hour before that. I had an older woman swing by and asked if her grandson could take a look at my Tesla. I let him sit in it and his face was priceless. Defitenly an awesome feeling seeing a kid that excited about a car!

There are many factors that play a role in how fast your car will charge. The two main ones though are going to be the current state of charge that you have...and the other is the temperature of the battery. A cold battery will charge slower. A battery that is almost full will charge slower.

Tesla Superchargers can output 135Kw, but I think I've only seen about 110-115 at the most in my car when I've arrived at a SC after driving a couple hours (and therefore being rather low on range). The battery starts to taper off the charge as it gets closer to being full. Think of it like filling up a glass of water at the sink that you cannot spill. At first you can turn the water on full blast...but as the glass gets closer to being full you have to slow things down to keep it from spilling over. The same applies to the car, they have to slow down the charge rate as your battery gets closer to being full.

A cold battery must first heat up before it can take full power...so if your battery was cold then that would also explain why you could be seeing a lower charge rate. That's why it's always a good tip to Supercharge at night when you arrive (mostly in winter) at your destination instead of waiting till the morning.

The other factor that comes in to play is if you and another Tesla are sharing the same "charger" in the cabinet. Which you would know based on the numbers on the stalls. Two cars parked next to one another could be sharing the 135Kw, but if one of you moves one spot over you could each have the full 135 to yourself.

Now...having said all of that...when I was there with my car I felt it was going a little slower than usual as well. I noticed that the meter was not counting up at all. So this thing may only be putting out half power right now....but that's just a feeling I had...no data to back that up.

The max per supercharger cabinet is 145kW, that feeds two stalls. The max per car is 120kW. (most I've seen is 118kW). Point is, if you roll in with 1 mile remaining, and plug in, you get up to 120kW max. (Unless you have a "A" pack, or a 75/70/60 pack. Those have a lower max charge rate)

If a second person pulls in and plugs into your paired stall, they get the leftovers, you don't lose anything in charge rate. So if you both plug in close together, whoever is first gets 120kW, who ever is second will only get the 25kW leftovers. As first car tapers down, second will see a increase in charge rate until you both hit parity.

Source: It's pretty much always been this way. This exact example happened to me in Barstow 2 weeks ago. Re-affirming that it's still what happens when two nearly empty cars plug in to a paired set of stalls 20 seconds apart. I got 116kW on 2A, and moments later when he plugged into 2B I had next to no change in charge rate, but he was only getting about 30kW. As I filled up and tapered, he increased in charge rate.

Explained above is exactly how they are supposed to work. Great explanation. Anomalies will happen in the future as they do with almost all superchargers or power systems. When in doubt try another stall.

The dilemma many sites are seeing with overall reduced charge rates (even when using unpaired stalls) throws even more confusion about how supercharging is supposed to work to new owners. The way I described it above is how it should work ON PAPER... Sadly there's a ton of factors that influence how fast you charge. Pack temp, pack state of charge when you plug in, paired stalls, grid needs, worn handles that are overheating and triggering a reduction for safety, & more..

The max per supercharger cabinet is 145kW, that feeds two stalls. The max per car is 120kW. (most I've seen is 118kW). Point is, if you roll in with 1 mile remaining, and plug in, you get up to 120kW max. (Unless you have a "A" pack, or a 75/70/60 pack. Those have a lower max charge rate
The charging rate is an S-curve that is flat at *both* ends - if you roll in with just 1 mile left, it’ll take a bit for the battery to start ramping up the rate.

Saw this in Denton, TX last year when a fellow pulled into the SC with 2 miles left. He was only getting around a 10-20 mph charging rate, and was furiously panicking about it (damn company car, had to get to an appointment, etc) and jumping from plug to plug trying to “get it working”. Pairing wasn’t the issue - he didn’t get to my charger’s twin. Once the car got up to 10-15 miles his charging rate ramped quickly.

The charging rate is an S-curve that is flat at *both* ends - if you roll in with just 1 mile left, it’ll take a bit for the battery to start ramping up the rate.

Saw this in Denton, TX last year when a fellow pulled into the SC with 2 miles left. He was only getting around a 10-20 mph charging rate, and was furiously panicking about it (damn company car, had to get to an appointment, etc) and jumping from plug to plug trying to “get it working”. Pairing wasn’t the issue - he didn’t get to my charger’s twin. Once the car got up to 10-15 miles his charging rate ramped quickly.
We are super off topic for this thread, but yea, you are right. Here's a tale of two supercharges: Right when I first got my car a little over a year ago I got to a supercharger with 0 miles on purpose. Plugged in and it instantly charged at full rate with proper taper all the way to 100% (about 80 degrees out, warm battery, older 6.x software).

Then a few months ago I did the same thing, although this time not on purpose. Plugged in with 0 rated miles, but this time it took about 15 minutes for supercharging to start. At first it just trickled in at about 1,500 watts until the pack voltage hit a certain threshold and then -whoosh, off it went at full speed.

• Informative
Reactions: snellenr