Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Saco, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
A new 8 stall supercharger is coming to the Hannaford supermarket located at 532 Main St, Saco, ME. Permit 9294 has already been issued for the cement pad to hold the switchgear and/or transformer. I believe this will use pre-fab superchargers so the installation will go quickly when it pops to the top of the queue.

@tes-s @MarcoRP @corywright

Saco isn't particularly helpful, there are Superchargers at the Kennebunk service plazas and in Portland. I really wish they would concentrate on Route 1. We are going to Camden tomorrow and I hate having to stop at Freeport, that's the worst location in New England. Camden has been delayed until next year, I wish they would bring it in or at least put something along the way at Bath, Wiscasset or Damariscotta.

Reactions: jlv1 and kayak1
I can't argue with that logic.

The supercharger network buildout is almost certainly a balance between Tesla wanting to fill in holes, and partner / unpartnered locations vying for superchargers at their establishments. I'm not saying Saco is or isn't a partner-initiated location. Hannaford is partnering with Tesla for supercharger sites though.

Also, just because Camden's target completion was pushed out to 2023 doesn't mean it couldn't still happen this year. The target date is about when Tesla thinks a site will be construction-ready (local government approval and lease agreements complete for example) and have a contractor assignable to do the job. There quite likely are construction-ready sites on the map now with a 2023 target dates that could get an early contractor assignment and begin construction at any time. And as we've also seen, there are a bunch of locations not on the coming soon map that are being built, and a bunch more known and not yet known that are in planning. Who knows if or when the coming soon map will be updated to include some or all of those. My guess is Tesla at some point will add more coming soon locations that they are selecting to fill in the holes - and leave partner-initiated locations mostly off and under the radar. Just a guess....

Tesla had a plan under development for Camden, but withdrew for reasons unknown before beginning the approval process. My best guess is Tesla realized they had too many sites lined up within range of existing construction teams and logistically Camden would slow down overall site development more than could be justified. I think a plan still needs to be submitted to Camden for review and approval before anything could be scheduled - probably a stretch for this year to do it in the chilly late fall/early winter.

Saco, ME

Host Type: Supermarket
Host: Hannaford
Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-1
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-195N

I-95

To: Portland, ME - 16.1 miles
Diversion: 3.5 miles
To: Freeport, ME (I-295) - 33.4 miles
To: Falmouth, ME (Permit) - 18.7 miles

US-1

To: Portland, ME - 15.2 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Freeport, ME - 31.5 miles

New v3 on I-95 and US-1. Alternative to hitting the I-95 Turnpike for v2 Kennebunk Service Plaza for people otherwise taking US-1.

Also serves the Biddeford/Saco/Old Orchard Beach area, which is a vacation and day trip destination, and has some condo development.

Reactions: Kewmpie1
I can't argue with that logic.

The supercharger network buildout is almost certainly a balance between Tesla wanting to fill in holes, and partner / unpartnered locations vying for superchargers at their establishments. I'm not saying Saco is or isn't a partner-initiated location. Hannaford is partnering with Tesla for supercharger sites though.

Also, just because Camden's target completion was pushed out to 2023 doesn't mean it couldn't still happen this year. The target date is about when Tesla thinks a site will be construction-ready (local government approval and lease agreements complete for example) and have a contractor assignable to do the job. There quite likely are construction-ready sites on the map now with a 2023 target dates that could get an early contractor assignment and begin construction at any time. And as we've also seen, there are a bunch of locations not on the coming soon map that are being built, and a bunch more known and not yet known that are in planning. Who knows if or when the coming soon map will be updated to include some or all of those. My guess is Tesla at some point will add more coming soon locations that they are selecting to fill in the holes - and leave partner-initiated locations mostly off and under the radar. Just a guess....

Tesla had a plan under development for Camden, but withdrew for reasons unknown before beginning the approval process. My best guess is Tesla realized they had too many sites lined up within range of existing construction teams and logistically Camden would slow down overall site development more than could be justified. I think a plan still needs to be submitted to Camden for review and approval before anything could be scheduled - probably a stretch for this year to do it in the chilly late fall/early winter.
I went to Camden yesterday. There is a Hannaford right at the border of Camden, it would be a perfect location for a Supercharger and I'd lay money on this being the site when they finally do it. I don't object to a Supercharger in Saco, if the pandemic dies down a bit there is a great restaurant in Biddeford, Elda, that we want to go back to and when we do if there is a Supercharger in Saco then we'll use it but it doesn't make life any easier. The Falmouth Supercharger will slightly improve the experience traveling North on Route 1, it might be a little more convenient that Portland but more importantly as a new station it will be V3 rather than V2, Portland, Kennebunk and the execrable Freeport locations are all V2.

I just wish they would prioritize filling in the map rather than saturating areas with existing Superchargers just because they are easier. In an ideal world you would be able to go anywhere without having to plan your stops. We aren't that far from that if they would just fill the map in, put some on Route 1 in Maine and Route 2 in Western Mass and we would be there.

I went to Camden yesterday. There is a Hannaford right at the border of Camden, it would be a perfect location for a Supercharger and I'd lay money on this being the site when they finally do it. I don't object to a Supercharger in Saco, if the pandemic dies down a bit there is a great restaurant in Biddeford, Elda, that we want to go back to and when we do if there is a Supercharger in Saco then we'll use it but it doesn't make life any easier. The Falmouth Supercharger will slightly improve the experience traveling North on Route 1, it might be a little more convenient that Portland but more importantly as a new station it will be V3 rather than V2, Portland, Kennebunk and the execrable Freeport locations are all V2.

I just wish they would prioritize filling in the map rather than saturating areas with existing Superchargers just because they are easier. In an ideal world you would be able to go anywhere without having to plan your stops. We aren't that far from that if they would just fill the map in, put some on Route 1 in Maine and Route 2 in Western Mass and we would be there.
The Camden Hannaford has a J1772 that I have used once, my Leaf didn't have the range left to get home.

I think that it would be an excellent location.

Upgrading the busy V2 locations to V3 would save the issues with sharing stalls, that said I do agree it would be nice if priority could be given to expanding locations that we can drive and DC fast charge.

I think it's highly likely that the Camden Hannaford is where the supercharger will eventually be built - unless a different partner in the area offers Tesla more favorable terms. Just a question of when.

Regarding V3 expansion for existing sites - it's happening, but at a slower pace. Brattleboro, VT being the first in the region last year. I would expect to see more V3 expansions at existing sites this year too, but not at the same pace we're seeing new site development.

Saco isn't particularly helpful... I wish they would bring it in or at least put something along the way at Bath, Wiscasset or Damariscotta.
I glanced at the map, the Saco location is 10 minutes from Old Orchard Beach. I expect it will be popular.

We're going to Mt Desert this summer, and have family on Georgetown Island - so YES to Camden, Bath, Wiscasset, etc. as soon as Tesla can get there. But I kind of get Saco, too.

Belfast Hannaford is getting DCFCs. Tesla will probably add to that location eventually. Meanwhile Camden helps keep travelers on more of Rt 1.

Saco will help Canadian tourists hrading to OOB area.

Maine’s DCFC plan could really get a huge leg up if even one Tesla pedestal adds J cables so I hope we see that happen where Superchargers already exist without other fast chargers.

Reactions: Tdreamer
Belfast Hannaford is getting DCFCs. Tesla will probably add to that location eventually. Meanwhile Camden helps keep travelers on more of Rt 1.

Saco will help Canadian tourists hrading to OOB area.

Maine’s DCFC plan could really get a huge leg up if even one Tesla pedestal adds J cables so I hope we see that happen where Superchargers already exist without other fast chargers.
are you talking about adding CCIS Cables?

I glanced at the map, the Saco location is 10 minutes from Old Orchard Beach. I expect it will be popular.

We're going to Mt Desert this summer, and have family on Georgetown Island - so YES to Camden, Bath, Wiscasset, etc. as soon as Tesla can get there. But I kind of get Saco, too.
Getting to Mt. Desert is easy now with the new charger in Ellsworth. With a slight detour one could charge in Brewer, too.

I hope Tesla does NOT put a SC in Wiscasset. It is already a bloody mess of a traffic jam, although the new plan in downtown helps a little (too cheap/too little). When going to Rockport/Camden, I usually take the more miles/less time route via Rt 17 in the summer. Skips the Brunswick traffic, too.

Reactions: EbS-P
Getting to Mt. Desert is easy now with the new charger in Ellsworth. With a slight detour one could charge in Brewer, too.

I hope Tesla does NOT put a SC in Wiscasset. It is already a bloody mess of a traffic jam, although the new plan in downtown helps a little (too cheap/too little). When going to Rockport/Camden, I usually take the more miles/less time route via Rt 17 in the summer. Skips the Brunswick traffic, too.
Adding one to the Wiscasset Irving would be a great addition.

We're going up in August, I'm looking forward to Ellsworth.

I hope Tesla does NOT put a SC in Wiscasset. It is already a bloody mess of a traffic jam...

Well that's true. But we aim for lunch at Wiscasset - at Sprague's right by the bridge. I stood in line for the world-famous Red's lobster roll just once and was disappointed in the experience. Over an hour in line, blew the schedule to hell, had to eat in the car, lobster roll was quantity over quality. Sprague's I can get in & out (even with the minimal parking) AND eat on the dock AND get a picture of my daughter in the fish-shaped adirondack chair in far less time... charging the car as well as the people would be icing on the cake.

Let's talk lobster rolls. Red's really does have the best conventional lobster roll, I thought it was just because they don't gunk it up with mayo. You get the butter and mayo on the side. There must more to it than that however. A few weeks ago we went to Bounts Clam Shack in Warren RI. They also serve a huge lobster roll without mayo, but it just isn't as good as Red's, I'm thinking Red's lobster meat is fresher. At Spragues we get lobsters not lobster rolls.

The absolute best lobster roll is the warm butter lobster roll at Eventide in Portland. It's a miniature roll but it's vastly more flavorful then any conventional roll. We usually get a dozen oysters and rolls at Eventide. They also have an hour or more wait. What we've done is I drop my girlfriend off at Eventide to wait in line while I go to the Portland Supercharger, I charge and come back and they're ready for us.

• Informative
Reactions: dhkaufman