Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sacramento, CA (LIVE 13 Oct 2017)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just searching for Tesla in Sacramento, CA City of Sacramento, California, USA - Municipal Government
(follow link to "Search Permits or Submittals / Pay Fees", the select "Planning" tab,
in the "Record Number:" put DR17-143, and click "Search")
Application DR17-143
Record Status: Approved
Work Location

3668 N FREEWAY BLVD
SACRAMENTO CA 95834

Application Details
Project Description:

Tesla Charging Stations in the Promenade Shopping Center
A request for Site Plan Review for the installation of 10 electric vehicle charging stations and associated appurtenances. Staff level Site Plan Review with Public Works Minor Project Review is requested.

Seems to have been submitted April 11th, and was marked as approved on May 5th.

3668 N FREEWAY BLVD
SACRAMENTO CA 95834

According to the Sacramento County Assessor's Parcel Viewer map (Assessor Parcel Viewer, Sacramento County, California, USA), the address 3668 N Freeway Blvd refers to the small park in front of BevMo (one of four addresses corresponding to different parts of parcel 225-2110-034-0000 as listed on the permit). My best guess for exact location of the chargers would be 38.637731, -121.497188, as the other spaces adjacent to the park appear to actually be on a different parcel. Though the address may be more approximate and it could easily be elsewhere on the parcel, like along the north edges of the lot.

Interesting location. There's already Roseville and Rocklin on I-80 further north so this seems kind of redundant. Thought the plan was for more urban location. Something closer to the I-5 / Business 80 / Hwy 50 / Hwy 99 interchanges would benefit more people I think.

Interesting location. There's already Roseville and Rocklin on I-80 further north so this seems kind of redundant. Thought the plan was for more urban location. Something closer to the I-5 / Business 80 / Hwy 50 / Hwy 99 interchanges would benefit more people I think.

Could be _better_ for I-5, but it's all about I-5 in my opinion.

Manteca is a much bigger diversion from I-5 and Manteca, CA - Corning, CA is 175 miles.

Gustine, CA - Sacremento, CA: 117 miles
Sacremento, CA - Corning, CA: 111 miles
This one's a BIG deal for I-5.

Just need one Sacremento, CA and one of the indicated I-5 Seaaaattle area Superchargers to split the 151 mile gap between Centralia, WA and Burlington, WA and I-5 will be covered.

Reactions: gambit48 and McManX
I'm surprised they are only putting in 10 stalls - it seems like pretty much every station in California needs more than that already, and this station will serve two major interstate highways. Still, I'm sure I-5 through traffic will be quite thankful for it.

That is a shitty location. Traffic is horrible there. Getting in and out of that shopping mall is grid lock. Plus you better have a carry permit. Years ago (early 90's) I lived in South Natomas. It was sketchy then and has only gotten worse. There are better locations closer to down town.

Reactions: Ulmo
It is a shorter detour off Interstate 5 (or SR99 if you are coming from Fresno) than Manteca. So, this is a good thing.

In my opinion what makes this more attractive is that for those who are heading to or from Corning, this location essentially splits the difference from Fresno. When I make trips north, I have to stop 110 minutes after leaving home to charge at Manteca to 85% in order to make Corning comfortably. Then, another 3+ hours of driving to reach Corning.

With this new location, the drive will be about 2 3/4 hours from home and another 2 hours to Corning and a shorter time charging--likely 70% instead of 85%.)

But, Woodland would have been nice. . . . :D

(Money, thanks for all your efforts in tying the SC placements to the various highways. But out here in Alta Mexico, our state capital is spelled Sacramento! [only one "e."]:))

I was just searching for Tesla in Sacramento, CA City of Sacramento, California, USA - Municipal Government
(follow link to "Search Permits or Submittals / Pay Fees", the select "Planning" tab,
in the "Record Number:" put DR17-143, and click "Search")
Application DR17-143
Record Status: Approved
Work Location

3668 N FREEWAY BLVD
SACRAMENTO CA 95834

Application Details
Project Description:

Tesla Charging Stations in the Promenade Shopping Center
A request for Site Plan Review for the installation of 10 electric vehicle charging stations and associated appurtenances. Staff level Site Plan Review with Public Works Minor Project Review is requested.

Seems to have been submitted April 11th, and was marked as approved on May 5th.

Thanks--Great info. I would have preferred Interstate 5 near Arena blvd, but this is a decent location for amenities. If you use the other permit address, you will see that it is the row nearest N. Freeway Blvd, and currently has 21 parking spots for possible future expansion. 3678 N FREEWAY BLVD SACRAMENTO CA 95834

Click on the "Attachments" in the permit--great info and location shots

Last edited:
There was an earlier permit (applied date of 3/20/2017):
Permit #: ADR-1700045
Job Adddress: 3678 N FREEWAY BLVD
Work Description:
Tesla Motors is requesting a separate address from the Sacramento Gateway for their charging
stations for the purposes of emergencies and utility coordination.

Thinking that is how they got 3668 N Freeway Blvd. Swung by the area earlier today, did not see any evidence of construction.
And yes the "Attachments" of the building permit has the "Plans" and "Site Photos" along with the "Application".

It is annoying that Manteca and this one are significant diversions from I-5. I had mentioned it somewhere before but I second the idea that Woodland or even Arena blvd would have been obviously better spots. Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers!

It is a shorter detour off Interstate 5 (or SR99 if you are coming from Fresno) than Manteca. So, this is a good thing.

In my opinion what makes this more attractive is that for those who are heading to or from Corning, this location essentially splits the difference from Fresno. When I make trips north, I have to stop 110 minutes after leaving home to charge at Manteca to 85% in order to make Corning comfortably. Then, another 3+ hours of driving to reach Corning.

With this new location, the drive will be about 2 3/4 hours from home and another 2 hours to Corning and a shorter time charging--likely 70% instead of 85%.)

But, Woodland would have been nice. . . . :D

(Money, thanks for all your efforts in tying the SC placements to the various highways. But out here in Alta Mexico, our state capital is spelled Sacramento! [only one "e."]:))

Yes, I realized as I was searching for more stuff that I'd spelled it incorrectly earlier. I don't know what I was thinking.

So, looking at the site photos on the permit application it places it in an area that's a bit of a winding route to which to get.
4.3 mile diversion. Better than Manteca, CA, but far from ideal. But, they want a host site with amenities and this should have them.

Tesla's also planning one in Stockton, CA. If that's also close to I-5, that could be about could be 155-160 miles from Corning, CA which would be a good one for drivers able to skip Superchargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Sacramento, CA

Interstates: I-5, I-80
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): none*

I-5
To: Corning, CA - 111 miles
Diversion: 4.3 miles
To: Mt. Shasta, CA - 218 miles

I-80
To: Roseville, CA - 19.5 miles
Diversion: 2.1 miles
To: Rocklin, CA - 22.7 miles

To: Eureka, CA (I-80,I-5,CA-20,US-101) - 285 miles
To: Ukiah, CA (I-80,I-5,CA-20,US-101) - 144 miles
To: Groveland, CA (I-80,I-5,US-50,CA-99,CA-4,local,CA-E15,CA-120,local,CA-120) - 120 miles
To: Manteca, CA (I-80,I-5,CA-120) - 68.9 miles
To: Folsom, CA (I-80,I-5,US-50) - 26.3 miles

Not needed for I-80 but needed for I-5 since it splits the large 175 mile gap from Manteca, CA to Corning, CA, and is quite nicely spaced from Gustine, CA. (This and Olympica/Seattle/Lynnwood, WA are needed reduce the maximum gap below 150 miles on I-5).

The diversion from I-5 is less than ideal both for distance and traffic, but it's a shorter diversion than Manteca, CA by almost 4 miles. However, for many N-S travelers on I-5 even its diversion might be avoided if Tesla builds a planned Supercharger near I-5 in Stockton, CA this year.

* US-50 is about 7 miles away

This new Supercharger location is going to be well placed for those traveling on I5 through Sacramento, as its just a few minutes away from the 5. And it will help out with busy winter traffic from the Bay Area to North Tahoe.

Yep, I would agree with Fan. This is a nice placement for many Bay Area folks to be able to avoid Roseville/Rocklin if they can leave their homes with a full charge (and they have the larger batteries.)

Choices. Tesla is starting to give us choices. These choices should be able to alleviate some of the pressure at most, if not all, locations on those busy holiday weekends.

It appears to be about 3/4 mile off I5 and another 1/4 mile to meander into the parking lot. The distance that Manteca is from SR99 is about 1 1/2 miles west, then 3/4 mile south, 3/4 mile west again, and about 1/8 mile north. Six plus miles round trip versus two miles.

Could be _better_ for I-5, but it's all about I-5 in my opinion.

Manteca is a much bigger diversion from I-5 and Manteca, CA - Corning, CA is 175 miles.

Gustine, CA - Sacremento, CA: 117 miles
Sacremento, CA - Corning, CA: 111 miles
This one's a BIG deal for I-5.

Just need one Sacremento, CA and one of the indicated I-5 Seaaaattle area Superchargers to split the 151 mile gap between Centralia, WA and Burlington, WA and I-5 will be covered.

Agreed! We need one in Williams or Arbuckle.