Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Salem VA Supercharger in service now???

Very good question. Though the implied question is whether the pedestals were delivered yet.

Interesting comparison to the progress at the (new) Acworth, GA Supercharger. This one basically came out of nowhere and caught a lot of people by surprise because it wasn't even a "coming soon" location. Its a good location for people transiting up and down I-75, and means those people don't have to use a downtown Atlanta Supercharger.
But that location already has its pedestals.

So where's Salem's pedestals and will Tesla get it operational in time for my visit to Roanake in a month?

Very good question. Though the implied question is whether the pedestals were delivered yet.

Interesting comparison to the progress at the (new) Acworth, GA Supercharger. This one basically came out of nowhere and caught a lot of people by surprise because it wasn't even a "coming soon" location. Its a good location for people transiting up and down I-75, and means those people don't have to use a downtown Atlanta Supercharger.
But that location already has its pedestals.

So where's Salem's pedestals and will Tesla get it operational in time for my visit to Roanake in a month?

Didn’t know about the Acworth GA SC location! I agree, that’s a great location. Just south of Newnan would also be great, since the next one is Auburn.

Looks like the Salem location won’t be ready for my Lynchburg trip August 13 ☹️

Didn’t know about the Acworth GA SC location! I agree, that’s a great location. Just south of Newnan would also be great, since the next one is Auburn.

Looks like the Salem location won’t be ready for my Lynchburg trip August 13 ☹️

Just in case you weren't aware, Tesla have a SC under construction near Lynchburg.
Probably won't be ready either. :)

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
Wow, OK, that’s great. I don’t see anything on the Tesla Supercharger map for Lynchburg. That’ll be handy for lots of folks bringing/visiting students

Tesla's site is only useful for Superchargers which are open. Their "Coming soon" status is a running joke.

This site keeps track of actual Supercharger status. I check it every few days looking for locations which interest me.
supercharge.info

The site also presents a map of Superchargers in the three status categories: Permit, Construction and Open.
The Salem (aka Roanoke), VA Supercharger has been in Construction status now for 74 days, whereas Acworth, GA has had that status for only 7 days, though seems likely to open first.

The Permit status is the least useful, as shown by the Nashville, TN location (400 days since permit) and Fargo, ND (483 days).

Tesla's site is only useful for Superchargers which are open. Their "Coming soon" status is a running joke.

This site keeps track of actual Supercharger status. I check it every few days looking for locations which interest me.
supercharge.info

The site also presents a map of Superchargers in the three status categories: Permit, Construction and Open.
The Salem (aka Roanoke), VA Supercharger has been in Construction status now for 74 days, whereas Acworth, GA has had that status for only 7 days, though seems likely to open first.

The Permit status is the least useful, as shown by the Nashville, TN location (400 days since permit) and Fargo, ND (483 days).

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

I’ve only had my 2018 MS 100D for 7 months, but definitely enjoying it. My wife and I took 2 of our teenage granddaughters on a 11-day 2500 mile trip last month and it was awesome. Never had a charging issue.

supercharge.info

Over in the Most Superchargers visited thread, we leverage supercharge.info for a ton of different interactive, living visualizations. One allows you to see how long sites have been/were in construction. You can narrow the visualization by state, country, and year it opened.

Pop on over and take a look. Here is a view of Virginia as of today.

VA sc construction2.jpg

It's important to note that supercharge.info's information is crowd-sourced from here on TMC and other places. As such, some information can be misleading. For example, community members have come across nearly-complete Supercharger stations that weren't on supercharge.info. When these stations finally get discovered and added to the site, that entry ends up being the start-of-construction date. This makes stations like Chester and Wytheville look like they were built really quickly, when in reality nobody came across them until construction was almost finished.

Another example is permits. A blue pin is added to the map when someone comes across permits for a Supercharger site in their local county records. Sometimes permits and plans are abandoned, but the community has no way of knowing that, so the blue pins remain.

The whole thing is quite an undertaking. If you find it useful, consider supporting them. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled Salem, VA discussion.

With the relatively recent discoveries of the Salem and Lynchburg Supercharger locations, is anyone up for scoping out the Danville area Sheetz to see if there is any activity there? Looks like there is only one Sheetz in the area, but I'm not very familiar with it.

With the relatively recent discoveries of the Salem and Lynchburg Supercharger locations, is anyone up for scoping out the Danville area Sheetz to see if there is any activity there? Looks like there is only one Sheetz in the area, but I'm not very familiar with it.

I drove by this Sheetz last weekend to see if there was any indication of a SC being installed, but sadly I found nothing. I'm still hoping to eventually see one in Danville, and will report back if I find anything. The Sheetz there is in an ideal location since its near the intersection of business 29 and business 58.