Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Rowland Heights, CA (LIVE 7 Nov 2020, 8 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw some chargers here at Puente Hills Mall 1600 S Azusa Ave. City of Industry 91748 (Macys parking lot area just diagonal from where Souplantation was). Looks like 8 urban chargers from what I could tell. Still under construction.

Attachments

• received_1785913621576624.jpeg
    received_1785913621576624.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 265
I don't think it looks temporary. I think it's just a different installation type.
At least on the forums, that arrangement of chargers with one cabinet and three Urban pedestals attached to a metal skid is called a "temporary Supercharger" installation. They are frequently deployed ahead of high demand periods when there is no time to permanently expand a site or bring up a nearby site to expand charging capacity in the area. They are later removed and deployed to other sites once the permanent expansion is completed.

This is the first time I recall an entire site being installed with this "temporary" equipment.

There’s some hidden irony in that location. I grew up there, and know the site quite well. One of it’s few claims to fame is that specific part of the mall parking lot was used in filming “Back to the Future.” Specifically, the scene where Marty escapes from the terrorists by driving the Delorean.

Somehow it seems fitting that we can charge of the car of the future at the site of “Back to the Future.”

There’s some hidden irony in that location. I grew up there, and know the site quite well. One of it’s few claims to fame is that specific part of the mall parking lot was used in filming “Back to the Future.” Specifically, the scene where Marty escapes from the terrorists by driving the Delorean.

Somehow it seems fitting that we can charge of the car of the future at the site of “Back to the Future.”
Cool. So where’s Hill Valley then?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
This is the first time I recall an entire site being installed with this "temporary" equipment.
I think the first Icelandic supercharger was done this way with just a more "permanent" install of one of the temporary supercharger pallets. But I don't recall anything similar in the US. The closest I can think of would probably be San Marcos, TX during its expansion. IIRC, there they closed all the existing superchargers and set up a new "second" supercharger near by with just the mobile pallets for a time. While it wasn't a permanent fixture, during the expansion period it was a supercharger that was entirely served by the pallet based units. But that clearly wasn't a de novo installation like this one.

Maybe Tesla is doing it this way because they wanted to have something guaranteed to be done and ready in time for the holiday travel season. And they'll go back and build a full, permanent supercharger there after new years. ??? Guess we'll have to wait and see. Regardless, it's nice that there's finally something along one of the main east-west freeways (10, 210, or 60) between LA and the Inland Empire.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
This Supercharger station show up on Tesla map now. The location name should change to Rowland Heights.

Changed the location name the thread title, @MarcoRP may want to do the same for supercharge.info.

Anyone up for posting a picture of their car actually charging here? (Libyan terrorists optional.)

Thanks,

Bruce.

What kind of real world speeds are people seeing here? >50kw? I realize the nav states 72kw max but often when these "temp" stalls are deployed, they appear to be limited in their delivery.

I got full 72kw..interesting this setup looks permanent ..unlike other temp installs I have seen there wasn’t any visible cable running to the transformer ..