Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D9CEC68A-48F2-44F1-A303-2636870FF79D.jpeg
CE733660-2EBE-4A98-B27C-9309CBD7992F.jpeg
68D4F387-8DCF-4BF7-8B7C-0BFDC4474BF2.jpeg
2EF834CA-44FD-478F-9DBB-DA139CF7B363.jpeg
Lots of rain recently, not a lot of progress.

This is awesome. Whenever I have traveled up there I had to make sure I had satisfactory Destination charging overnight to make it back down to NC.

So I'm guessing it's still a V2 charger, but I'm wondering if possibly they are only installing V3 chargers now if they are new? One (or many) can only dream.....

I just stopped by. The gal at the register said 'end of June'. One of the dudes doing the work said 'end of July'. All I know is that 6/7 date I was given...whether June 7th or 6 July are both kind of unlikely.

There is definite progress and looks to be 8 slots.
June21update1.jpg

The white boxes had been wrapped up in the last set of photos I took (on the SWVA Tesla owner facebook page).
June21update2.jpg

The end of July sounds reasonable. There had been a gap in work at one point, and the weather later didn't help I'm sure.

Here was the original facebook message saying 6/7. Then again, the YEAR wasn't specified :D
IMG_6559.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje
I've watched scores of these Superchargers being built around the country now and one thing has remained constant...all early predictions about when the site will open turn out to be wrong.

Whenever I visit a place that is under construction, I no longer ask any "when" type questions. I talk about my car and charging, I tell them I appreciate their efforts and that I'll look forward to using the charger when it is complete. No one there that doesn't work for Tesla knows when the site will be complete and ready to use.

I was hoping to stop here on my drive from Montreal to Sarasota on Saturday night. Its not too big a deal if its not done since I was planning to overnight in the Roanoke area anyways so I can always find a hotel with charging. It'll be good to have once its done.

@agloutney….Hotel Roanoke is a wonderful hotel that has destination charging (2 HPWCs). I would recommend it over the other hotels in town (if the Hotel Roanoke is full or too pricey, the Hampton Inn in Salem would be my 2nd choice). Short walk from Hotel Roanoke to downtown which has abundant food choices and some shops. Enjoy!

Reactions: swengl
Thanks for those suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out. We're four of us traveling and i'm only one vote haha! I'm hoping to get there around 8pm and be out super early so really just need a couple beds for the night and a full charge in the morning. I think I saw a Holiday Inn express with four Tesla plugs but I'll definitely look at other options especially if they're further south towards Greensboro. I'll be going south to I95 in the morning.

I was hoping to stop here on my drive from Montreal to Sarasota on Saturday night. Its not too big a deal if its not done since I was planning to overnight in the Roanoke area anyways so I can always find a hotel with charging. It'll be good to have once its done.
If you come down I-81, you could stop in Lexington to get a full charge before stopping in Roanoke. Also, the PlugShare app might be a decent option if you want to reach out to one of the local owners in the area.