Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salem, Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roanoke, Salem, Botetourt, Blacksburg folks it looks like a Supercharger is going in at the Sheetz in West Salem!
It doesn't seem there is any information about it on supercharger.info

@ZoomDoggie snagged these pics and her hubby asked the Sheetz folks and they confirm should be up and running in 45 days.

Attachments

• Supercharger 1.jpg
    Supercharger 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 473
  • SUpercharger.jpg
    SUpercharger.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 345
Roanoke, Salem, Botetourt, Blacksburg folks it looks like a Supercharger is going in at the Sheetz in West Salem!
It doesn't seem there is any information about it on supercharger.info

@ZoomDoggie snagged these pics and her hubby asked the Sheetz folks and they confirm should be up and running in 45 days.
From the description and pictures, it looks like---

Address: 1340 W. Main St.; Salem, VA 24153
GPS: 37.289384, -80.079866

Seems like it's about 1.5 mi. from the nearest on/off ramp to I-81.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Nice.

Not to disprove the fact, but did the Sheetz workers explicitly state that this is a Supercharger? The reason I ask is because some Sheetz have also been installing some Electrify America chargers and they have a somewhat similar setup.

From the description and pictures, it looks like---

Address: 1340 W. Main St.; Salem, VA 24153
GPS: 37.289384, -80.079866

Seems like it's about 1.5 mi. from the nearest on/off ramp to I-81.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Excellent, because we have a long weekend planned in Roanake in a few months, and having a Supercharger in town just makes life so very much easier.
Yes, very selfish, but also very nice because we can stay in any hotel we want not just one with some kind of charger.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Salem, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11, US-460
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81
To: Lexington, VA - 57.2 miles
Diversion: 2.7 miles
To: Staunton, VA - 87.8 miles

Splits the largest gap on I-81 (119.2 miles) between Wytheville, VA and Lexington, VA.

Nice.

Not to disprove the fact, but did the Sheetz workers explicitly state that this is a Supercharger? The reason I ask is because some Sheetz have also been installing some Electrify America chargers and they have a somewhat similar setup.

I went in later and according to the young lady at the counter it is definitely for superchargers and there were some Teslas there a week prior and she got to drive one. That said, she may have been mistaken...I'll swing by there tomorrow (well later today) and check.

I will be profoundly disappointed if this is some other electric charger.

The easiest exit to take would be 137, and that will put you on the correct side of the road. Exit 140 would route you through the downtown area--and if you are looking for something tastier to eat that would be the way to go.
edited to add: Apparently in November I'd posted a message to Sheetz on facebook asking if they would be doing something in Roanoke/Salem. The answer was " Unfortunately we don't have any information to share at this time.". I just messaged them again :D. Heck, they answered the first time, maybe they will again. I'd forgotten I'd done that but when I landed on their page just now the conversation came up. I am such a nerd.

Last edited:
I live 10 minutes away and will keep a close eye on the site. Note: this area gets very suggested during Salem "rush hour" but is easily to access from I-81. Chik-fil-A, Firehouse, Starbusk's, McD's all within walking distance. Great news!

I live about a mile away and go by it frequently, the crossroad leads up to the high school.

Plus a Mexican place (the Chinese one in the little mall right next to the Urgent Care is kind of sucky though). Alessandros is pretty decent. It's not the 'cute' part of town, but easy in/out.

Are you on the facebook page for Roanoke/Salem? I think there are 21 of us so far.

Salem, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11, US-460
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81
To: Lexington, VA - 57.2 miles
Diversion: 2.7 miles
To: Staunton, VA - 87.8 miles

Splits the largest gap on I-81 (119.2 miles) between Wytheville, VA and Lexington, VA.

I love it. It's pretty much the perfect place to stop on my way home to see my parents in Pearisburg. To me, the I-81 corridor is now complete.

Reactions: HungryAsian