Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no, need to go there tomorrow to visit my family. It's a 150 mile drive one way for us, then we need to drive some around town before returning. Doesn't look like it will be any fun looking for charging.

I wish they would have finished the supercharger. We have been putting our trip off waiting. Oh well. Wish us luck.

Oh no, need to go there tomorrow to visit my family. It's a 150 mile drive one way for us, then we need to drive some around town before returning. Doesn't look like it will be any fun looking for charging.

I wish they would have finished the supercharger. We have been putting our trip off waiting. Oh well. Wish us luck.

There a couple Tesla destination chargers in Lynchburg (Marriott Courtyard near Liberty U & Craddock Terry Hotel downtown). Perhaps one of them would allow you to charge long enough to pick up 50 miles or so.

I went by the Salem site last night. No change, still awaiting pedestals. There are destination chargers in the Roanoke area as well. The one at the Hampton in Salem is about four miles from this future supercharger. Don’t know which direction you are coming from the superchargers in Lexington, Wytheville, and Greensboro May be close enough to allow you to charge there, travel to the Salem area, then get back to the charger. If you can slow charge on a 110V overnight you may be ok depending on your battery capacity.

I was in Roanoke in May and charged for a couple of hours at Magic City Motors. This is a Ford dealership that has two FREE J1772 connections. I gained about 20 mph on my MS 100D. Since there are only two stations, you may want to call first to see if one is available.

20 mph = 40 miles in two hours. Still not wonderful, but it gave great peace of mind for getting back to the Greensboro supercharger after driving around town for a few days.

Since getting my Model S in March I've found travel pretty convenient, and the home charger very convenient, especially during a recent hurricane-induced gasoline rush for the ICE folks here in Florida. The trouble, soon to be solved for Roanoke, comes when you're visiting a place for several days, with no convenient supercharger. Even if you can find a place to charge, gaining only 20 mph seems awfully limiting.

20 mph = 40 miles in two hours. Still not wonderful, but it gave great peace of mind for getting back to the Greensboro supercharger after driving around town for a few days.

Since getting my Model S in March I've found travel pretty convenient, and the home charger very convenient, especially during a recent hurricane-induced gasoline rush for the ICE folks here in Florida. The trouble, soon to be solved for Roanoke, comes when you're visiting a place for several days, with no convenient supercharger. Even if you can find a place to charge, gaining only 20 mph seems awfully limiting.

Gotcha. When I visited Lynchburg VA recently, I specifically chose to stay at one of the 2 hotels that had Tesla destination chargers. Left Lynchburg with a full charge (for free)

Reactions: swengl
My in-laws live in Roanoke, so I'm eagerly awaiting this Supercharger.

Any accessible chargers at Smith Mountain Lake? Maybe a marina or RV park? Literally nothing on Plugshare in that area. Ironic considering the dam(n) lake was made to create electricity.

2 hours for 20 miles???
I would go to the Hotel Roanoke, tell them you are going to have lunch and let the Valet take your car and plug in.

Then walk across the sky bridge to downtown instead, grab a great meal at one of the locations available and come back in an hour to more miles than that.

The HR has been a lifesaver for me in that area so far, looking forward to the Salem SC.

Reactions: pinke2323