Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, VA - Apperson Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like a new stop-gap site (2 stalls only) has been installed in order to provide backup while the existing site is closed for rebuild.

My guess is that this will be a new permanent site (and they've only got power supply for two units so far - they just rushed it through so there was *something*).

upload_2020-12-31_11-19-34.png

Has been added to supercharge.info.

upload_2020-12-31_11-22-1.png

A 2-stall V3? Who knows, but my guess is it's more likely to be a pair of temporary 72 kW (or less) urban stalls on a pallet. They've certainly mislabeled power specs on the web for other similar sites...
Yeah, likely either the listing for the available power or of the number of stalls is wrong. As soon as someone local goes by and uploads some pics we'll see what the ground truth is.

Yeah, likely either the listing for the available power or of the number of stalls is wrong. As soon as someone local goes by and uploads some pics we'll see what the ground truth is.
Yeah, that is likely - the alternative is that they planned for this to be a full V3 but they only had existing capacity for two stalls, so in the interests of having it up and going quickly they just went live with two, with plans to upgrade it later.

Yeah, that is likely - the alternative is that they planned for this to be a full V3 but they only had existing capacity for two stalls, so in the interests of having it up and going quickly they just went live with two, with plans to upgrade it later.
Yeah, when they put in the Thornton, CO v3 Supercharger earlier this year, they only installed 6 of 8 Supercharging stalls. Several months later, they returned and hooked up the other 2 stalls.

Tesla's site still mentions the original 6 stalls but Supercharge.info correctly shows all 8.

It shows up as nearby chargers on my Tesla app. Always says “1 of 3” available even though there are only 2 chargers there. I have never charged at a 72KWh urban SC but the chargers at this one look like the SC in Arlington VA which is a 72KWh one.

It shows up as nearby chargers on my Tesla app. Always says “1 of 3” available even though there are only 2 chargers there. I have never charged at a 72KWh urban SC but the chargers at this one look like the SC in Arlington VA which is a 72KWh one.

kW, not kWh. Charging at a rate of 72 kW for 30 minutes will result in 36 kWh of energy being delivered.

I charged here today from 7% to 98% at -6C temp outside. It shows & behaves as a 150kW charger (as per the info in the map), not a v3 or 72kW one. I was getting 115 combined SuC+Charge rate for most part on my 2014 S85.

Thanks for the info. I’ll be passing through here in a couple of hours, although I’ll probably add some buffer at Wytheville just in case this location is full.

The navigation system shows this location as providing 150 kW even though it has urban dispensers. I think this is the first time I’ve come across this particular configuration.

7D661FF1-DFA8-41E1-B8B4-8DA0941AA08D.jpeg

Attachments

• F3D4BF0A-9AB8-4641-AC02-30E6AF757DF3.jpeg
    F3D4BF0A-9AB8-4641-AC02-30E6AF757DF3.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Thanks for the info. I’ll be passing through here in a couple of hours, although I’ll probably add some buffer at Wytheville just in case this location is full.

The navigation system shows this location as providing 150 kW even though it has urban dispensers. I think this is the first time I’ve come across this particular configuration.

View attachment 626421
Very interesting that the navigation explicitly calls it out as a temporary location in both the title and the description. With the description further indicating it's there because the normal Salem, VA location has the construction going on making it unavailable.

Any updates to this SC being re-opened anytime soon? I have to go up to Salem this week and am not thrilled at the prospect of charging at 72kW. I mean I will if I have to, but it would be nice if a nice new shinny new V3 charger opened on Monday.