Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any updates anyone?

I just drove by there, nothing impressive since the last post...except maybe they have done some shrubbery additions (so they must be getting closer). Earlier in the week I'd seen some little white flags that looked like markers--maybe some tag outs? Didn't see them today so hopefully that means the electric company has been by. Still waiting on the actual supercharger structures though.

9CC4AF6E-67CD-432B-B49C-85D1B4986D56.jpeg
69141150-05F3-4E7D-AA8C-C1230B401227.jpeg
A0E1DFD3-AEFB-4C12-B6F9-34DD91FCE0F5.jpeg

Went be today. Don’t know where the workers are. No trucks or trailers with equipment either. No Tesla boxes with pedestals waiting to be installed. Will be up and charging....soon...

People who are only following the progress of this specific supercharger build may not be aware, but there is pretty much a total shortage of the charging pedestals right now. There are probably more than a dozen locations that are all waiting for them. All of them in the same state of completion as Salem. The latest rumor is that the resupply will start to flow around the end of July. So, don't expect to see any movement until the first half of August. There's literally nothing for the contractors to do until the parts show up.

So, anyone have any idea when this Supercharger will be completed?
Someone earlier projected early July, but that has come and gone.
Salem is right in the middle of the pack in terms of construction time for Virginia. WIth that said, the most recent posts above with photos and @mociaf9's statement about pedestals, which I've also heard but have little proof of, I'd say that Salem is going to end up as an outlier in Virginia. In the image, red superchargers are open and orange superchargers are under construction. Live interactive visualization can be found here. This data is from supercharge.info so is only as good as we the crowd.

VA sc construction.jpg

There had been a bunch of little white flags that looked like tag-outs for an inspection. They are gone now and the landscaping has advanced. Per above, it really does look like all they need are the pedestals. It's not like I NEED the supercharger (as I live a hair over a mile away) but it sure is cool.

edited so I could see exactly how far away it is...

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Does anyone know or suspect if this is because they are waiting for the new v3 equipment?

There was a nation-wide pedestal shortage that is just now starting to clear. This and other sites that have been stuck waiting for pedestals should be getting finished up in the coming weeks.

I suspect the shortage was tangentially related to V3, as Tesla transitions manufacturing of charging equipment from wherever it was happening to Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo. Just my personal theory.

There was a nation-wide pedestal shortage that is just now starting to clear. This and other sites that have been stuck waiting for pedestals should be getting finished up in the coming weeks.

I suspect the shortage was tangentially related to V3, as Tesla transitions manufacturing of charging equipment from wherever it was happening to Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo. Just my personal theory.

So we are hoping then that the sites waiting for pedestals will be v3 sites? Or are the cabinets already in place and indicate they are still v2?