TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Sagamore (Bourne, MA)

Discussion in 'New England' started by MassX1317, Jun 14, 2014.

1. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

#1 MassX1317, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Sagamore Supercharger | Tesla Motors
    24 Meetinghouse Lane, Sagamore, MA

Nearby:
    Dunkin' Donuts
    Mr. G's Pizza
    Ye Olde Spirit Shoppe
    Scusset Beach General Store
    Chen's Kitchen
    McDonalds
    Friendlys
    MaryLous Coffee

Permits were approved this past Thursday. Noticed that work on the lot has started either today or yesterday.

Timeline:
    June 12 - Permit approved
    June 13/14 - Work started on clearing lot
    image2.jpg

Electrical work probably won't start for another month (mid-August)

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Auburn, MA should be #2!

3. BlueShift

BlueShift Member

If you can post the address of this location I'll add it to Superchargers

4. MassX1317

Added to original post

5. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

Exclusive for "Cape" traffic. How about that? Not to take anything away from more being better, but this one would be far down the priority list, for MA. More destination, than waypoint. At least it could be the start of something bigger, and may show that holding out, because of some secret CCS pact, isn't what we're seeing. I was giving bigger probability to the idea he was waiting out the ZEV MOU, and fast charger news, and would eventually drop some $1,000 adapters on New Englanders.

Afterall, Tesla was in the news last week, talking up infrastructure with BMW:
    Tesla, BMW executives meet to discuss electric car expansion - Newsday

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

That lot looks huge, why I bet they could even put a service center on that property someday...
    Or at least a "Tesla Mini-Mart" :)

7. MassX1317

It is going to be on it's on separate leased property with its own driveway. No worries about getting ICED here (I would hope so anyway). I think this could be a potentially good spot for a future solar panel canopy due to the amount of available space. For now it will just be the 8 stalls in an open lot.

8. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Disagree - ever try to get to P-town and back? Not that I have yet, but it's a popular spot.

9. tfinan

tfinan Member

Photos of coming Supercharger site taken Sunday, 6/29/14 from across Meetinghouse Lane.

Attached Files:

10. tfinan

tfinan Member

11. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

We are thinking of bringing the family (myself, wife + 4 kids) to vacation in the Cape Cod area around the second week of August with the Model S.

The first leg of the trip (Montreal - Albany SC) is confirmed feasible (thanks Zax123!). Given the dearth of rapid charging options in Vermont and Maine the SC in Sagamore would be extremely useful for us, avoiding a detour south to the East Greenwich SC.

It would be a first visit to that region for us. Still looking for lodging, given we do not know the area we will likely wind up going to a resort. Friends have recommended the Red Jacket group, still have to check with them with regards to destination charging options (in case the SC is not yet online).

Any suggestions from locals for an EV family with young kids (places to go or to avoid, things to see, functional charging stations) would be greatly appreciated !

Keep the pictures coming !

12. tga

tga Active Member

No need to detour to RI -

Albany->Sagamore - 220mi
    Albany->Tesla Store, Natick Mall - 160 mi
    Tesla Store, Natick Mall->Sagamore - 70 mi

13. tfinan

tfinan Member

It will only be an extra 34 miles to route through East Greenwich RI Supercharger from Albany. I do not personally believe the Sagamore supercharger will be ready in time for your trip.

I would recommend staying and/or spending extended time in that Hyannis/Rt. 132 area at the beginning and end of your trip just for charging. There are eight free J1772 chargers in the Hyannis area at four locations (I have tested 3 of the locations within the last month and the other looked functional). There are also two chargepoint locations with a total of four spots on Rt 132 in Hyannis. There are also two spots at the Nissan dealership. There is a camp ground with 50 amp charging listed in Eastham area. See plugshare.com for details on all of these sites.

Things to see:
    Woods Hole (watch seal feeding and visit very small aquarium for kids) http://aquarium.nefsc.noaa.gov/ also has short ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard.
    a drive along Route 6A on the north side http://capecodroute6a.com/wp/
    day trip on fast ferry (no cars) from Hyannis to Nantucket https://www.hylinecruises.com/
    visit beaches:
    -http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/SandyNeckPark/directions.aspx
    - National Seashore http://www.nps.gov/caco/index.htm
    Visit Provincetown
    - whale watching trip for kids http://ptownwhalewatch.com/
    - climb tower http://www.pilgrim-monument.org/

Send me a PM when you have your dates as I may be able to shuttle you somewhere fun while your car charges.

14. RDoc

RDoc S85D

There's also a dual charging station in Barnstable, but it's in a commuter parking lot and very subject to ICEing despite tow signs.

15. Jeeps17

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Of all the chargers around the Hyannis area (or wider if applicable), which are the ones that provide the most power? Are there any 70A-80A units (I have twin chargers)?

That information is hard to find, Plugshare is hit and miss...

16. tfinan

tfinan Member

The free chargers are 30 amps and deliver 22 mph recharge rate. I have not tried the chargepoint stations but would expect the same. You'll be fine with a 10-12 hr charging session. Once you get fully charged, you would be able to do maintenance charging with a regular outlet at your resort.

Perhaps a kind Cape Cod HPWC owner not yet on plugshare will reach out to you privately.

17. Jeeps17

Fingers crossed ! :wink:

Unfortunately there are no outlets that can be reached without an extension at my resort, according to the staff I talked to...

18. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

A couple of 50' 12 gauge extension cords don't weigh too much and work well for that 75 mile per day charging rate from a 3-prong plug.

19. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

July 3rd, Bourne Supercharger. When they build it, we will come. image.jpg