Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore Beach, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's obviously PO'd his company ERE Electric in Buzzards Bay didn't get any work from the job.

Edit:

I found "eds" work email and sent him the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed,

I understand there is some issue with the permitting for Tesla's Sagamore SuperCharger site.

I am a Model S owner, and there are many of us interested in getting a resolution to this issue.
What can be done to get sign-off/approval for the work that was done, so that the utility can power up the site?

Thanks,

Mitch
concerned Tesla Model S owner

Last edited:
I sent an email to the entire Board of Selectmen today. I received a response back from Chairman Peter Meier indicating that he will have a memo available on Friday.

In the email chain that he forwarded, it showed that other Board members had also received inquiries from Tesla owners (great job everyone). It also included a note to Ed asking if there was a hold up and requested a synopsis on progress thus far by tomorrow.

Hopefully this gentle push moves things to completion.

Good Evening Selectmen,

As a Tesla owner and a life long resident of Bourne, I wanted to express my displeasure with the seemingly unnecessary delay in the permitting of the Sagamore Supercharging Station.

It was looking like this would be the first site up and running in the Massachusetts; but with at least two other sites under construction, that may no longer be the case. Instead of the ribbon cutting ceremonies we have seen in other states, we are looking at the yellow caution tape that has been blocking the Tesla parking lot for several months.

It is starting to appear that Bourne is not yet accepting of these types of green projects. My thoughts of putting solar panels on my roof has come to a screeching halt. I worry about spending the money, only to have the town decide that they don't agree or approve of these newer technologies.

It is my understanding that the Supercharger has been completed for a month and just needs approval. I hope that the approval is delayed for good reason and not for personal or political reasons. I look to you, my selectmen, for help on getting this situation resolved.

Thank You,
<<MassX1317>>

Can someone post phone numbers and email address of people we should be bugging? If there is an uproar, I suspect stuff will move.

It's just a few posts back from cfava. I think we have their attention now and am hopeful an official response from the Board will be received this afternoon.

Stephen Mealy Selectman 2016 [email protected]
Donald Ellis Member 2016 [email protected]
Peter Meier Chairman 2016 [email protected]
Donald Pickard Vice-Chairman 2015 [email protected]
Linda Zuern Member 2015 [email protected]

Can someone post phone numbers and email address of people we should be bugging? If there is an uproar, I suspect stuff will move.

Stephen MealySelectman 2016 [email protected]
Donald EllisMember 2016 [email protected]
Peter MeierChairman 2016 [email protected]
Donald PickardVice-Chairman 2015 [email protected]
Linda ZuernMember 2015 [email protected]
Call 508-759-0600, ask for the Board of Selectmen office

Anyone emailing or calling please be respectful.. Thanks.

Peter Meier wrote me back late last night saying the issue has been forwarded to the town administrator for action. The selectmen do not get involved in day to day operational issues. He said he would call on Friday (today). Yesterday was the first day that the selectmen had been aware of this delay. He apologized and said he would work to find a resolution ASAP.

Definitely be very respectful. These small town officials can be very petty and vindictive and they do have all the power.

And large companies can be dismissive of individuals and small groups that ask them to follow procedures. And based on the Supercharger rollout these small town officials can also be very helpful and help things move faster than in a city. It's unfortunate that some regulation is set at a municipal level when state or national would clearly seem to be better, but until we actually have the facts I think people here need to stop acting like children assuming that the parent saying no is a big meanie and it's sooooo unfair. This is a high voltage electrical installation we're discussing here.

And large companies can be dismissive of individuals and small groups that ask them to follow procedures. And based on the Supercharger rollout these small town officials can also be very helpful and help things move faster than in a city. It's unfortunate that some regulation is set at a municipal level when state or national would clearly seem to be better, but until we actually have the facts I think people here need to stop acting like children assuming that the parent saying no is a big meanie and it's sooooo unfair. This is a high voltage electrical installation we're discussing here.

In Massachusetts, the electrical code is set by the State.

Its important to continue the letters of support for the Tesla Sagamore Supercharger....

1. The 5 Selectmen are elected officials who are part-time (Somewhat like a Part-time Mayor)
a. They set town policy
b. Set the tax rate
c. Help propose budgets
d. Handle licenses, etc

2. Town Administrator is a full-time appointed position who works for the Selectmen to implement the policy.

Definitely be very respectful.

Absolutely agreed. I simply asked that they look into the matter and see if there was anything that could be done to expedite a resolution. We don't know all the facts and there is no need for finger pointing.

The response I received was very polite so my suggestion would be to hold off on further flooding of calls/emails to give them time to look into the matter. Dealing with more calls/emails will just slow things down.

I think the majority is being very respectful and your last sentence is in poor taste.

To respond to the message you were trying to convey...some very intelligent individuals at Tesla designed the Supercharger. If something were to go wrong at one of these stations and someone was electrocuted, Tesla would have a PR nightmare (and wouldn't have an adequate charging network) that would potentially put them out of business. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't communicate with the town and follow proper protocol.

I think we are very accepting of a project not being signed off for good reason. We don't want our cars to fry, we don't want to be injured while charging, etc. Based on the information that has been provided it appears that the site was built according to code and the inspector could have signed off if he wanted to. It appears that he is choosing not to because he is not happy about not being properly informed of the project (Tesla filed all the paper work, it was approved by the town...apparently he didn't get this information) and did not have a say in who the site was constructed by (may have wanted a local MA Master Electrician although this is not required).

What we are frustrated about is the lack of attempt to find a resolution.

The only people who have all the facts are Tesla and the inspector, but we are all free to ask for answers.

I sent the following to the selebtpeople... and cc'd [email protected]... I think my note was quite positive and respectful :)

Town of Bourne Selectpeople-- I am a long time resident of Mass, and a frequent driver from Boston to Cape Cod through Bourne. I am also a Tesla driver. I wanted to understand the delay in opening the Bourne Supercharging station.

Bourne has the opportunity to be the first supercharging station in Mass, and set a precedent for the future of automotive transportation and green activities. But, it seems the permitting of the site is delayed, without a clear time line for making the site live. Having driven by the site many times, and watched it's construction, I know that it has been complete for over a month.

Why not take this as an opportunity and herald the green, environmentally friendly, tech forward credentials of Bourne? Make a big deal about this supercharger opening, and get it open and available as soon as humanly possible. Together we have the opportunity to, literally, put Bourne on the map of the future of automotive transportation!

Got the following back:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I was not aware of the ongoing problem with the charging station until yesterday. This is has been forwarded to the Town administrator for action. I received a email from the Town Administrator asking the building inspector to follow up with our wiring inspector of why this is happening. We also have been told that we will have a memo on the Tesla Charging station by the end of business Friday.
Feel free to reach out to me in the future with any issue.

Sent from my iPad

Peter J. Meier
Chairman-Bourne Board of Selectmen
24 Perry Avenue
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
508-759-0600 - office
508-759-7809- home
508-274-7184- cell

Anyone care to speculate that Ed's role as the town's electrical inspector is very much part time, and that most of his income comes from doing higher-end electrical installations in Bourne?

[the irony almost had me spitting my coffee] We had a well dug in our town, and found the inspector owned the water company. Ended up gently pointing that out to the Great Commonwealth...

I wouldn't pound the "green" thing too hard. Getting rid of conflicts is green enough.